[REQ] Material Editor - UV_set name.

Feature requests, bug reports and related discussion
Post Reply
13 posts • Page 1 of 1
User avatar
Doug Armand
Indigo 100
Posts: 1038
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 5:49 pm
Location: London UK

[REQ] Material Editor - UV_set name.

Post by Doug Armand » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:15 pm

Re:Material Editor

Would it possible to set in options a default name for uv_set ?.

I use Blender and it names UV sets as 'UVTex' by default and it would be nice to tell Material Editor to use this as the uv_set by default. I assume other modelling program do something similar with naming?

Problem at the moment is that unless I use 'default' as UVset in Blender, also a pain, I have to change it in Material Editor. If its a complex material this is annoying and time consuming - especially as I normally notice the mistake only when I start rendering.

Even worse if I change in Material Editor the 'default' uv_set to 'UVTex' then Material Editor won't test render.

Means a lot of changing uv_sets !
Doug

Doug Armand

User avatar
suvakas
3rd Place Winner
Posts: 2613
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:08 pm
Location: Estonia
Contact:

Re: [REQ] Material Editor - UV_set name.

Post by suvakas » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:37 am

Wouldn't it be more logical to build the exporter to be compatible with Indigo and not the other way around ?
No other exporter uses "UVTex" as far as I know. "default" has been ..well..the default for a long time already. I'd say this is a req for Blendigo.

User avatar
pixie
Indigo 100
Posts: 2346
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:54 am
Location: Away from paradise
3D Software: Cinema 4D
Contact:

Re: [REQ] Material Editor - UV_set name.

Post by pixie » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:38 am

@suvakas:
+1

User avatar
fused
Developer
Posts: 3648
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:19 am
Location: Berlin, Germany
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Re: [REQ] Material Editor - UV_set name.

Post by fused » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:39 am

Aye. Iirc, Nick advised exporter devs quite a long time ago that the default uv set name should be "default".

User avatar
Doug Armand
Indigo 100
Posts: 1038
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 5:49 pm
Location: London UK

Re: [REQ] Material Editor - UV_set name.

Post by Doug Armand » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:51 am

suvakas wrote:Wouldn't it be more logical to build the exporter to be compatible with Indigo and not the other way around ?
No other exporter uses "UVTex" as far as I know. "default" has been ..well..the default for a long time already. I'd say this is a req for Blendigo.
I don't really care at what point it happens just so long as it's easy for me.

edited:

I still think it's a design fault that if you change the uv_set in Material Editor to anything other than 'default' it wont test render the material - seems a bit limiting to me.
Doug

Doug Armand

User avatar
suvakas
3rd Place Winner
Posts: 2613
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:08 pm
Location: Estonia
Contact:

Re: [REQ] Material Editor - UV_set name.

Post by suvakas » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:35 am

Users should not be able to edit the UV set names at all (in my opinion).
All material preview models should use the UV set named "default" and that's it.
And all exporters should be compatible to that behaviour.

User avatar
Doug Armand
Indigo 100
Posts: 1038
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 5:49 pm
Location: London UK

Re: [REQ] Material Editor - UV_set name.

Post by Doug Armand » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:14 am

suvakas wrote:Users should not be able to edit the UV set names at all (in my opinion).
All material preview models should use the UV set named "default" and that's it.
And all exporters should be compatible to that behaviour.
Well as long as it's consistent and easy I'm not bothered how it's done.
Does anyone know how to set up Blender to use 'default' as a default name for UV's?
Doug

Doug Armand

User avatar
Zom-B
1st Place 100
Posts: 4701
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:18 pm
Location: ´'`\_(ò_Ó)_/´'`
Contact:

Re: [REQ] Material Editor - UV_set name.

Post by Zom-B » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:35 am

suvakas wrote:...All material preview models should use the UV set named "default" and that's it...
maybe a litle OT, but what about multiple UV sets for a mesh file... am I the only one missing this feature?!
If someday maybe available, automated UV names like default2, default3 etc. would be the way to go... wouldn't it?
polygonmanufaktur.de

User avatar
suvakas
3rd Place Winner
Posts: 2613
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:08 pm
Location: Estonia
Contact:

Re: [REQ] Material Editor - UV_set name.

Post by suvakas » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:39 am

You can't tweak UV's of preview model anyway. Why would you need multiple UV sets for preview ?

StompinTom
Indigo 100
Posts: 1828
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:33 pm

Re: [REQ] Material Editor - UV_set name.

Post by StompinTom » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:28 am

How about the exporters just change any UV set names to 'default' when using the material preview? I know what you mean, and it is a bitch, but I haven't found a way in Blender to call the default UV sets anything other than UVTex. You can change the name by looking under F9, in the Mesh panel, where it says UV Texture and has a list of all your UV sets. But for multiple objects it's a hassle...

What if, as a way of troubleshooting it, if the material can't find the specified UV set when it renders, it just uses the first available UV set on the object? So if the material is asking for 'default', but the object only has 'UVTex', Indigo switches to that... sort of an auto-detection that would save a lot of time.

User avatar
Doug Armand
Indigo 100
Posts: 1038
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 5:49 pm
Location: London UK

Re: [REQ] Material Editor - UV_set name.

Post by Doug Armand » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:06 pm

StompinTom wrote:How about the exporters just change any UV set names to 'default' when using the material preview? I know what you mean, and it is a bitch, but I haven't found a way in Blender to call the default UV sets anything other than UVTex. You can change the name by looking under F9, in the Mesh panel, where it says UV Texture and has a list of all your UV sets. But for multiple objects it's a hassle...

What if, as a way of troubleshooting it, if the material can't find the specified UV set when it renders, it just uses the first available UV set on the object? So if the material is asking for 'default', but the object only has 'UVTex', Indigo switches to that... sort of an auto-detection that would save a lot of time.
Good suggestions - I'd be happy if the exporter automatically changed any uv sets to 'default'.
Doug

Doug Armand

User avatar
suvakas
3rd Place Winner
Posts: 2613
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:08 pm
Location: Estonia
Contact:

Re: [REQ] Material Editor - UV_set name.

Post by suvakas » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:26 pm

Exactly! That's how 3ds Max exporter works. So I'm telling you guys, it's a request for Blendigo.

User avatar
Doug Armand
Indigo 100
Posts: 1038
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 5:49 pm
Location: London UK

Re: [REQ] Material Editor - UV_set name.

Post by Doug Armand » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:43 pm

suvakas wrote:Exactly! That's how 3ds Max exporter works. So I'm telling you guys, it's a request for Blendigo.
OK I'll make a request in Blender forum for this
Doug

Doug Armand

Post Reply
13 posts • Page 1 of 1