hair & fur and (micro)dispacement

Feature requests, bug reports and related discussion
User avatar
Kram1032
Posts: 6649
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:55 am
Location: Austria near Vienna

Post by Kram1032 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:43 am

:shock:
nice'n small^^

User avatar
CTZn
Posts: 7240
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:34 pm
Location: Paris, France

/!\

Post by CTZn » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:13 am

Hi, I'm coming here with the proposal of a compromise:

"At render-time subdivision (aka smoothing)". The <model> tag could have an optional integer value to set the number of iterations of the subdivision.

I think Indigo can now handle high poly counts, more than our common appz can (in real time editing I mean). Being able to export low rez and render high rez would help a great deal in saving time (maybe) and ressources.

------------------------

Btw Ono, any chance that Indigo becomes compliant with REYES (well, or similar) ?

See Aqsis features using REYES here, they include micro-polygon displacement:
Sub-Pixel Displacement - The REYES approach allows Aqsis to provide true displacements at the sub-pixel level. Where some other renderers would need densely subdivided geometry to be passed into the rendering pipeline to achieve similar functionality, Aqsis provides this for all primitive types, with no requirement to alter the geometry before it is passed to the renderer.
A primitive being a triangle AFAIK... that would be it !
obsolete asset

User avatar
OnoSendai
Developer
Posts: 6244
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 6:16 pm
Location: Wellington, NZ
Contact:

Post by OnoSendai » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:31 am

Reyes is really a model driven rasterisation approach, as opposed to ray tracing, AFAIK, the ray tracing analogue would be micro-poly displacement.

User avatar
Kram1032
Posts: 6649
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:55 am
Location: Austria near Vienna

Post by Kram1032 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:35 am

I'm not quite shure, as I didn't really read through the whole thing, but aren't many features already supported?
and aren't these things biased?

User avatar
CTZn
Posts: 7240
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:34 pm
Location: Paris, France

Post by CTZn » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:44 am

I'm focusing on the processing of surfaces here; what's interesting in REYES is the ability to infinitely subdivide a surface (through Catmull-Clark SDS). The object loaded in memory can be a lowpo cage, plus a displacement map (texture). The result would be the highest poly rez imaginable. Objects far from the camera remain at low rez. And AFAIK REYES is about raytracing, but that wasn't my point :)

Thanks for reading !
obsolete asset

User avatar
Kram1032
Posts: 6649
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:55 am
Location: Austria near Vienna

Post by Kram1032 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:48 am

oh, I see!
Isn't that also a technique, used in games (especially for moving things)?
But not from infinite to lo-res, but from quite-high-poly to close-to-zero :)

User avatar
CTZn
Posts: 7240
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:34 pm
Location: Paris, France

Post by CTZn » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:54 am

That's it, Kram (may I call you Mark ?). Being reyes or not, I'm interesting in that kind of subdivision.

In games LOD (Level of Detail) is predetermined (you have 3 or so LOD), here the main stuff is about screenspace subdivision (precisely by setting tris size relative to pixel size). All that by feeding with a lowpo, scenes remain light and memory management is used at best. I do hope that BIH is a step toward SDS.
obsolete asset

User avatar
Kram1032
Posts: 6649
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:55 am
Location: Austria near Vienna

Post by Kram1032 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:56 am

I see :)
(may I call you Mark ?)
shure, why not :)

User avatar
CTZn
Posts: 7240
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:34 pm
Location: Paris, France

Post by CTZn » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:03 am

Kram1032 wrote:I see :)
(may I call you Mark ?)
shure, why not :)
Cool 8)

For those who don't see already it could allow to use low poly from TopMod and render perfect surfaces. Can be disp mapped and... ok, you know already :mrgreen: :arrow: :arrow:
obsolete asset

User avatar
Kram1032
Posts: 6649
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:55 am
Location: Austria near Vienna

Post by Kram1032 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:04 am

:mrgreen:³

Post Reply
40 posts