Black Anodized/Painted Brushed Aluminum

General discussion about Indigo Materials - material requests, material developement, feedback, etc..
7 posts • Page 1 of 1
ieatfish

Black Anodized/Painted Brushed Aluminum

Post by ieatfish » Fri May 28, 2010 9:42 pm

I've been trying to make a material like the image below for some time now. I can get almost exactly what I am looking for in the Material Editor but as soon as I put it in a model, it comes out very light and shiny. Could someone try it out and see how it works for them? I am using Sketchup and the models are usually 8" square or so. I can fix the gouges to be more realistic later but for now, I can't seem to get the color/reflectivity right. You can see how the material looks in the editor below as well.

Attachments
Black Anodized Aluminum.pigm
(248.79 KiB) Downloaded 493 times
Intel Core-i7 @ 4.0 GHz | GTX 580 | 12 GB RAM

CTZn

Re: Black Anodized/Painted Brushed Aluminum

Post by CTZn » Sat May 29, 2010 11:41 am

Don't use reinhard (auto) tonemapping if you are after the same look, but camera preferably. You want to check the white balance presets also.

Test the material on a plane of roughly the same dimensions; if the shading is as expected then the mesh normals might be in cause, try to make them flat. Hope this helps.

And, the test scene has many lights, this softens bump mapping. As far as I can tell from the planck pic your material looks good ieatfish.
obsolete asset

ieatfish

Post by ieatfish » Sat May 29, 2010 12:08 pm

Alright, thanks! I have new resolve.

benn

Post by benn » Sat May 29, 2010 12:14 pm

Can you upload that to the material database as well? :D

ieatfish

Post by ieatfish » Sat May 29, 2010 12:25 pm

benn wrote:Can you upload that to the material database as well? :D
For sure. When I get it to a point where I am happy, it will be uploaded. Or do you mean upload it in its incomplete form? It embarrasses me right now. :lol:

In the meantime, I was goofing around and uploaded concrete and cardboard materials today. Feel free to criticize and give suggestions.

ieatfish

Post by ieatfish » Sat May 29, 2010 3:28 pm

Alright, I think I got it to a point where I am content with the results in my specific application. Would anyone else like to try it out and see how it works for them?

The preview in the Material Editor is quite different from how it ends up appearing in the actual model. I attached the pigm file.
Attachments
Black Anodized Brushed Aluminum.pigm
(345.83 KiB) Downloaded 490 times

ieatfish

Post by ieatfish » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:14 pm

Well, I was never really satisfied with the last iteration of the material. I think I have almost gotten to where I can bear to look at it but I have some issues. I have to set the bump map as a Sketchup texture so I can scale it correctly. Just linking to the igm makes the bump image extremely small and it looks more like very short gouges than brushed strokes. If I can find a way to save the texture scale from sketchup into the pigm, I might have a chance but I'd have no idea how to do that.

7 posts • Page 1 of 1