tilt shift esque

Feature requests, bug reports and related discussion
Post Reply
6 posts • Page 1 of 1
dmn
3rd Place Winner
Posts: 243
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:42 pm

tilt shift esque

Post by dmn » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:52 pm

would be nice.
I don't know if it is essential in indigo that the vanishing point be in the center of the rendering, but say I want to render an image that is 80% sky and 20% ground, just catching the top of the line of trees in front of me, but without any distortion of vertical lines.
In real photography you would use a tilt shift to do this ($2000, yeah ok there are lomo methods). Right now I have to render 1600 Wx 1600 H and then crop it to 1600:900. Kind of a waste right, like buying a field camera($10000) and cropping the(also expensive) negative?

I think this could be controlled in the xml either by specifying dx and dy for the vanishing point from a corner of the rendering, or by specifying a large image and then also specifying a top-left and bottom-right corner to crop to. I like the latter method because you could also use it to preview a region of your image.

Example of method 1:

Code: Select all

<renderer_settings>
		<width>1600</width>
		<height>900</height>
		<vpx>600</vpx>
		<vpy>180</vpy>
		...
or method 2:

Code: Select all

<renderer_settings>
		<width>1600</width>
		<height>900</height>
		<tlx>0</tlx>
		<tly>0</tly>
		<brx>1400</brx>
		<bry>720</bry>
		...
and possibly with method 2 you only need to input one corner, maybe just x or y, and the other values will default to the usual value.
It would be nice if this could reduce render time.
Ok, enough imaginary coding for one night. :)

mrCarnivore
Posts: 517
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:20 am
Location: Stuttgart, Germany

Post by mrCarnivore » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:01 pm

I think the most elegant and robust realization for this in indigo would be region rendering. That would exactly do what a shift lens does.

Also Ono has mentioned that he will code region rendering in the near future since it is not that much work.

dmn
3rd Place Winner
Posts: 243
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:42 pm

Post by dmn » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:52 am

what would be the difference, from what I described?

User avatar
CTZn
Posts: 7240
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:34 pm
Location: Paris, France

Post by CTZn » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:30 am

I don't see any difference, you find another application of the region rendering, originally requested by me© ook ook 8)
obsolete asset

dmn
3rd Place Winner
Posts: 243
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:42 pm

Post by dmn » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:55 am

Thanks CTZn, I had been wondering if someone had put this up as a request, but you can't search this forum by title only.
I think CTZn region render© would be very useful.
:D

User avatar
CTZn
Posts: 7240
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:34 pm
Location: Paris, France

Post by CTZn » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:47 am

ook ook !
obsolete asset

Post Reply
6 posts • Page 1 of 1