IndigoMax - 3dsmax Indigo Renderer Wrapper

Announcements, requests and support regarding the 3DS MAX exporter
subpixel
Developer

IndigoMax - 3dsmax Indigo Renderer Wrapper

Post by subpixel » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:11 am

Hello,

I would like to share with You a little plugin that I've been working on. It's a renderer plugin that exports scene to Indigo and renders using indigo_console.exe, as such it get all benefits of renderer structure: speed, output handling, statistics and material preview (which for now is kind of drawback).
At the moment it cannot present any real value since material handling is minimal. It will be expanded in feature versions.
You might wonder, why would anyone need such plugin, when there's a great Maxigo plugin. Well, I have two reasons: animation rendering and renderfarm usage. I found Maxigo to handle these issues quite poorly, yet it's a piece of great work (don't get me wrong).

As always, this application was written with no harm intended, but please take an extra care when using with any valuable data, please don't hold me responsible for any possible damage.

Note it was not tested on all systems and platforms, so please report any crashes. I'm also wondering, what do you think about this. Do you find it useful?

New features:
  • export of UV coords in igmesh (multi-channel)
  • export maps in png/exr format
  • support for standard materials: diffuse, bump, displacement, self-illumination maps
  • support for ortographic views (experimential)
  • recognition of hidden faces, non-renderable objects
  • new GUI tabs: Main, Camera, Tonemapping (note: some controls are not yet functional)
Current TODO List:
  • native Indigo Material and Maps - brushing up GUI
  • native Indigo Camera object
  • support for V-ray materials, lights and cameras
  • new GUI tab: Advanced settings
Supported Max versions: 9, 2008, 2009, 2010 (all 32 and 64 bit)
Installation: Download IndigoMax.zip; Read install.txt
Attachments
IndigoMax.zip
version 0.1.39
Please read install.txt for instructions
(471.07 KiB) Downloaded 801 times
Last edited by subpixel on Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:27 am, edited 4 times in total.

ENSLAVER

Re: IndigoMax - 3dsmax Indigo Renderer Wrapper

Post by ENSLAVER » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:29 am

It's a good idea, would make some things easier. I had a couple of random crashes (I didn't really take note, I will check again later when I have more time).

I think it would be awesome if it worked in paralell with maxigo (eg. Used it's settings/materials/lighting options etc). Possibly a checkbox in maxigo to render using the wrapper/console.

suvakas
3rd Place Winner

Post by suvakas » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:44 am

Hi subpixel,
I will check out what you've done asap.
I also want you to know (before you start to invest large amounts of your free time into this), that Maxigo is currently being converted into native render plugin (probably similar to what you have done..but I have to check first).

subpixel
Developer

Post by subpixel » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:16 pm

Hi all,

I've uploded a new version of IndigoMax (v0.1.27). There had been a lot of changes in a code (implemented all Indigo parameters from specification). Now it works with instances and multimaterials and some minor stability issues were fixed. Also it now supports max 2010.
However, there aren't any changes to GUI, but please be patient - more to come soon (with native material and maps). Right now I'm working on UV export and maps export.

As always, feedback and error reports are most welcome.
(Please don't report any bugs in MatEditor though it's merely touched)

Regards,

subpixel
Developer

Post by subpixel » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:47 am

Hi all,

I've uploded yet another new version of IndigoMax (v0.1.39). This time, it brings UV data export (which completes igmesh implementation) and maps support (for now only with standard material). Also I've added finally some GUI to renderer tab. Keep in mind that map buttons aren't yet functional, as well as Film Type combo (short for response_function_path). BTW what is current path for functions? Is it "data/camera_response_functions/" ?

There's a small experiment with ortographic views support (which isn't really possible - I know), but it involves some magic numbers so bugs are expected. However, one might find it useful.

There are still some issues i'm aware, like errors with unsupported UV channel, compression of UV channels, maps handling. However, I'll fix it later, next release will bring Indigo Material and Spectrum Map. So stay tuned.

As always, feedback and error reports are most welcome.

Regards,

subpixel
Developer

Post by subpixel » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:48 pm

Hello,

As I've written on Maxigo thread, I'll inhibit myself from posting new versions of IndigoMax until situation will be sorted out. I don't want to step on anyone feet.

However, I'm still working on this project, whenever possible. I've reached a stage where I have a closed material interface (but more about later). At the moment, I'm working on advanced settings tab, there had been some movement within tabs. Basically, I've moved all render settings to advanced tab (which is supposed to be left alone by average user). Also I've added two preset combos: Scene type (indoor, outdoor) and Render quality (low, medium, high). Combination of these two is supposed to set all renderer parameters (or a good starting point).

[EDIT] I've moved part of this post to new topic: http://www.indigorenderer.com/forum/vie ... f=9&t=9933

Regards,
Last edited by subpixel on Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

jinj

Post by jinj » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:47 am

subpixel wrote:Hello,

As I've written on Maxigo thread, I'll inhibit myself from posting new versions of IndigoMax until situation will be sorted out. I don't want to step on anyone feet.

Regards,
hi Subpixel....
your work is welcome... a second exporter version for indigo is highly appreciated :)
we must test how geometry exporting process work... about materials... what about an material able to import indigo materials files! so I can export materials also made under maxigo.... and import it with your exporter version!

biderectional, post_process_diffraction ;)

jinj

Post by jinj » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:12 am

hi again,
just tried... :D
geometry seams to be exported correctly... standard mat are supported... nice work... indigo console start very fast :wink:
orthographic view work... indigo console crash wen self illuminating is flagged
any way good job and start man
I stay tuned for other updated version of the exporter..

a question... do you will also ad support for real time film setting and tone mapping? will you add "this" to the main 3ds max render window?

PS: max 2009 32 bit

subpixel
Developer

Post by subpixel » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:43 am

Hi jinj,
do you will also ad support for real time film setting and tone mapping?
Not really, since there'll be an option (a new switch: interactive mode) to start GUI version of Indigo, where you can set these parameters. Once happy with result, you can put values to IndigoMax.

Ad. material support. In future release there'll be full support for Indigo Materials (igm), also Vray materials should be interpreted properly without conversion.

Thanks for the feedback.

Regards,

jinj

Post by jinj » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:52 am

subpixel wrote:Hi jinj,
....................................................................................................................................
Ad. material support. In future release there'll be full support for Indigo Materials (igm), also Vray materials should be interpreted properly without conversion.

Thanks for the feedback.

Regards,
that's amazing... since I just work with vray :wink:

subpixel
Developer

Post by subpixel » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:07 am

Just to straighten this up, some advanced features (like dispersion, advanced SSS or complex IOR) won't be possible, you'll have to convert to IndigoMax material for that, but rest should just work fine.
I'm glad you like it, though ;)

jinj

Post by jinj » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:43 am

subpixel wrote:Just to straighten this up, some advanced features (like dispersion, advanced SSS or complex IOR) won't be possible, you'll have to convert to IndigoMax material for that, but rest should just work fine.
I'm glad you like it, though ;)
any way amazing news... :wink:
obviously I will render a diamond with a glass dispersive indigo material... but for all other ones that are not metal, complex glass or sss is a great thing to have it supported!

subpixel
Developer

Post by subpixel » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:58 am

Hi all,

Today I received a very kind answer from Nick concerning IndigoMax. I hope he won't mind posting a quote here.
(...) you are more than welcome to keep developing IndigoMax, (as an 'unofficial' exporter) as well as posting releases on the forum.
This should clear things up. I'll post new version as soon as possible.

Thanks for the support,

jinj

Post by jinj » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:29 am

hi,
next update?

subpixel
Developer

Post by subpixel » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:47 pm

Sorry, but you'll have to wait a bit more :oops:
I'll keep you informed.