hi guys! i hope you can help me. I want to render a scene with a null material but i have a problem. if i activate bidirectional the null material casts a little bit of shadows. if i turn off the bidirectional option it doesn't happen. Is it normal? and can i have realistic caustics if idon't use bidirectional?
Thanx
Federico
null material with bidirectional
You will achieve exactly the same caustics without bidirectional. There is, of course, the remote possibility that it may take for ever for them to appear. But, left long enough, they will be there.
The hardest part of BEING yourself is FINDING yourself in the first place...
http://thebigdavec.googlepages.com
http://thebigdavec.googlepages.com
-
StompinTom

- Posts: 1828
- Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:33 pm
Re: null material with bidirectional
brancalion wrote:hi guys! i hope you can help me. I want to render a scene with a null material but i have a problem. if i activate bidirectional the null material casts a little bit of shadows. if i turn off the bidirectional option it doesn't happen. Is it normal? and can i have realistic caustics if idon't use bidirectional?
Thanx
Federico
what? re-read the post.You will achieve exactly the same caustics without bidirectional. There is, of course, the remote possibility that it may take for ever for them to appear. But, left long enough, they will be there.
as far as i know a null material is just supposed to be a void so it shouldnt cast shadows regardless of whether or not bidir is on or off.
-
brancalion
- Posts: 5
- Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:47 pm
@stompintom
I was only referring to the point on caustics. Sorry, I should have made that more clear. You are correct about the shadows problem. I believe Nick is working to fix it already.
I was only referring to the point on caustics. Sorry, I should have made that more clear. You are correct about the shadows problem. I believe Nick is working to fix it already.
The hardest part of BEING yourself is FINDING yourself in the first place...
http://thebigdavec.googlepages.com
http://thebigdavec.googlepages.com