Exponent

General questions about Indigo, the scene format, rendering etc...
Post Reply
13 posts • Page 1 of 1
User avatar
bubs
2nd Place Winner
Posts: 620
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:46 pm
Location: UK

Exponent

Post by bubs » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:46 am

Why is the C value for the exponent slot set to 100 by default? I always set this back to 0... Should I not be doing this?

User avatar
OnoSendai
Developer
Posts: 6244
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 6:16 pm
Location: Wellington, NZ
Contact:

Re: Exponent

Post by OnoSendai » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:01 am

An exponent of zero is extremely rough. A default of 100 is a more realistic roughness for a black texel in an exponent map.

User avatar
Zom-B
1st Place 100
Posts: 4701
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:18 pm
Location: ´'`\_(ò_Ó)_/´'`
Contact:

Re: Exponent

Post by Zom-B » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:01 am

This sounds like Exporter related, isn't it?

The C value should be 0 by default!

Afaik it is something like a plain addition (or subtraction) to the exponent Value.

So if you have for example a B value of 128 with a exponent Map and a C value of 50.
Then your Exponent map will drive the exponent with pure black from 50 to pure white 178.
polygonmanufaktur.de

User avatar
Zom-B
1st Place 100
Posts: 4701
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:18 pm
Location: ´'`\_(ò_Ó)_/´'`
Contact:

Re: Exponent

Post by Zom-B » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:03 am

OnoSendai wrote:An exponent of zero is extremely rough. A default of 100 is a more realistic roughness for a black texel in an exponent map.
But we use the B value for the base Exponent value. Why bother with a C default different then 0, simply set the B default to 100!
polygonmanufaktur.de

User avatar
bubs
2nd Place Winner
Posts: 620
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:46 pm
Location: UK

Re: Exponent

Post by bubs » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:49 am

Zom-B wrote:But we use the B value for the base Exponent value. Why bother with a C default different then 0, simply set the B default to 100!
My point exactly. It's not that B value I'm referring to but the C value... This isn't exporter related it's if you make a new material in Indigo when you click on the exponent slot to load an image the C value is always set to 100...

FakeShamus
Posts: 512
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 11:34 am

Re: Exponent

Post by FakeShamus » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:51 am

Zom-B wrote:
OnoSendai wrote:An exponent of zero is extremely rough. A default of 100 is a more realistic roughness for a black texel in an exponent map.
But we use the B value for the base Exponent value. Why bother with a C default different then 0, simply set the B default to 100!
huh - I always think of the C value as the base and the B as the multiplier. so if I have a plastic that should be shinier/more-polished in spots, the C is the roughest I would want my material to be at any point. I would pretty much never use a value of 0 for the exponent of any phong. but 100 is definitely higher than what I use for some materials...just depends on the case.

User avatar
bubs
2nd Place Winner
Posts: 620
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:46 pm
Location: UK

Re: Exponent

Post by bubs » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:53 am

It is entirely within the realm of posibily that I have been using this incorrectly for years! That's why I thought I'd ask :)

User avatar
bubs
2nd Place Winner
Posts: 620
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:46 pm
Location: UK

Re: Exponent

Post by bubs » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:56 am

bubs wrote:huh - I always think of the C value as the base and the B as the multiplier. so if I have a plastic that should be shinier/more-polished in spots, the C is the roughest I would want my material to be at any point. I would pretty much never use a value of 0 for the exponent of any phong.
just so I understand... If I have an exponent with a B of 1000 and a C of 100 are you saying that when I use a black & white image file the completely white areas will effectively have an exp value of 1000 and the completely black areas a value of 100?

FakeShamus
Posts: 512
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 11:34 am

Re: Exponent

Post by FakeShamus » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:05 am

bubs wrote:
bubs wrote:huh - I always think of the C value as the base and the B as the multiplier. so if I have a plastic that should be shinier/more-polished in spots, the C is the roughest I would want my material to be at any point. I would pretty much never use a value of 0 for the exponent of any phong.
just so I understand... If I have an exponent with a B of 1000 and a C of 100 are you saying that when I use a black & white image file the completely white areas will effectively have an exp value of 1000 and the completely black areas a value of 100?
that has been my understanding. though it probably depends on gamma setting of the texture somewhat too. but this could probably be confirmed using a nice solid black and white checker texture and comparing to normal phong exp values set in the B and C slots

edit:
yeah, just confirmed this, see attached. regular phong with exp 1 and 1000, respectively, and then using a 100% black, 100% white checker texture for exponent with C value 1 and B value 1000.
Attachments
exp 1.jpg
exponent 1
exp 1000.jpg
exponent 1000
exp check.jpg
exponent map with C value 1 and B value 1000

User avatar
bubs
2nd Place Winner
Posts: 620
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:46 pm
Location: UK

Re: Exponent

Post by bubs » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:35 am

every day is a school day! I've really always ignored the A & C values because I wasn't sure what they did... (still have no clue about A :lol: )

Might want to revisit every material I've ever uploaded to the database! :oops:

User avatar
Zom-B
1st Place 100
Posts: 4701
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:18 pm
Location: ´'`\_(ò_Ó)_/´'`
Contact:

Re: Exponent

Post by Zom-B » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:40 am

bubs wrote:Might want to revisit every material I've ever uploaded to the database! :oops:
Why that, he controlled everything using the B value, only raising the lowest exponent to 1 by having C @ 1!

P.S.
Here some more talk about ABC: http://www.indigorenderer.com/forum/vie ... 37&t=11633
polygonmanufaktur.de

User avatar
bubs
2nd Place Winner
Posts: 620
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:46 pm
Location: UK

Re: Exponent

Post by bubs » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:46 am

Well it's just that if I've managed to get a material that looked like it had a good exponent value it's probably been a lot of good luck! I feel I have a much better understanding now...
It was always the preview image in the Indigo GUI which put me off altering the C value... as soon as you put it to 100 by image was always blown out completely to white... Maybe it's just me, but I don't think this element is very well explained in the manual... Thinking of this more as a maximum and minimum value is very helpful

User avatar
galinette
1st Place Winner
Posts: 923
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:39 am
Location: Nantes, France
Contact:

Re: Exponent

Post by galinette » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:25 am

bubs wrote:
bubs wrote:huh - I always think of the C value as the base and the B as the multiplier. so if I have a plastic that should be shinier/more-polished in spots, the C is the roughest I would want my material to be at any point. I would pretty much never use a value of 0 for the exponent of any phong.
just so I understand... If I have an exponent with a B of 1000 and a C of 100 are you saying that when I use a black & white image file the completely white areas will effectively have an exp value of 1000 and the completely black areas a value of 100?
No, the black will be 100 and the white 1100.
In the example from FakeShamus it will be 1 and 1001

By the way, a trick I give sometimes : you get more control over your exponent maps when setting a very high gamma to them, such as 4

Etienne
Eclat-Digital Research
http://www.eclat-digital.com

Post Reply
13 posts • Page 1 of 1