Linux Distribution + Indigo

Discuss stuff not about Indigo.
Post Reply
6 posts • Page 1 of 1
ossosso
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:42 pm

Linux Distribution + Indigo

Post by ossosso » Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:17 am

Hi everyone!
This is my first post and I'd like to thank all people that have given support to the creation of Indigo and exporters.

First of all sorry for my english, I'm an Italian boy, and soon or later I think I'll enter in the world of job like 3d graphic, I'm almost ready :), and I'm also attract by the possibility of the combination between Liinux+Blender+Indigo.

So my questions are:
-Which distribution for who wants to use linux just for 3d realizations? (in particular Architectural Visualization, so no character animation and so on but just modeling and rendering). I tried Ubuntu and Suse and in my opinion Suse works better.

-What the current situation of Indigo compatibility on linux? Using "wine" does it work good? The native version for linux 64bit will be take in consideration in future? Or Indigo will remain monstly for windows?

Thank you very much for anyone who wants to share their experience.

Cheers!

User avatar
rgigante
Posts: 326
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:46 am
Location: Italy

Post by rgigante » Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:58 am

Welcome onboard Ossosso!

Glad to see your here. For sure u'll receive all the answer u need from prompted users working everyday with linux-indigo-blender.


A presto, Riccardo.

User avatar
Macrob
Posts: 289
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:55 am

Re: Linux Distribution + Indigo

Post by Macrob » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:43 am

ossosso wrote: I tried Ubuntu and Suse and in my opinion Suse works better.
Try Gentoo! It´s the best :D

I think whatever you use is ok. As long as blender and wine do work, there is no need to search another distribution than the one you have.

Native indigo loads the scenes faster than wine-indigo. Some people tell it also renders a bit faster, but I did not notice a significant speedup in my scenes.
But the wine-thing works pretty well
If you (and I too) want another native-linux-indigo-version you have to talk to Ono as the others who want it :wink:

User avatar
zsouthboy
Posts: 1395
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:12 am

Post by zsouthboy » Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:56 pm

There's a 10% performance benefit to using native indigo vs. indigo + wine.

Your distro doesn't matter. :)

User avatar
Phr0stByte
Posts: 395
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:07 am
Location: Centreville, VA
Contact:

Post by Phr0stByte » Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:20 pm

Actually, its quite a bit more that 10% if you run a multicore system...

User avatar
zsouthboy
Posts: 1395
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:12 am

Post by zsouthboy » Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:31 pm

I didn't do extensive tests, but it was along the lines of 10% on my quadLOL system... you've gotten better results, phr0st?

Post Reply
6 posts • Page 1 of 1