Don't upload copyrighted material, unless you're allowed

General discussion about Indigo Materials - material requests, material developement, feedback, etc..
User avatar
OnoSendai
Developer
Posts: 6179
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 6:16 pm
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Contact:

Don't upload copyrighted material, unless you're allowed

Post by OnoSendai » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:53 am

Hi all,
I just deleted some materials that were violating the licence terms of CGTextures.com.
So, please don't upload any materials that are using textures that you aren't allowed to redistribute.
If you want to upload a material that uses textures you got off the net, please read the corresponding licence very carefully, and make sure you aren't violating it.

User avatar
pixie
Indigo 100
Posts: 2199
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:54 am
Location: Away from paradise
Contact:

Re: Don't upload copyrighted material, unless you're allowed

Post by pixie » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:09 pm

OnoSendai wrote:Hi all,
I just deleted some materials that were violating the licence terms of CGTextures.com.
So, please don't upload any materials that are using textures that you aren't allowed to redistribute.
If you want to upload a material that uses textures you got off the net, please read the corresponding licence very carefully, and make sure you aren't violating it.
I think it's all fine as long as it comply with this:
RESALE OR REDISTRIBUTION OF 3D MODELS TEXTURES WITH IMAGES FROM CGTEXTURES

When selling or redistributing a 3D model bundled with textures from CGTextures please add the following text in the documentation accompanying the model:

"One or more textures on this 3D model have been created with images from CGTextures.com. These images may not be redistributed by default, please visit http://www.cgtextures.com for more information."
So, can I please have my materials back so I can make the tweaking? (They were referred to their origin, and were derived work not as is)
Last edited by pixie on Thu May 06, 2010 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
zeitmeister
2nd Place 100
Posts: 1997
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:11 am
Location: Limburg/Lahn, Germany
Contact:

Re: Don't upload copyrighted material, unless you're allowed

Post by zeitmeister » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:40 pm

We talked about the CGTextures.com-licence-"problem" recently, and as I understood their terms we are allowed to distribute their textures here with the given text above.
The thing is, that Indigo itself is commercial, but the MatDB and the materials are not, so we don't redestribute these textures here in any commercial sense.

I would strongly recommend to you, Nik or Ben, to please contact CGTextures.com and ask them about this.
The Maxwell-guys do pass all eventually copyright violations to the users who are uploading the stuff, and it seems to be juridically okay.
Well, in spain. 8)

Please help us with that!
Cheers, David



DAVIDGUDELIUS // 3D.PORTFOLIO
·
Indigo 4.2.23 | Indigo for C4D 4.2.22 | C4D R14.042 | Mac OS X 10.13.6 | Windows 10 Professional x64

User avatar
pixie
Indigo 100
Posts: 2199
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:54 am
Location: Away from paradise
Contact:

Re: Don't upload copyrighted material, unless you're allowed

Post by pixie » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:55 pm

zeitmeister wrote:We talked about the CGTextures.com-licence-"problem" recently, and as I understood their terms we are allowed to distribute their textures here with the given text above.
The thing is, that Indigo itself is commercial, but the MatDB and the materials are not, so we don't redestribute these textures here in any commercial sense.

I would strongly recommend to you, Nik or Ben, to please contact CGTextures.com and ask them about this.
The Maxwell-guys do pass all eventually copyright violations to the users who are uploading the stuff, and it seems to be juridically okay.
Well, in spain. 8)

Please help us with that!
"When selling or redistributing" you can redistribute without selling. ;)

User avatar
zeitmeister
2nd Place 100
Posts: 1997
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:11 am
Location: Limburg/Lahn, Germany
Contact:

Re: Don't upload copyrighted material, unless you're allowed

Post by zeitmeister » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:33 pm

Well, you're absolutely right.

So adding a big stamp to the texture with something like "TextureXY (exact texture name) from CGTextures.com" plus the text
"One or more textures on this 3D-model have been created with images from CGTextures.com. These images may not be redistributed by default. Please visit www.cgtextures.com for more information."
in the material description would do it?
Cheers, David



DAVIDGUDELIUS // 3D.PORTFOLIO
·
Indigo 4.2.23 | Indigo for C4D 4.2.22 | C4D R14.042 | Mac OS X 10.13.6 | Windows 10 Professional x64

User avatar
psor
1st Place Winner
Posts: 1295
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:25 am
Location: Berlin
Contact:

Re: Don't upload copyrighted material, unless you're allowed

Post by psor » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:40 pm

zeitmeister wrote: in the material description would do it?
It won't be enough as you're distributing a zip file aka .pigm which will not include the
needed information. This might be the biggest issue. So you have to add the text to the pigm
manually and then you should be fine. ;o))



take care
psor
"The sleeper must awaken"

User avatar
pixie
Indigo 100
Posts: 2199
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:54 am
Location: Away from paradise
Contact:

Re: Don't upload copyrighted material, unless you're allowed

Post by pixie » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:39 am

psor wrote:
zeitmeister wrote: in the material description would do it?
It won't be enough as you're distributing a zip file aka .pigm which will not include the
needed information. This might be the biggest issue. So you have to add the text to the pigm
manually and then you should be fine. ;o))



take care
psor
The IME could have a space just for this kind of license stuff ;)

It could even embedded into the igm text itself, just as some exporters currently does such as Cindigo.

User avatar
dougal2
Developer
Posts: 2532
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:17 am
Location: South London

Re: Don't upload copyrighted material, unless you're allowed

Post by dougal2 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:05 am

why not:

1. render your preview with the proper texture
2. package it with a placeholder texture that contains info on how to get the original?

Yes, I agree it requires work on the part of the end-user to replace the texture, but that's hardly difficult now that we have the material editor ?

I know you might not go with this, but it's just one solution ;)

User avatar
benn
Posts: 1046
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:47 pm
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Contact:

Re: Don't upload copyrighted material, unless you're allowed

Post by benn » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:20 am

I talked to the guy at CGTextures and he wasn't interested in talking about redistributing. In my opinion, the Indigo materials fall under the 'redistribution with a 3d model' clause, since the images aren't used directly, but only through the configured Indigo material (which can have displacement, shaders, bump maps or a bunch of other 3d-only stuff), so if you want to add the required text pixie, I think that'll be fine.

User avatar
dakiru
Indigo 100
Posts: 746
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:51 am

Re: Don't upload copyrighted material, unless you're allowed

Post by dakiru » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:26 am

benn wrote:I talked to the guy at CGTextures and he wasn't interested in talking about redistributing. In my opinion, the Indigo materials fall under the 'redistribution with a 3d model' clause, since the images aren't used directly, but only through the configured Indigo material (which can have displacement, shaders, bump maps or a bunch of other 3d-only stuff), so if you want to add the required text pixie, I think that'll be fine.
Ben, and what about Indigo materials? I mean unpacking the pigm and redistributing included textures?

User avatar
benn
Posts: 1046
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:47 pm
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Contact:

Re: Don't upload copyrighted material, unless you're allowed

Post by benn » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:16 am

As far as I can tell that is allowed from most textures sites t&c.

I think we'll make our material database creative commons licenced, so that the materials are explicitly available for everyone.

User avatar
zeitmeister
2nd Place 100
Posts: 1997
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:11 am
Location: Limburg/Lahn, Germany
Contact:

Re: Don't upload copyrighted material, unless you're allowed

Post by zeitmeister » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:06 pm

These are great news!
Cheers, David



DAVIDGUDELIUS // 3D.PORTFOLIO
·
Indigo 4.2.23 | Indigo for C4D 4.2.22 | C4D R14.042 | Mac OS X 10.13.6 | Windows 10 Professional x64

CGTextures.com
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:39 am

Re: Don't upload copyrighted material, unless you're allowed

Post by CGTextures.com » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:57 am

I talked to the guy at CGTextures and he wasn't interested in talking about redistributing. In my opinion, the Indigo materials fall under the 'redistribution with a 3d model' clause, since the images aren't used directly, but only through the configured Indigo material (which can have displacement, shaders, bump maps or a bunch of other 3d-only stuff), so if you want to add the required text pixie, I think that'll be fine.
Just to make things clear: images from CGTextures may NOT be used in the Indigo Renderer Material Database.

As the CGTextures license states, redistributing the textures is only allowed under strict conditions (when customized for and bundled with a 3D model or when distributed with a game). An Indigo Material is clearly not a 3D model or a game, so redistributing them in the Material database is not allowed.

Another reason why the textures on CGTextures cannot be used for the Indigo Renderer Material Database is because the images (or products created with images) may not be released under an Open Source license.
As far as I can tell that is allowed from most textures sites t&c.
Every texture site I know of has some kind of restriction on redistribution of it's images. Not allowing redistribution as textures (or as competing products) is a very common clause in the Terms of Use of texture sites. It makes total sense, if redistribution or resale was allowed anybody could take the images, modify one pixel and start their own texture site. So check the license and when in doubt email the site's admins to ask.

remus
Indigo 100
Posts: 133
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 8:07 am

Re: Don't upload copyrighted material, unless you're allowed

Post by remus » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:29 pm

Cheers for the clarification, and thanks for the brilliant site. Its the best source for textures in my opinion :)

User avatar
zeitmeister
2nd Place 100
Posts: 1997
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:11 am
Location: Limburg/Lahn, Germany
Contact:

Re: Don't upload copyrighted material, unless you're allowed

Post by zeitmeister » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:18 am

This leaves no doubts any more; thank you for clarifying!
Cheers, David



DAVIDGUDELIUS // 3D.PORTFOLIO
·
Indigo 4.2.23 | Indigo for C4D 4.2.22 | C4D R14.042 | Mac OS X 10.13.6 | Windows 10 Professional x64

Post Reply
23 posts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest