Yet Another Thread On Voxels

Discuss stuff not about Indigo.
kklors

Re: Yet Another Thread On Voxels

Post by kklors » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:32 am

Zom-B wrote: The link looked like kklores would like that Plugin, and what do I see... his work is in the gallery ^^
Haha busted! But yeah I really dig this one a lot for all kind of stuff.
On a C4D related topic there's also Voxygen http://cinemaplugins.com/c4d-plugins/voxygen/ which I haven't tried myself but apparently works very well.

But currently I don't know. Of cause there are always ways on how to use a technique in an interesting way, but the way using voxels in non RT at the moment is; people using boxes boxy enough to be visible for the effect by itself.

Recently read this article about Everquest's new engine: http://procworld.blogspot.ca/2013/08/ev ... -next.html
This is really how I imagine voxels to work for an artistic purpose. No idea about the technical limitations, but I'd really love to see voxels being proper instances for certain geometry instead voxels just being points.

Also by some funny coincidence to stay in-topic I ran into rendering Fractals in Arnold, because I currently have to use Softimage and Arnold for my job. Here are some random renders with lots of spheres.
Attachments
powergreen2.jpg
powergreen.jpg

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:12 pm

Here are some random renders with lots of spheres.
Ah cool, I was having a peak at this with Maya, I'll keep you posted.
I'm not certain that voxels are required for this, but "infinite" "destructible" "procedural" "worlds", there's quite some weight within each word for a gamer, and now they're to be combined together. Plus, voxels are a great support for a wide range of physic simulations through the finite element method if I'm correct.
obsolete asset

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:15 am

well so this is a column of smoke starting to fill a box :3

Sadly the mandelbrot Maya thingy is entirely texture-based (sub-voxel), I may try harder.

ps: the script is writing ~370 spheres/s, export takes some while nonetheless. edit: skipping voxels with a negligeable density does the trick better.
Attachments
voxels.jpg
ugly baby
obsolete asset

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:02 am

Now exporting an animated voxel array, obviously rendering it will be faster. I've left the opacity threshold to zero so it's helpless :x

240 frames total, now one frame takes nearly 6mn to export. It took 1h for the 120 first frames, the next hour it had 15 more done... yiikes. File size is 4.37MB at frame 140, and counting...

Array size is dynamic, that's why the frame export time is changing despite the zero threshold. That should be done by tomorrow.
obsolete asset

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:35 pm

Started with a new scene with mixed result, at least export and render together summed up to 1h35 (240 frames), much better.

http://www.worldparallelftp.com/Indigo/ ... last.1.mp4

I fired the test up without checking on resolution nor disabling autofocus. The shaking is an auto-resize issue, that I added to the scene :roll:
Last edited by CTZn on Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
obsolete asset

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:13 pm

640x480, fixed most issues, clamped spheres size. The latter is much less impressive than blowing spheres.

http://www.worldparallelftp.com/Indigo/ ... last.2.mp4

let me know if you can not see the videos.

Any suggestions ? I'm going to give a try at shading this.
obsolete asset

21 posts