[ISSUE] - Probably bug in the QMC sampler [solved somehow]
[ISSUE] - Probably bug in the QMC sampler [solved somehow]
Last edited by psor on Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:10 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"The sleeper must awaken"
Re: Probably bug in the QMC sampler
The material did get a checkerboard in the reflections?
Just wondering if i did spot the right bug
Just wondering if i did spot the right bug
Re: Probably bug in the QMC sampler
No the inside is also brown'ish not green'ish! *LOOOL*
Ya next time I'll point it out better.

take care
psor
Ya next time I'll point it out better.
take care
psor
"The sleeper must awaken"
Re: Probably bug in the QMC sampler
Cant quite see why it should be green tough 
But i'l have to wonder why is there a checkerboard reflection in the first render and not in the second?
But i'l have to wonder why is there a checkerboard reflection in the first render and not in the second?
Re: Probably bug in the QMC sampler
*LOL* ... but it is, very slightly - I've to admit.Stromberg wrote:Cant quite see why it should be green tough
That's the problem you see.Stromberg wrote:But i'l have to wonder why is there a checkerboard reflection in the first render and not in the second?
take care
psor
"The sleeper must awaken"
Re: Probably bug in the QMC sampler
Thats what i tought, but then you said the bug was the color on the ceramic bowl... i'm kinda confused here
Is the checkerboard the bug or the wrong color, or both?
Is the checkerboard the bug or the wrong color, or both?
Re: Probably bug in the QMC sampler
Try rendering for longer and see if the artefacts disappear.
Re: Probably bug in the QMC sampler
Erm, how about I send you the scene and
you do it by yourself. I'm on a slow P4 right
now and already did let it render for about
17 hours and to ~15000 s/px.

@Stromberg
It's about the artefacts on the outside of
the tee cup not the color.
take care
psor
you do it by yourself. I'm on a slow P4 right
now and already did let it render for about
17 hours and to ~15000 s/px.
@Stromberg
It's about the artefacts on the outside of
the tee cup not the color.
take care
psor
"The sleeper must awaken"
Re: Probably bug in the QMC sampler
@psor - email us the scene and we'll try it out.
From our analysis there was a possibility that with the sampling code in 2.2, that noise would go down - then eventually start going up again.
If that is the case then we'll have to look into it.
From our analysis there was a possibility that with the sampling code in 2.2, that noise would go down - then eventually start going up again.
If that is the case then we'll have to look into it.
Re: Probably bug in the QMC sampler
I'm back and have good news.

Last night I did a quick test with the scene. I did a region rendering of the region that
was showing the artifacts. And what I did recognized after they did show up after 7h
that they where way smaller then before. I guess because of the region rendering and
thus the smaller region the sampler had to take care of. Then I did let it render even
longer. It's now at ~10000 s/px after 22h and the artifacts are gone.
And because I do recall that Maxwell Render had a similar issue a long time ago,
I ask you to change the sampler a tiny bit again. It's - at least for me - very bad
to have to wait for a long, long time, just to get rid of the QMC artifacts. I hope
you can understand this. I'm hopefully not the only person that did fall into this
rabbit hole. Well, with that being said, I hope to see a small update in the next
version. So yes Nik, to let it render longer is a workaround but not a good
solution anyway.
Thanks for listening and for your awesome work guys!
edit: I've uploaded an animated .png (3.74MB) so you can see the progress
on the noise and artifacts of the sampler. It's a render history that represents 90
pictures taken every 15 minutes then cropped and resized to make it more obvious.
And yes I know it's not a bug. Anyway it's uncomfortable.
edit: I've added the scene so it's easier for you to test the sampler.
edit: It's not the sampler, it's the integrator. Bidirectional PT strikes again, as usual.
take care
psor
Last night I did a quick test with the scene. I did a region rendering of the region that
was showing the artifacts. And what I did recognized after they did show up after 7h
that they where way smaller then before. I guess because of the region rendering and
thus the smaller region the sampler had to take care of. Then I did let it render even
longer. It's now at ~10000 s/px after 22h and the artifacts are gone.
And because I do recall that Maxwell Render had a similar issue a long time ago,
I ask you to change the sampler a tiny bit again. It's - at least for me - very bad
to have to wait for a long, long time, just to get rid of the QMC artifacts. I hope
you can understand this. I'm hopefully not the only person that did fall into this
rabbit hole. Well, with that being said, I hope to see a small update in the next
version. So yes Nik, to let it render longer is a workaround but not a good
solution anyway.
Thanks for listening and for your awesome work guys!
edit: I've uploaded an animated .png (3.74MB) so you can see the progress
on the noise and artifacts of the sampler. It's a render history that represents 90
pictures taken every 15 minutes then cropped and resized to make it more obvious.
And yes I know it's not a bug. Anyway it's uncomfortable.
edit: I've added the scene so it's easier for you to test the sampler.
edit: It's not the sampler, it's the integrator. Bidirectional PT strikes again, as usual.
take care
psor
- Attachments
-
- 2009_09_15_Portable_Studio_Setup_02a.zip
- Portable Studio Setup showing artifacts after a while.
- (921.56 KiB) Downloaded 435 times
"The sleeper must awaken"
Re: [ISSUE] - Probably bug in the QMC sampler [solved somehow]
Up, bug still not fix
, Ono, Benn, any news about it?
I use env map / Bidir, 2000 spp
thanks in advance
I use env map / Bidir, 2000 spp
thanks in advance
- Attachments
-
- Capture.JPG (25.17 KiB) Viewed 3902 times
-
- 20046100-056.png (150.52 KiB) Viewed 3903 times
-
- Capture.JPG (47.35 KiB) Viewed 3939 times


