This a decent GPU for rendering with Indigo?

General questions about Indigo, the scene format, rendering etc...
Stinkie
Indigo 100
Posts: 616
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:22 pm

This a decent GPU for rendering with Indigo?

Post by Stinkie » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:48 pm

I'm looking into getting a new pc, and I know squat about hardware. :)

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.as ... P4-2662-KR

User avatar
lycium
Posts: 1216
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:46 am
Location: Leipzig, Germany
Contact:

Re: This a decent GPU for rendering with Indigo?

Post by lycium » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:04 am

I'd suggest getting a GeForce 580 Ti, with as much memory as you can :) The newer GeForce series, 6xx, aren't as good as the previous generation for GPU compute.

Stinkie
Indigo 100
Posts: 616
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:22 pm

Re: This a decent GPU for rendering with Indigo?

Post by Stinkie » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:12 am

Hm, good to know. Thanks. :)

User avatar
suvakas
3rd Place Winner
Posts: 2613
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:08 pm
Location: Estonia
Contact:

Re: This a decent GPU for rendering with Indigo?

Post by suvakas » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:15 am

There is GeForce 580 Ti :?:
Or did you mean 560 Ti?

User avatar
lycium
Posts: 1216
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:46 am
Location: Leipzig, Germany
Contact:

Re: This a decent GPU for rendering with Indigo?

Post by lycium » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:09 am

Sorry, I did indeed mean the 560 Ti. It has a better price/performance point than the 580, and probably doesn't produce nearly as much heat.

That card has been around for aaaages, even longer when I think that it's not very dissimilar from my GeForce GTX 470 which is now 2.5 years old :shock:

User avatar
suvakas
3rd Place Winner
Posts: 2613
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:08 pm
Location: Estonia
Contact:

Re: This a decent GPU for rendering with Indigo?

Post by suvakas » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:32 pm

I'd recommend 448 core version of 560 Ti. Faster than regular 560 Ti. 8)

Stinkie
Indigo 100
Posts: 616
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:22 pm

Re: This a decent GPU for rendering with Indigo?

Post by Stinkie » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:27 pm

lycium wrote:The newer GeForce series, 6xx, aren't as good as the previous generation for GPU compute.
In what sense, actually? Speed?

User avatar
pixie
Indigo 100
Posts: 2346
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:54 am
Location: Away from paradise
3D Software: Cinema 4D
Contact:

Re: This a decent GPU for rendering with Indigo?

Post by pixie » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:45 am

Personally I'm not much fan of single PT, so I'd rather go for a solution that could give me more cpu power, unless bidir PT cames for GPU, but I would wait till this happen since gfx board will eventually go lower in price.

User avatar
Juju
Posts: 270
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:49 am
Location: South Africa

Re: This a decent GPU for rendering with Indigo?

Post by Juju » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:45 am

lycium wrote:The newer GeForce series, 6xx, aren't as good as the previous generation for GPU compute.
Any links to benchmarks / testing to verify?

User avatar
lycium
Posts: 1216
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:46 am
Location: Leipzig, Germany
Contact:

Re: This a decent GPU for rendering with Indigo?

Post by lycium » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:57 am

This has been reported on a number of hardware sites testing CUDA and OpenCL performance, including this one from the excellent TechReport review:

Image

AnandTech have similar benchmarks, and I hear it a lot from people who use Arion, Octane and so on.

It makes sense to me because there are a lot more processing "cores" for the same amount of onboard memory (cache, registers, ...) so memory-intensive kernels, such as those used in rendering, will simply be more resource-constrained and less able to hide memory latency.

User avatar
Juju
Posts: 270
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:49 am
Location: South Africa

Re: This a decent GPU for rendering with Indigo?

Post by Juju » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:21 am

aah, thanks.

I thought the 6xx GPU's had many more CUDA cores but running at lower speed, thus lower power usage and more computing power?

Comparison from nVidia info on specifications for models below:
- GTX 680: 1536 CUDA cores at 1006 MHz base clock, 128.8 bn/sec texture fill rate, 256-bit memory interface.
- GTX 580: 512 CUDA cores at 2004 MHz base clock, 49.4 bn.sec texture fill rate, 384-bit memory interface.
- GTX 480: 480 CUDA cores at 1848 MHz base clock, 42 bn/sec texture fill rate, 384-bit memory interface.

on paper: GTX 680>GTX580>GTX480.

Looks like I'll have to troll through some sites to follow up on these benchmarks and testing?

User avatar
lycium
Posts: 1216
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:46 am
Location: Leipzig, Germany
Contact:

Re: This a decent GPU for rendering with Indigo?

Post by lycium » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:29 am

My synopsis is that the 6xx series is optimised for games, and generally simpler kernels. There's no question that it's way more power efficient for such tasks, and has an optimised memory controller etc, however we're interested in a very different application (complex compute kernels).

PS. Where in SA are you from? I used to live in Pretoria, then moved to Cape Town :)

User avatar
Juju
Posts: 270
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:49 am
Location: South Africa

Re: This a decent GPU for rendering with Indigo?

Post by Juju » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:24 pm

lycium wrote:PS. Where in SA are you from? I used to live in Pretoria, then moved to Cape Town :)
I'm from Cape Town northern suburbs, I live in Durbanville and work in Stellenbosch. :P

BTW, you do know that the comparison you refer to benches the OpenCL performance? That is AMD implementation, nVidia has CUDA implementation. Which is more efficient?

User avatar
Zom-B
1st Place 100
Posts: 4701
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:18 pm
Location: ´'`\_(ò_Ó)_/´'`
Contact:

Re: This a decent GPU for rendering with Indigo?

Post by Zom-B » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:55 pm

Juju wrote:BTW, you do know that the comparison you refer to benches the OpenCL performance? That is AMD implementation, nVidia has CUDA implementation. Which is more efficient?
OpenCL isn't a "AMD implementation" but a free standard that is suported by AMD, Nvidia GPUs and some newer Intel GPUs too. All moder CPU support it too! Support for Mobile ARM devices is comming... Xeon Phi (Knight Corner or Intel MIC) will also work with OpenCL.

CUDA is Nvidia only and has therefor no real future...
polygonmanufaktur.de

User avatar
Juju
Posts: 270
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:49 am
Location: South Africa

Re: This a decent GPU for rendering with Indigo?

Post by Juju » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:03 am

O I C

looks like I'm seriously out of date with the latest tech...

Post Reply
18 posts