Teaching physics/science with Indigo

General questions about Indigo, the scene format, rendering etc...
10 posts • Page 1 of 1
Russdigo

Teaching physics/science with Indigo

Post by Russdigo » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:27 am

I'm working with a local high school. They might be interested in what indigo can do for them. They have many PC's around the school all networked, the teachers have powerful laptops (duals) that can be linked to overhead projectors in each class and laptops can be booked for lessons as and when.

I'm talking with the science department at the moment can anyone suggest any ways an un-biased render like Indigo might be useful?

For example a 6th form project could be examining the accuracy of Indigo against real world experiments. Glass block seen from above lightbox with slit shoots ray through block how does the angle of incidence differ from a real world test.

remus
Indigo 100

Re: Teaching physics/science with Indigo

Post by remus » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:23 am

I think itd be a bit of a stretch to get students using it but i can certainly imagine it being a useful resource for teachers to demonstrate ideas and concepts.

Borgleader

Post by Borgleader » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:14 am

iirc in the lightbox experiment you mentionned the slits are extremely small and i wonder how indigo works with those :?
benn hired a mercenary to kill my sig...

Russdigo

Post by Russdigo » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:00 am

Borgleader wrote:iirc in the lightbox experiment you mentionned the slits are extremely small and i wonder how indigo works with those :?
I was also wondering if Indigo would produce diffraction patterns from twin slits etc.

Meelis

Post by Meelis » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:25 pm

Maybe Doppler Effect
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J43lAESftPs
:lol:

But sometimes there are patterns, not shure what they are.

remus
Indigo 100

Post by remus » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:52 pm

Russdigo wrote:
Borgleader wrote:iirc in the lightbox experiment you mentionned the slits are extremely small and i wonder how indigo works with those :?
I was also wondering if Indigo would produce diffraction patterns from twin slits etc.
Thatd be interesting. Youd need a beast of a machine to test it at any decent resolution though.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:26 am

Hold your horses, interferometry (slim slits suff) is about quantum mechanics, Indigo is more about optics :)

What matters is the science departements after Russdigo, generally speaking ? What do they study ?
obsolete asset

Russdigo

Post by Russdigo » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:35 am

CTZn wrote:Hold your horses, interferometry (slim slits suff) is about quantum mechanics, Indigo is more about optics :)

What matters is the science departements after Russdigo, generally speaking ? What do they study ?
They are open to suggestion. It might be a case of something to look forward to at the end of the lesson and how science (physics) might be useful in the real world. For example setting off a prism render at the start of the lesson then studying prisms and seeing what Indigo has done at the end end and comparing it, discussing why there might be differences.

remus
Indigo 100

Post by remus » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:42 am

without wanting to go off topic too much, cant slits be modelled with waves as well?

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:58 am

You could do some stuff with angles of reflection and angles of refraction. Indigo does total internal reflection as well.
It doesn't do double slit diffraction (apart from the special case of aperture diffraction), because in general Indigo only does geometric (straight line) optics, not wave optics.

10 posts • Page 1 of 1