[OPTIMIZATION] DOF + Light reflections

Feature requests, bug reports and related discussion
Post Reply
6 posts • Page 1 of 1
User avatar
Zom-B
1st Place 100
Posts: 4701
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:18 pm
Location: ´'`\_(ò_Ó)_/´'`
Contact:

[OPTIMIZATION] DOF + Light reflections

Post by Zom-B » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:08 am

It seems the sampling for Light sources mirroring on Objects that are in a DOF blurred area is very, very poor.
Is there anything that can be done here??
dof_blur.jpg
rendered to 4200 spp
dof_blur.jpg (85.91 KiB) Viewed 2275 times
The shown image also has this bug!
Last edited by Zom-B on Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
polygonmanufaktur.de

User avatar
CTZn
Posts: 7240
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:34 pm
Location: Paris, France

Re: [BUG?] DOF + Light reflections

Post by CTZn » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:31 am

Not a bug but a difficult sampling case I think, the bigger the bokeh the more samples it needs, and all bokeh rays are indirect light.

1° Augment phong exponent (blurry reflections are spreading rays out, dividing rays density after each bounce)

2° As usual, try other samplers and/or combinations ?

oh, and 3°: Wait... wait... wait... ;)
obsolete asset

User avatar
Zom-B
1st Place 100
Posts: 4701
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:18 pm
Location: ´'`\_(ò_Ó)_/´'`
Contact:

Re: [BUG?] DOF + Light reflections

Post by Zom-B » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:42 am

Yes, I know that this is a difficult scenario!

But anyway.... if something is soooo slow I consider it being a bug.
I know that for unbiased render algos, time is the judge.
Rendering this image for 2 Days and result would be perfect!

Anyway, as you see by every reflection of the "bokeh", the quality drops
MASSIVELY!
The center Ball with the "ring" of reflections" and the balls in the Back have
their reflected bokeh just sampled only a bunch of times (the white noise cloud!)

But being a commercial Product It should be in the interest of Glare
to reduce such slowdown scenarios as much as possible :)

Speeding up Dof Blur rendering in general is a top request for me,
since I render images very often with this effect...
This here is a "on the top" scenario.
polygonmanufaktur.de

User avatar
CTZn
Posts: 7240
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:34 pm
Location: Paris, France

Re: [BUG?] DOF + Light reflections

Post by CTZn » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:54 am

This here is a "on the top" scenario.
Indeed, nice contribution again ZomB :)

The only thing I have to disagree is about the "bug" mention, although I understand the speed concern (and you understand that unbiasedness requires certain ways) calling sparse sampling a bug is imho strictly improper and misleading as to what unbiased engines are, since the technology is naturally aiming toward better performances.

And by this nature, better performances are of the highest priorities.

That's really just about the choosen word, everything else I agree with (e: cool thread tag btw).

I'm out ;)
obsolete asset

User avatar
OnoSendai
Developer
Posts: 6244
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 6:16 pm
Location: Wellington, NZ
Contact:

Re: [OPTIMIZATION] DOF + Light reflections

Post by OnoSendai » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:24 am

Your render is done with MLT, zom-b?

User avatar
Zom-B
1st Place 100
Posts: 4701
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:18 pm
Location: ´'`\_(ò_Ó)_/´'`
Contact:

Re: [OPTIMIZATION] DOF + Light reflections

Post by Zom-B » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:55 pm

mlt+bidir
polygonmanufaktur.de

Post Reply
6 posts • Page 1 of 1