Hi all,
This will be a quick overview / tutorial of how to do level of detail (LOD) based FBM - e.g. FBM that is less detailed further away from the camera.
The general idea is that far away from the camera not so much detail is needed, so we can save CPU time by not computing so many octaves of FBM noise.
The width of a feature in world space is proportional to the width in screen space times distance from the camera:
w_ws = d * w_ss
the 'wavelength' (average feature size of finest detail of FBM noise) is
lambda = 2 ^ -t
where t = num octaves
We want the width in world space of a feature to be equal to the wavelength of the FBM noise, within some constant given by image resolution, camera FOV etc..
w_ws = A * lambda
so
d * w_ss = A * 2 ^ -t
=>
t = -log_2(B * d)
where B is another constant.
So in other words, we want to set the number of octaves to -log_2(B * d) where B is some constant and d is the distance from the camera.
Level of detail FBM
Level of detail FBM
- Attachments
-
- fbm_lod_test.igs
- (4.25 KiB) Downloaded 346 times
Re: Level of detail FBM
Thanks teacher !
I'm hoping I'll have the leisure to read and use this very soon !
I'm hoping I'll have the leisure to read and use this very soon !
obsolete asset
Re: Level of detail FBM
Hi OnoSendai,
I've been looking a lot to understand how to make this volumetric clouds, but its hard to understand because you guys made a lot of posts about it but each post giving only a few informations on the thing. Could you make sort of a quick tutorial please ?
What I have understand is that you need a FBM file of the cloud shape, but actually I don't get really more than that I think.
I mean, this clouds would be the most technical thing I have ever done with Indigo, and being not an expert, it's complicated.
Or I was thinking to make clouds with textures and subdivision displacement, but I guess it would need some density parameters to have no marked edges, like fog, and its something I don't really know how it works.
I've been looking a lot to understand how to make this volumetric clouds, but its hard to understand because you guys made a lot of posts about it but each post giving only a few informations on the thing. Could you make sort of a quick tutorial please ?
What I have understand is that you need a FBM file of the cloud shape, but actually I don't get really more than that I think.
I mean, this clouds would be the most technical thing I have ever done with Indigo, and being not an expert, it's complicated.
Or I was thinking to make clouds with textures and subdivision displacement, but I guess it would need some density parameters to have no marked edges, like fog, and its something I don't really know how it works.
