Help with Stainless Steel

General discussion about Indigo Materials - material requests, material developement, feedback, etc..
User avatar
Whaat
Developer
Posts: 1827
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:15 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Help with Stainless Steel

Post by Whaat » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:23 am

We need a really good stainless steel (for appliances) material in the database. Here's what I have so far. It seems decent but I'm sure it could be improved. Also, maybe someone could do some test renders by applying the material in a nice kitchen model or something.

Please improve this material if you can. :)

BTW...I don't know why there's this weird diamond pattern on the highlight. :?
Attachments
stainlessSteel2.png
stainlessSteel2.png (305.27 KiB) Viewed 7157 times
StainlessSteel2.pigm
(600 Bytes) Downloaded 319 times

User avatar
psor
1st Place Winner
Posts: 1295
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:25 am
Location: Berlin
Contact:

Re: Help with Stainless Steel

Post by psor » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:42 am

I'd say the pattern is based on the same issue I've reported here. ;)






take care
psor
"The sleeper must awaken"

User avatar
Whaat
Developer
Posts: 1827
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:15 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Help with Stainless Steel

Post by Whaat » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:18 am

Yeah...I knew I saw that pattern somewhere before...needs to be fixed. Any progress on this ono?

Here's another version of the material with uniform bump instead of brushed.
Attachments
stainlessSteel3.png
stainlessSteel3.png (300.16 KiB) Viewed 7112 times
StainlessSteel3.pigm
(572 Bytes) Downloaded 316 times

User avatar
OnoSendai
Developer
Posts: 6244
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 6:16 pm
Location: Wellington, NZ
Contact:

Re: Help with Stainless Steel

Post by OnoSendai » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:08 am

psor wrote:I'd say the pattern is based on the same issue I've reported here. ;)






take care
psor
Actually I think it's a bump mapping artifact.

User avatar
psor
1st Place Winner
Posts: 1295
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:25 am
Location: Berlin
Contact:

Re: Help with Stainless Steel

Post by psor » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:49 pm

That might be possible Nik. It could also be something you did to the Phong lobe,
as it's also there if no bump map is being used. And I haven't seen that on a
Specular nor Lambert nor Oren-Nayar yet. ;)

edit: I'm wrong it's the bidirectional PT again. :P :D ;)







take care
psor
"The sleeper must awaken"

User avatar
Doug Armand
Indigo 100
Posts: 1038
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 5:49 pm
Location: London UK

Re: Help with Stainless Steel

Post by Doug Armand » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:04 pm

Heres an attempt at it. It uses a bump map I did in Pshop for the scratches - not sure how well it will wrap. It's also a bit on the large size :wink: :shock:
Brushed_Stainless_Steel.jpg
Brushed_Stainless_Steel.jpg (84.39 KiB) Viewed 7038 times
Its a blend of CR.nk, NI.nk and MO.nk. Tried to upload it to the material database but I kept getting errors so here it is:
Brushed_Stainless_Steel.pigm
Uses a bump map and a UV set called 'default'
(3.84 MiB) Downloaded 340 times
Doug

Doug Armand

User avatar
Whaat
Developer
Posts: 1827
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:15 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Help with Stainless Steel

Post by Whaat » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:08 pm

nice, doug!

User avatar
Doug Armand
Indigo 100
Posts: 1038
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 5:49 pm
Location: London UK

Re: Help with Stainless Steel

Post by Doug Armand » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:15 pm

Whaat wrote:nice, doug!
Thanks :D

I finally managed to upload it to the Material Database - it's called 'Brushed Stainless Steel'
Doug

Doug Armand

User avatar
Jambert
Indigo 100
Posts: 545
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:08 pm
Location: France, Lyon

Re: Help with Stainless Steel

Post by Jambert » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:59 am

here some test

material file is 5Mo so I can't share :roll:
Attachments
steel3.png
steel3.png (420.89 KiB) Viewed 6972 times
steel2.png
steel2.png (452.62 KiB) Viewed 6969 times
steel.png
steel.png (412.11 KiB) Viewed 6964 times

User avatar
zeitmeister
2nd Place 100
Posts: 2010
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:11 am
Location: Limburg/Lahn, Germany
Contact:

Re: Help with Stainless Steel

Post by zeitmeister » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:09 am

"5Mo"?
Cheers, David



DAVIDGUDELIUS // 3D.PORTFOLIO
·
Indigo 4.4.15 | Indigo for C4D 4.4.13.1 | C4D R23 | Mac OS X 10.13.6 | Windows 10 Professional x64

User avatar
CTZn
Posts: 7240
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:34 pm
Location: Paris, France

Re: Help with Stainless Steel

Post by CTZn » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:58 am

1 octet = 1 byte

5Mo = 5MB
obsolete asset

User avatar
Borgleader
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:48 am

Re: Help with Stainless Steel

Post by Borgleader » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:16 am

CTZn wrote:1 octet = 1 byte

5Mo = 5MB
Yeah, he wrote it in french thats all :wink:
benn hired a mercenary to kill my sig...

User avatar
Jambert
Indigo 100
Posts: 545
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:08 pm
Location: France, Lyon

Re: Help with Stainless Steel

Post by Jambert » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:57 am

Borgleader wrote:
CTZn wrote:1 octet = 1 byte

5Mo = 5MB
Yeah, he wrote it in french thats all :wink:
sorry :lol: , it's 5MB

User avatar
zeitmeister
2nd Place 100
Posts: 2010
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:11 am
Location: Limburg/Lahn, Germany
Contact:

Re: Help with Stainless Steel

Post by zeitmeister » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:55 am

Aaaaaalright! :mrgreen:
What causes the size exactly, the scratch map, if it is a texture? This is a very nice material, and perhaps we can find a way to slim the texture a little bit?
Cheers, David



DAVIDGUDELIUS // 3D.PORTFOLIO
·
Indigo 4.4.15 | Indigo for C4D 4.4.13.1 | C4D R23 | Mac OS X 10.13.6 | Windows 10 Professional x64

User avatar
Jambert
Indigo 100
Posts: 545
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:08 pm
Location: France, Lyon

Re: Help with Stainless Steel

Post by Jambert » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:34 am

yep, texture could be smaller, I generaly work with arroway so 5Mb is realy small to me :mrgreen:

I tried to upload galery but it didn't work?!

Post Reply
21 posts