Lighting Issue

Announcements, requests and support regarding SkIndigo - the Sketchup / Indigo exporter.
11 posts • Page 1 of 1
latimer

Lighting Issue

Post by latimer » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:02 am

I have an interior model with lighting used during a daytime setting. I set a face of a light fixture to be a light entity, and set the wattage to about 75 watts. One fixture renders fine, but when I render more fixtures, the light level goes down. I have finally figured out that I take the wattage I want and multiply it by the number of fixtures, so 75 watts X 10 fixtures= 750 watts overall for the material seeting. Is this the correct way to get the desired light level?

Thanks.

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:08 am

Hmm, do all the lights share the same mesh?

latimer

Post by latimer » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:09 am

I'm new to Indigo, what exactly is a mesh?

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:11 am

A mesh is a triangle mesh (group of triangles)

It depends how Skindigo divides up the model into meshes.
If all the lights share the same mesh, then the emitted power is shared over all the lights.

latimer

Post by latimer » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:17 am

No, each light is its own component. Its not one big lit face in an opening behind the fixture, if thats what you mean. But maybe that would work? Just cutting an opening in the fixture, since they are recessed fixtures, and putting one big lit face behind the fixture.

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:30 am

It sounds like you're already modelling it the correct way latimer.

Perhaps we'll see what Whaat thinks.

crojack

Post by crojack » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:05 am

you should be able to set a material to a light and then pace that wherever you would like. like setting a material to be a lightbulb in a lamp and placing that lamp all over the place. no need for the math you described above. one thing though is that you do need to up the wattage if you are also using daylight to light a scene. try a night scene, sketchup background to black, and see if you have to do the same thing.

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:54 am

SkIndigo will combine all of your light compoennts into the same mesh at export time so I suspect that is why you have to increase the wattage. Sorry, this probably does not make sense to you but Ono will understand and can maybe explain things better.

latimer

Post by latimer » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:57 am

I understand what you're saying. It just seems like a screwey way to do it, but if it works.....whatever.

I really like the program overall, so if this is the only hurdle I come to, thats ok with me.

thanks.

crojack

Post by crojack » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:06 am

Whaat wrote:SkIndigo will combine all of your light compoennts into the same mesh at export time so I suspect that is why you have to increase the wattage. Sorry, this probably does not make sense to you but Ono will understand and can maybe explain things better.
I didn't know this. Is this why it takes some trial and error to get multiple lights at different wattages to look correct. it seems that there is more working here than just the wattage. I would think that high wattage = brighter, low wattage = dimmer; but that hasn't been the case in my renders.

cpfresh

Post by cpfresh » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:09 am

so skindigo clumps all like-materials together into its own respective mesh? would you then suggest making separate light materials inorder to keep each light power separate? or are meshes grouped by 'type' of material -- so all blackbodies get clumped together...?

11 posts • Page 1 of 1