Indigo Renderer 4.6.7 Release

General News and accouncements regarding the Indigo render engine
Ascensi
3D Software: iClone

Re: Indigo Renderer 4.6.7 Release

Post by Ascensi » Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:16 am

This site isn't dead but maybe the developer is looking for a reason to keep it alive. He last logged in Dec 29 2023. I've been thinking about this for a while, something does need to change before this product is dead so I've suggested the following viewtopic.php?f=7&t=324703

wob

Post by wob » Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:39 am

Ascensi wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:16 am
This site isn't dead but maybe the developer is looking for a reason to keep it alive. He last logged in Dec 29 2023. I've been thinking about this for a while, something does need to change before this product is dead so I've suggested the following viewtopic.php?f=7&t=324703
but you'd better download the database of materials via httptrack because today it is not dead, but tomorrow.... how knows

Delineator

Post by Delineator » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:45 am

If Indigo is dead, there shouldn't be a web site for it with a price to purchase. No one is responding to my efforts to contact. Please update if you hear anything. A relatively new paid user of Indigo 4.4.

mpro31

Post by mpro31 » Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:22 am

First of all, I want to express my sadness and disappointment that Indigo seems a bit dead right now, although it is a powerful and very fast renderer. I'm just wondering why the developers don't turn this software into open-source, since there is no official support anymore.

Secondly, I have a technical question for anyone who may be able to help. I'm trying a network GPU render, and the rendering speed when utilizing two GPUs is half of what I get with a single GPU, instead of being faster. Has anyone else experienced this issue or have any insights into why the performance is decreasing when using multiple GPUs?

Yiqin

Post by Yiqin » Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:34 am

Mpro31,

I've seen a few different things that might be causing your issue you may have checked all of these already:

Are you running your main machine as a Working master or network master (network master doesn't contribute to the project so that would be slower)?

Is the slave computer setup for GPU rendering, I've found I have to enable gpu rendering manually at least once on each slave machine?

There have been a few times where the samples/second reporting at the bottom doesn't match up with adding master and slave nodes samples/sec when added together. Every time I've seen this they were definitely contributing it just wasn't reporting right. You can see per machine contribution speed under 'network rendering' or time your render with and without network rendering on to see.

Lastly the speed reported is an average so the numbers tend to improve for a bit (network contributions can take longer to really show up) before they stabilize if you are not giving it enough time to report a functioning average.

As for the other comment Indigo is still my go to for everything despite having licenses for Vray 6 and various renderers included with 3ds max. It still works well and is solid enough for me for now. Nick (Developer) has said before that his attention has mostly moved to substrata though looks like that has been kind of quiet for a few months. Chaotica development has also been quiet for over a year.

Nick also said this a couple years ago in this forum 1-2 releases ago (its still there if you want to verify it):
----
Re: Indigo Renderer 4.6.0 Beta Release
Post by OnoSendai » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:20 pm

Hi guys.
Recently I have been focusing on Substrata. There is a little bit of Indigo development going on occasionally - some improvements to denoising, lightmap backing etc. As well as some custom improvements for some customers.

I'm still considering the future of Indigo. one possibility is open sourcing it.
----

That said

If there are community developers that are willing to tackle indigo then I hope they speak up maybe they can convince him to go that route.

mpro31

Post by mpro31 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:26 pm

Hey Yiqin, Thanks for the reply and your input. I've managed to utilize a GPU for network rendering. Also, I've managed to use Indigo on a Mac Studio M2 Max with an old C4D version, and I must say Indigo still thrives. It provides fast and accurate results, much better than Cycles, although the latter is optimized for Apple Silicon.

Once again, it's a pity if this software goes down.

My suggestion to the team is not to abandon it.

Headroom
Indigo 100

Post by Headroom » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:00 am

A macOS version that natively support Apple silicon would indeed be nice.
I suspect, however that this is a serious effort due to the differences in architecture of the graphics hardware.

37 posts