[REQ] Material Editor - UV_set name.
- Doug Armand

- Posts: 1038
- Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 5:49 pm
- Location: London UK
[REQ] Material Editor - UV_set name.
Re:Material Editor
Would it possible to set in options a default name for uv_set ?.
I use Blender and it names UV sets as 'UVTex' by default and it would be nice to tell Material Editor to use this as the uv_set by default. I assume other modelling program do something similar with naming?
Problem at the moment is that unless I use 'default' as UVset in Blender, also a pain, I have to change it in Material Editor. If its a complex material this is annoying and time consuming - especially as I normally notice the mistake only when I start rendering.
Even worse if I change in Material Editor the 'default' uv_set to 'UVTex' then Material Editor won't test render.
Means a lot of changing uv_sets !
Would it possible to set in options a default name for uv_set ?.
I use Blender and it names UV sets as 'UVTex' by default and it would be nice to tell Material Editor to use this as the uv_set by default. I assume other modelling program do something similar with naming?
Problem at the moment is that unless I use 'default' as UVset in Blender, also a pain, I have to change it in Material Editor. If its a complex material this is annoying and time consuming - especially as I normally notice the mistake only when I start rendering.
Even worse if I change in Material Editor the 'default' uv_set to 'UVTex' then Material Editor won't test render.
Means a lot of changing uv_sets !
Doug
Doug Armand
Doug Armand
Re: [REQ] Material Editor - UV_set name.
Wouldn't it be more logical to build the exporter to be compatible with Indigo and not the other way around ?
No other exporter uses "UVTex" as far as I know. "default" has been ..well..the default for a long time already. I'd say this is a req for Blendigo.
No other exporter uses "UVTex" as far as I know. "default" has been ..well..the default for a long time already. I'd say this is a req for Blendigo.
Re: [REQ] Material Editor - UV_set name.
Aye. Iirc, Nick advised exporter devs quite a long time ago that the default uv set name should be "default".
- Doug Armand

- Posts: 1038
- Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 5:49 pm
- Location: London UK
Re: [REQ] Material Editor - UV_set name.
I don't really care at what point it happens just so long as it's easy for me.suvakas wrote:Wouldn't it be more logical to build the exporter to be compatible with Indigo and not the other way around ?
No other exporter uses "UVTex" as far as I know. "default" has been ..well..the default for a long time already. I'd say this is a req for Blendigo.
edited:
I still think it's a design fault that if you change the uv_set in Material Editor to anything other than 'default' it wont test render the material - seems a bit limiting to me.
Doug
Doug Armand
Doug Armand
Re: [REQ] Material Editor - UV_set name.
Users should not be able to edit the UV set names at all (in my opinion).
All material preview models should use the UV set named "default" and that's it.
And all exporters should be compatible to that behaviour.
All material preview models should use the UV set named "default" and that's it.
And all exporters should be compatible to that behaviour.
- Doug Armand

- Posts: 1038
- Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 5:49 pm
- Location: London UK
Re: [REQ] Material Editor - UV_set name.
Well as long as it's consistent and easy I'm not bothered how it's done.suvakas wrote:Users should not be able to edit the UV set names at all (in my opinion).
All material preview models should use the UV set named "default" and that's it.
And all exporters should be compatible to that behaviour.
Does anyone know how to set up Blender to use 'default' as a default name for UV's?
Doug
Doug Armand
Doug Armand
Re: [REQ] Material Editor - UV_set name.
maybe a litle OT, but what about multiple UV sets for a mesh file... am I the only one missing this feature?!suvakas wrote:...All material preview models should use the UV set named "default" and that's it...
If someday maybe available, automated UV names like default2, default3 etc. would be the way to go... wouldn't it?
polygonmanufaktur.de
Re: [REQ] Material Editor - UV_set name.
You can't tweak UV's of preview model anyway. Why would you need multiple UV sets for preview ?
-
StompinTom

- Posts: 1828
- Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:33 pm
Re: [REQ] Material Editor - UV_set name.
How about the exporters just change any UV set names to 'default' when using the material preview? I know what you mean, and it is a bitch, but I haven't found a way in Blender to call the default UV sets anything other than UVTex. You can change the name by looking under F9, in the Mesh panel, where it says UV Texture and has a list of all your UV sets. But for multiple objects it's a hassle...
What if, as a way of troubleshooting it, if the material can't find the specified UV set when it renders, it just uses the first available UV set on the object? So if the material is asking for 'default', but the object only has 'UVTex', Indigo switches to that... sort of an auto-detection that would save a lot of time.
What if, as a way of troubleshooting it, if the material can't find the specified UV set when it renders, it just uses the first available UV set on the object? So if the material is asking for 'default', but the object only has 'UVTex', Indigo switches to that... sort of an auto-detection that would save a lot of time.
- Doug Armand

- Posts: 1038
- Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 5:49 pm
- Location: London UK
Re: [REQ] Material Editor - UV_set name.
Good suggestions - I'd be happy if the exporter automatically changed any uv sets to 'default'.StompinTom wrote:How about the exporters just change any UV set names to 'default' when using the material preview? I know what you mean, and it is a bitch, but I haven't found a way in Blender to call the default UV sets anything other than UVTex. You can change the name by looking under F9, in the Mesh panel, where it says UV Texture and has a list of all your UV sets. But for multiple objects it's a hassle...
What if, as a way of troubleshooting it, if the material can't find the specified UV set when it renders, it just uses the first available UV set on the object? So if the material is asking for 'default', but the object only has 'UVTex', Indigo switches to that... sort of an auto-detection that would save a lot of time.
Doug
Doug Armand
Doug Armand
Re: [REQ] Material Editor - UV_set name.
Exactly! That's how 3ds Max exporter works. So I'm telling you guys, it's a request for Blendigo.
- Doug Armand

- Posts: 1038
- Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 5:49 pm
- Location: London UK
Re: [REQ] Material Editor - UV_set name.
OK I'll make a request in Blender forum for thissuvakas wrote:Exactly! That's how 3ds Max exporter works. So I'm telling you guys, it's a request for Blendigo.
Doug
Doug Armand
Doug Armand


