Sci-fi research

Get feedback from others on your works in progress
14 posts • Page 1 of 1
Borgleader

Sci-fi research

Post by Borgleader » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:02 pm

I'm looking to make a sci-fi themed scene most likely involving holograms (which I'm working on right now) but I need a bit of help.

I'd like to know which architectures/environments/... you really like (sci-fi themed of course). If you could provide images/screenshots/artwork of it, it would help my spark my imagination :)

I've been replaying Kotor & Mass Effect to that end but I figure more can't hurt :)
benn hired a mercenary to kill my sig...

Soup

Re: Sci-fi research

Post by Soup » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:22 pm

Oh there so much cool stuff out there, I remember some early concept art for Star Wars to be really good. Just deviantart or google search concept art

Ailig

Post by Ailig » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:58 pm

Well Syd Mead would be the best choice I think :) great futuristic architecture and environments, yet grounded in reality..ehmm:)

Borgleader

Post by Borgleader » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:21 pm

Thanks for that, both of you. I'll keep looking into both of those, but in the meantime I've found the subject of my first "sub-project", more on that later :) Keep the suggestions coming though! (I'll keep you posted on some of my progress as I go. Gotta keep some secrets for the final renders :wink: )

Ailig

Post by Ailig » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:56 pm

Good, i would like to see some well made SF Indigo project.

Here are some more interesting pages, i think you might like the second one a lot :) :

http://bldgblog.blogspot.com/2007/03/sc ... -fest.html

http://www.24thcid.com/

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:05 pm

Hey, challenging topic Borgleader.

I for one would look for readings, beside images. It is probable that displays as we know them will be obsolete, replaced by (bio-embedded) devices wich would connect to the apparatus you want to interact with. The impact on design might be huge, probably going toward very minimalistic (poor) home environments, from our actual POV at least.

Altering human biology ("augmenting" it, *cough*) seems to be a privileged way to augment... individual dependency on industrial solutions, to a point where "natural" human would be considered (and would feel) inadapted, if not terrorists, because they would have a much lower traceability and therefore could only be considered as a social threat (and damn, they wouldn't pay industrials).

Whatever, I'm not recommending you to read me lol. If you got me right, I don't like the point to wich those guys want to bring us, but unfortunately I don't own their means to defend my opinion:

http://mindstalk.net/vinge/vinge-sing.html
http://www.singularity.com/themovie/index.php

Those guys are serious guys, they believe in this and they even created an university to develop it all. NASA guys, how serious can they be ? I'm not telling they are right, but since they are making it real they'll know how to take advantage (word).

Look also for stuff on ergonomics:
A thorough understanding of the specific tasks an object is intended for is central to achieving the ergonomic design goal of aiding the human form in executing them. Quality ergonomics is thought to reduce the risk of injury and errors by ensuring that technology and humanity fit and are working together. Greater accuracy and more efficient performance will be achieved by meeting human needs with technology. Quality of life will also be improved.
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-ergonomic-design.htm

Blah. They know how to sell it and you will want to be part of it, because criticism is not taught for decades.

Feeding yourself with reference images is likely to reduce relevance, if the sources are wrong (likely).

IMHO, there's no good design wich excludes Nature :P
obsolete asset

Ailig

Post by Ailig » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:50 pm

Wow, interesting read CTZn, but somehow depressing. I cant see the the future bright in this, unlike those guys...but who knows...

"Intelligent nanorobots will be deeply integrated in our bodies, our brains, and our environment, overcoming pollution and poverty, providing vastly extended longevity, full-immersion virtual reality incorporating all of the senses"

Well, this "overcoming pollution and poverty" has been here many times before...so far it sounds more like an excerpt from some religious brochure ....

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:12 am

Against depression, your iPod is the solution... *sigh*

No but seriously, as long as we are not to choose the technologies that target us as consumers, we are to be considered as a depressed mass in constant demand.

After all, realism must prevail or no solution can happen :)

Edit: Let me correct myself and declare this post and the related discussion OT and to be discontinued. Still, the reading material is of interest to orient design ;) Soz Borgleader
obsolete asset

Borgleader

Post by Borgleader » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:07 am

A lot of detail is missing (and obviously I havent started on the textures :wink: ) but you might recognize claptrap from borderlands.

Stur

Post by Stur » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:50 am

do beedoo beedoo beedoooo !

Nice, go on :)

FiveAG

Post by FiveAG » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:45 pm

outter space scene will be full of imagination. And future city, flying car will be Sci-fi. And I heard that flying car is becoming true.

jarmenkell

Post by jarmenkell » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:52 am

hope this site can help you - http://conceptships.blogspot.com/
it is awesome imho

Godzilla
Indigo 100

Post by Godzilla » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:17 am

:o

Great site.
samlavoie.xyz

Borgleader

Post by Borgleader » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:16 am

Godzilla wrote:

:o

Great site.
+1 :o :o

14 posts • Page 1 of 1