Indigo Renderer 2.4.3 Released

General News and accouncements regarding the Indigo render engine
User avatar
fused
Developer
Posts: 3648
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:19 am
Location: Berlin, Germany
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Re: Indigo Renderer 2.4.3 Released

Post by fused » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:58 pm

pixie wrote:Could you elaborate on which kind of tests you've made?
Just rendered the same scene with both versions and calculated the increase in samples/second.

It's not some kind of perceptual convergence improvement, its a blunt speedup.

forgeflow
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Indigo Renderer 2.4.3 Released

Post by forgeflow » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:56 am

Waiting patiently for a Mac build. :)

ritter
Indigo 100
Posts: 202
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:15 pm

Re: Indigo Renderer 2.4.3 Released

Post by ritter » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:12 am

forgeflow wrote:Waiting patiently for a Mac build. :)

Me too!

User avatar
Jambert
Indigo 100
Posts: 545
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:08 pm
Location: France, Lyon

Re: Indigo Renderer 2.4.3 Released

Post by Jambert » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:32 am

20% gpu desable :)!!!

waiting for a linux build too ;)

StompinTom
Indigo 100
Posts: 1828
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:33 pm

Re: Indigo Renderer 2.4.3 Released

Post by StompinTom » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:34 am

Indigo 2.4.3 is crashing just before it starts rendering, after it's loaded everything, done subdivisions. I have a suspicion that it may have to do with subdivision. Other scenes seemed to load and render fine, as did this one before I started using subdivision.

Testing...

User avatar
Zom-B
1st Place 100
Posts: 4701
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:18 pm
Location: ´'`\_(ò_Ó)_/´'`
Contact:

Re: Indigo Renderer 2.4.3 Released

Post by Zom-B » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:38 am

StompinTom wrote:Indigo 2.4.3 is crashing just before it starts rendering, after it's loaded everything, done subdivisions. I have a suspicion that it may have to do with subdivision. Other scenes seemed to load and render fine, as did this one before I started using subdivision.
Yes, I had such an issue too! I send a example crash file to fused for investigation...

StompinTom
Indigo 100
Posts: 1828
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:33 pm

Re: Indigo Renderer 2.4.3 Released

Post by StompinTom » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:13 am

Zom-B wrote:
StompinTom wrote:Indigo 2.4.3 is crashing just before it starts rendering, after it's loaded everything, done subdivisions. I have a suspicion that it may have to do with subdivision. Other scenes seemed to load and render fine, as did this one before I started using subdivision.
Yes, I had such an issue too! I send a example crash file to fused for investigation...
Yep! The scene works perfectly fine without subdivision.

User avatar
ENSLAVER
Posts: 399
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:49 am

Re: Indigo Renderer 2.4.3 Released

Post by ENSLAVER » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:40 am

On that note I get a crash with a displacement that has high subdiv AND a diffuse map, take away diffuse it's fine. (x64)

User avatar
Zom-B
1st Place 100
Posts: 4701
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:18 pm
Location: ´'`\_(ò_Ó)_/´'`
Contact:

Re: Indigo Renderer 2.4.3 Released

Post by Zom-B » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:50 am

ENSLAVER wrote:On that note I get a crash with a displacement that has high subdiv AND a diffuse map, take away diffuse it's fine. (x64)
I also can confirm this issue...

User avatar
Zom-B
1st Place 100
Posts: 4701
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:18 pm
Location: ´'`\_(ò_Ó)_/´'`
Contact:

Re: Indigo Renderer 2.4.3 Released

Post by Zom-B » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:16 am

fused wrote:Nick mentioned today that Indigo 2.4 should be quite a bit faster than 2.2 so i benchmarked it.
Turns out that on my Core 2 Duo it is 20% faster. 8)
Well I don't think so Glare... at least not if you use subdiv a lot :(
speed.jpg
I found out that my testrenders for towel closeups with high subdiv and displacement where rendering very slow!
This "benchmark" is done with this scene, with a lot of subdiv around the scene...
This speed problem maybe also related to the crashes mentioned above.


btw: why does the news site tell something about a speedup of 20-30% ??? Any proofs for this???

User avatar
fused
Developer
Posts: 3648
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:19 am
Location: Berlin, Germany
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Re: Indigo Renderer 2.4.3 Released

Post by fused » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:49 am

well depends on your hardware. nick said 30% on his i7 but on my core 2 duo it was only 20. i tested the pins sample scene.

User avatar
Godzilla
Indigo 100
Posts: 985
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:33 am

Re: Indigo Renderer 2.4.3 Released

Post by Godzilla » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:18 pm

So, is there any reason why Zom-B's scene is slower?

User avatar
lycium
Posts: 1216
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:46 am
Location: Leipzig, Germany
Contact:

Re: Indigo Renderer 2.4.3 Released

Post by lycium » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:24 pm

I think there are currently some issues with displacement and bump mapping, there was an example shown earlier with incorrect results.

User avatar
Zom-B
1st Place 100
Posts: 4701
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:18 pm
Location: ´'`\_(ò_Ó)_/´'`
Contact:

Re: Indigo Renderer 2.4.3 Released

Post by Zom-B » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:34 pm

lycium wrote:I think there are currently some issues with displacement and bump mapping, there was an example shown earlier with incorrect results.
Just tested Bvh vs Kd-tree for a closeup of a subdiv displaced towel

kd-Tree: 138k s/s
BVH: 94k s/s

User avatar
suvakas
3rd Place Winner
Posts: 2613
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:08 pm
Location: Estonia
Contact:

Re: Indigo Renderer 2.4.3 Released

Post by suvakas » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:28 pm

Zom-B wrote: kd-Tree: 138k s/s
BVH: 94k s/s
I belive this is normal. BVH loads faster, but renders slower than KD, I think.

Post Reply
154 posts