I am currently working on a project which involves modeling light reflections. The part of the project I'm working on is essentially a vertical duct sitting outdoors. It's 15 ft tall by 5 ft square and the inside is covered in highly reflective panels.
The biggest problem I'm having is converting engineering parameters to Blender/Indigo parameters. The engineering parameter I'm concerned with is the reflectivity (a value from 0-1 which represents how much of incoming light is reflected as a percentage). The reflective panels we're using have a reflectivity of .97 which is to say 3% of the light hitting the surface is absorbed.
After looking around I found a nice example of a reflective panel on the Indigo website (Specularity). The part that is strange to me is that the artist noted that he had to set the 'hardness' to 1 million to get the nice reflective mirror on the left. What is the max 'hardness' in Indigo?
All of my tests so far have been modeled in Blender. I would use professional engineering software but for a single license of all the packages I'd need it would cost somewhere between $8000 and $10,000 which is a bit out of the project's budget. Not only that but the license would only be for a year. How might I set the reflectivity in terms of Blender/Indigo parameters?
Thanks for any help you can provide.
Engineering Applications
Hello Gizma,
I can not answer to your problem, because I have the same one.
Right now I make a lot of test to see how I can use Indigo in industrial design and I also play with all the parameters.
I think, there is a generall unit problem (or simply how to adjust the parameters) in indigo.
I personaly use Pro/Engineer and export the scene in obj format, this works well, but all my scenes are in millimeters.
(I can change the model units without problem)
The first problem appears in blender, because when you import an obj file in millimeter you do not see the camera anymore, the entire sccene is clipped (I am beginner with blender).
The second problem is that indigo have some units but noone talk about this in their tests.
Third, indigo is still in developpment, and what you can read in the docs is not actuall.
I hope I could help you more but I am not the specialist here.
Regards, and welcome here
Phil
I can not answer to your problem, because I have the same one.
Right now I make a lot of test to see how I can use Indigo in industrial design and I also play with all the parameters.
I think, there is a generall unit problem (or simply how to adjust the parameters) in indigo.
I personaly use Pro/Engineer and export the scene in obj format, this works well, but all my scenes are in millimeters.
(I can change the model units without problem)
The first problem appears in blender, because when you import an obj file in millimeter you do not see the camera anymore, the entire sccene is clipped (I am beginner with blender).
The second problem is that indigo have some units but noone talk about this in their tests.
Third, indigo is still in developpment, and what you can read in the docs is not actuall.
I hope I could help you more but I am not the specialist here.
Regards, and welcome here
Phil