How many samples?

General questions about Indigo, the scene format, rendering etc...
Post Reply
4 posts • Page 1 of 1
Lord of the Rings Junkie
Posts: 222
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:38 pm

How many samples?

Post by Lord of the Rings Junkie » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:08 am

I was just wondering how many samples it usually takes before you guys are satisfied with your renders. I've found so far that 4000 mutations per pixel seems to be good for me. (0.6)

User avatar
Kram1032
Posts: 6649
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:55 am
Location: Austria near Vienna

Post by Kram1032 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:53 am

Depends...
But I use 99% 0.7.5 -> I can't tell for 0.6 ;)
In 0.7.5 there are samples per pixel....
It's much better than 0.6, just biDir is missing, which will be implented in 0.7.6, which comes soon ;)
Try it :P

User avatar
zsouthboy
Posts: 1395
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:12 am

Post by zsouthboy » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:50 pm

the usefulness of saying that I'm pleased at x sampling depends greatly on the image.

I've rendered an image (a prism I was testing in indigo) for over 2 weeks straight on my render farm, and it STILL not be noisefree. this was v.6 - mutations per pixel was over 100,000 when I killed it :)

User avatar
Kram1032
Posts: 6649
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:55 am
Location: Austria near Vienna

Post by Kram1032 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:06 pm

caughy B is the slowest thing you can do...
SSS is already much faster but can be slow too

It really depends on which materials you're using...

Post Reply
4 posts • Page 1 of 1