Material preview scene bump map on base

Announcements, requests and support regarding the Blender Indigo export script
User avatar
CTZn
Posts: 7240
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:34 pm
Location: Paris, France

Post by CTZn » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:48 am

Psychotron80 wrote:CTZn...how do you normalize normals..?
I don't use blender specifically, sorry. I think I meant to "unitize" normals, as I'm supposing that both objects have a different normal lenght.

As kram said, if I am correct.
obsolete asset

Psychotron80
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:18 pm

Post by Psychotron80 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:37 am

I confirm that in Blender the normals of the main sphere and the base are VERY different (i.e. the latter are barely visible). this explains the issue, and also shows that the problem is intrinsic to the MatDB preview scene, and not to Blendigo. am I correct?

If yes, should I notify this in another forum, like the "Material database" forum?

Psychotron80
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:18 pm

Post by Psychotron80 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:44 am

....and I just found the problem (in the Blender file): the base and the main sphere have been scaled differently in Object mode, thus the size of their normals is different!

again: who should I notify this to?

thanks for helping me,

Psy

Psychotron80
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:18 pm

Post by Psychotron80 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:25 am

that's better...
Attachments
im1235342258.jpg
im1235342258.jpg (54.48 KiB) Viewed 4087 times

User avatar
Borgleader
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:48 am

Post by Borgleader » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:22 pm

Thats awsome :)
benn hired a mercenary to kill my sig...

User avatar
CTZn
Posts: 7240
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:34 pm
Location: Paris, France

Post by CTZn » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:42 pm

Cool Psychotron80 !

If you haven't reported already I'll try to find a relevant place to do so.

edit: If you can confirm that the preview scene found here is wrong then report in the same thread !
obsolete asset

Psychotron80
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:18 pm

Post by Psychotron80 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:53 pm

posted the issue in the forum where I found the Blender scene (your link CTZn)

thanks guys,

Psy

User avatar
fused
Developer
Posts: 3648
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:19 am
Location: Berlin, Germany
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by fused » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:26 am

its not the normals. indigo doesnt accept un-normalize normals.
its the sacle of the object, the matrix. it manipulates the bump and displacement, too.

a 0.001 scaled model will only have 0.001 sacled bump/displacement.

edit: oh lol, i missed the second page :P

User avatar
CTZn
Posts: 7240
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:34 pm
Location: Paris, France

Post by CTZn » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:02 am

fused wrote:its not the normals. indigo doesnt accept un-normalize normals.
That's right I should have remembered that :)
obsolete asset

Psychotron80
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:18 pm

Post by Psychotron80 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:20 am

looks like my post on the relevant forum has been quite ignored....

CTZn, what do you think: should I post somewhere else (maybe the "bugs and requests" forum), or just wait?

thanks,

Psy

User avatar
Zom-B
1st Place 100
Posts: 4701
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:18 pm
Location: ´'`\_(ò_Ó)_/´'`
Contact:

Post by Zom-B » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:35 am

I would just zip and upload the exported files here, and notify Ben via eMail... he seems to be the website Admin atm, I also can ask fused since he was the head behind the mdb.

Until then every Exporter writer can grab your file from here and integrate it to their upcoming releases too :)
polygonmanufaktur.de

Psychotron80
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:18 pm

Post by Psychotron80 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:16 am

ZomB hmm, not really: I think that every exporter relies on the matDB preview scene intergrated in the Indigo package...am I wrong?

User avatar
SmartDen
Developer
Posts: 999
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:58 pm
Location: Canary Islands
Contact:

Post by SmartDen » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:47 am

preview scene is not integrated into indigo package ;)
Check normals, dude!

Image
Image

User avatar
Zom-B
1st Place 100
Posts: 4701
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:18 pm
Location: ´'`\_(ò_Ó)_/´'`
Contact:

Post by Zom-B » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:05 am

For example in Cindigo The Preview Scene is integrated and is used as standard for preview rendering materials.
This Preview is exactly the same as the one for the MDB, so you can easily generate materials in C4D render a Preview and Export the files via Cindigo :)

Maybe other Exportes don't use it -.-
polygonmanufaktur.de

User avatar
CTZn
Posts: 7240
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:34 pm
Location: Paris, France

Post by CTZn » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:48 am

I haven't used it personally yet, and indeed it's not managed by the Maya exporter.

There is an official (sticky) test scene thread, so the official scene must be officially updated methinks :D

dang, admin !

;)
obsolete asset

Post Reply
43 posts