Who get the materials parameters table used for indigo?

General discussion about Indigo Materials - material requests, material developement, feedback, etc..
6 posts • Page 1 of 1
FiveAG

Who get the materials parameters table used for indigo?

Post by FiveAG » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:03 am

Hi,there
the question I'd like to ask is there someone get the materials parameters table for any materials which including any common materials as water,metal,wood .
I think this table will be very convenient for new material making without more time consuming.
you know efficiency is treasure in today's society!!! :lol:

FiveAG

Re: Who get the materials parameters table used for indigo?

Post by FiveAG » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:05 am

this table must be able to be used in indigo.some materials parameters I can find from Internet is not used in indigo ,it used in Vray or other renderer, the parameters are totally different!!

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:03 am

Well, a good starting point is to use the Indigo MatDB.
simply by exchanging textures for wood for example you get quite fast good results (Its VERY important to keep scene scale "lifesize"!!!).

Anyway, I can only recommend to try for yourself, and get a feeling for Indigos material parameters.
This is quite important to become a better (Indigo) artist, and finish projects faster with results that are exactly like you wanted them to be...
polygonmanufaktur.de

FiveAG

Post by FiveAG » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:29 pm

he,he,but trying will waste lot of time.
My meaning is who can list the common material's parameters in a easy-search list such like below:
MaterialParameterTable.JPG
He,he,Maybe the parameter's value is wrong,but it is not matter.
I just show you the fashion of such table.
I think ,if someone can present such table for us ,it will add our working efficiency without taking that lots of trying to get the real result.and it will be very easy for us to adjust different material's parameters in indigo. :lol:

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:58 pm

Hi fiveAG

I understand your concern, but despite appearances Zom-B's answer should give the most straight-forward/accessible method. I'll try to add a few insights here.

Scientists do. Laboratories, universities.

Ideally, exporters should provide presets. Materials from the library are "advanced presets" because they provide eventually multiple textures to define materials parameters. The phong material has the option to use nkData wich addresses the issue straight away for many metals.

Now, what if we would want to do such a table for "wood" ? Crazy job, really. Wood colours range from green-ish to red colors (they are opposite colors !), and wether it is polished, varnished, weathered, closer to the core, or exterior of the tree, veiny or just grainy, "wood" would take very different parameters.

Under these conditions, all that can be done would be to provide approximate values or ponctual examples; that's what the library does :) From there, it is more effective for artists to approximate the look they want using materials editors (standalone or from exporters).

Achieving realism doesn't come without a certain experience of the Indigo tools, a trained eye and basic knowledge of the real materials. That's a complex equation wich again is solved best, in my own opinion (and Zom-b's), by the material library.

Think of the material library as a super-table ;)

That said, this Materials forum is the place to ask for a given case and most often this ends with a new material in the library !

This was long but hopefully explains a lot,

Cheers
obsolete asset

FiveAG

Post by FiveAG » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:59 pm

Thanks a lot to you ,CTZn!
your explaination make me clear to the function of Material Library.
in recently, through changing the map used in Material Library and adjusting the parameters' value,I get different Material result.
Thanks to you masters,you point a clear and bright road to me!! :D

6 posts • Page 1 of 1