Beginner Download Question

Announcements, requests and support regarding SkIndigo - the Sketchup / Indigo exporter.
4 posts • Page 1 of 1
blair

Beginner Download Question

Post by blair » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:33 pm

Is the following a good and thorough list of various things a beginner should download in order to be fairly well equipped to study and start working with Indigo and SketchUP? Have I missed anything or included things that are not important,

1- Indigo 1.1.15 (I see there is now a release of 1.1.16)
2- Skindigo 1.1.15 (Do not see a 1.1.16 release yet)
3- SkIndigo_1_1_X_Getting_Started
4- SkIndigo_1_1_X_Advanced_Features_WIP
5- ALL the “Indigo user's Documentation” (Some looks very very technical)
6- All found SkethUP related tutorials and perhaps others
7- All the materials shown in the “Material Database” to put *somewhere* (some have 1000’s of downloads and others just a few)
8- Other Materials (+-6 or so in a group with images which I cannot find again)

Are there other materials that can be found at other websites that can be downloaded and used in Indigo?

crojack

Post by crojack » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:04 am

well, that's a good list.

you could start with the stable releases, but they are quite different than the new stuff.

you don't need to download all the mats in the db, might get confusing at first.

the best thing to do is go through the tut's, start with a really simple scene and experiment. if something goes wrong, search the forum, most everything has been asked.

Pibuz's room scene in the WIP section is a good example of soemthing simple to mess around with, and how something simple can look really great in the hands of a skilled Skindigoer.

oh, and have fun!

blair

Post by blair » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:10 pm

Crojack,

Thank you very much for responding and suggestions that have definately given me a good path to follow. I have been staggering around here for a while trying to figure out how to best get started. The suggestion regarding the "Pibuz's room scene" is an excellant example for someone like me to observe, follow the development of and perhaps even try to SORT OF emulate. My starting point is about -100 below *0* with SketchUP and Indigo so whatever I learn is a big step forward.

I don't know if there would be any interest, or potential value to others, but I have thought about developing a WIP that would start with an original SketchUP scene I have developed. From there I could stumble along with my step by step developments and others could see how it goes and perhaps some would kick me back on track from time to time. I assume other newbies like me come along occassionally and maybe such an approach could benefit someone else also.

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:51 pm

Hi blair!
I think that your idea of sharing your step-by-step progress in learning skindigo would really be of big help to us (to better understand your troubles), to you (it'd be much more simple to focus and solve problems) and to everyone who approaches Indigo and SkIndigo as a newbie :D

So I strongly recommend this workflow you're suggesting!

I really hope to see your scene in the wip section :wink:

4 posts • Page 1 of 1