Hey there everyone,
I've been working on a document to be a resource for a bunch of ways to make your renders look snappy, addressing common mistakes and problems people run into when first starting out with Indigo.
I would love to hear feedback on the quality of the pages, and any suggestions on what else to include. We're aiming for a solid 30 so there's a few more to go!
I will keep posting new ones to this thread so check back often
*update*
Missed the second page for Phong
Official techniques manual
Official techniques manual
- Attachments
-
- Techniques_phong.pdf
- Phong and it's attributes
*updated* - (200.15 KiB) Downloaded 1692 times
-
- Techniques_camera.pdf
- Film camera responses
- (311.34 KiB) Downloaded 823 times
-
- Techniques_dof.pdf
- Depth of field
- (199.78 KiB) Downloaded 743 times
-
- Techniques_height.pdf
- Put the camera at a real height
- (136.12 KiB) Downloaded 688 times
-
- Techniques_sizes.pdf
- Model to the correct size/scale and what it can effect
- (127.65 KiB) Downloaded 657 times
-
- Techniques_bump.pdf
- Bump maps
- (231.26 KiB) Downloaded 728 times
-
- Techniques_levels.pdf
- Saturation and bright & dark texture levels
- (125.81 KiB) Downloaded 715 times
-
- Techniques_bevel.pdf
- Bevel your edges!
- (130.66 KiB) Downloaded 708 times
-
- Techniques_IES.pdf
- Information and tutorial on IES profiles
- (86.98 KiB) Downloaded 710 times
-
- Techniques manual beta 12-1-09.pdf
- All current sections
- (1.29 MiB) Downloaded 837 times
Last edited by OldSoup on Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- pixie

- Posts: 2346
- Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:54 am
- Location: Away from paradise
- 3D Software: Cinema 4D
- Contact:
Re: Official techniques manual
I just wante to nit pick, but in saturation it's 255 rather then 256 since the range starts on 0 and not on 1.$oup wrote:Hey there everyone,
I've been working on a document to be a resource for a bunch of ways to make your renders look snappy, addressing common mistakes and problems people run into when first starting out with Indigo.
I would love to hear feedback on the quality of the pages, and any suggestions on what else to include. We're aiming for a solid 30 so there's a few more to go!
I will keep posting new ones to this thread so check back often
Re: Official techniques manual
Great manual, my only suggestion would be to try and find better images for the bump mapping page- the texture used seems a little low- resolution.
Re: Official techniques manual
Hey thanks that's good info, I'm sure I've missed one or two of the little technical things around the place.
Cheers
Cheers
Re: Official techniques manual
Nice paper,a good reference for every newbie
Referring to your full PDF, the generated bookmarks are sometimes not Headlines only, but also the text beneath them...
I think there is a misleading information about the Use of IES:
You tell the user to take "a small, single plane mesh"
So far so good, but in your example you use a quad polygon! Indigo only supports triangles, so on Export your mesh gets divided and bang, you end up having 2 light sources instead of one!
Referring to your full PDF, the generated bookmarks are sometimes not Headlines only, but also the text beneath them...
I think there is a misleading information about the Use of IES:
You tell the user to take "a small, single plane mesh"
So far so good, but in your example you use a quad polygon! Indigo only supports triangles, so on Export your mesh gets divided and bang, you end up having 2 light sources instead of one!
polygonmanufaktur.de
Re: Official techniques manual
Good job $oup, makes learning Indigo way more friendly !
Another nitpick: the vocabulary used for black materials and their counterpart is confusing: better refer to absorbed light rather than to reflected light, because albedo and IOR are not correlated.
Another nitpick: the vocabulary used for black materials and their counterpart is confusing: better refer to absorbed light rather than to reflected light, because albedo and IOR are not correlated.
obsolete asset
Re: Official techniques manual
Great articles Soup, we'll be putting these onto a tutorials page in the near future.
Re: Official techniques manual
Another suggestion- in the image on the beveling tab, the beveling is pretty excessive.
Hope you don't mind me posting suggestions here, I just want to help you improve the manual.
Hope you don't mind me posting suggestions here, I just want to help you improve the manual.
Re: Official techniques manual
Thanks Soup for your service: that is pretty cool!
Can i have some specifics about font, font size, length of the "contruction lines", distance from the borders etc, for I am writing some tuts for the italian guys and it would be nice to have the same layout.
OR you could send me the template (only openoffice format allowed, though...)
Can i have some specifics about font, font size, length of the "contruction lines", distance from the borders etc, for I am writing some tuts for the italian guys and it would be nice to have the same layout.
OR you could send me the template (only openoffice format allowed, though...)
