Dose Blendigo free version support multi core processors ?

Announcements, requests and support regarding the Blender Indigo export script
14 posts • Page 1 of 1
Gridlost

Dose Blendigo free version support multi core processors ?

Post by Gridlost » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:21 pm

I was wondering if Blendigo Free version supports quad cores? Multi core rendering of a scene like Vue and other rendering programs?

I ask because I have a new quad core arriving in a week. I was hoping to use blendigo to do some animations. I was hoping that it supported multi core rendering to speed up the frame rendering times.

I have seen a few Indigo animations and i am highly impressed. I remember a few year ago when Indigo was in early beta, Some guy on a blender forum showed it off. everyones Jaws dropped. It was asked if Indigo could do animation and the response and a few people had used it was no, or that it would take weeks to perform simple animations.

Much disappointed at that time, but; it was a great addition to a small list of renderers available to Blender.

Fast forward a few more years, I find myself wandering back to blender, now owning a copy of Zbrush, Poser and Vue, And Multi-core CPU's are in existence. A new reality in rendering has arrived. I'm just a hobbyist. Broke, hit hard by the muddy economy I'm looking at blender now and indigo to realize my artistic dreams.

I am wrong in assuming that Indigo is the right choice for this?

Borgleader

Re: Dose Blendigo free version support multi core processors

Post by Borgleader » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:09 pm

Let's just clear something up first, Blendigo is just the exporter "all" it does is write the scene file that indigo will read in order to create your render.

So the question should be "does indigo support multi-core", and the answer is yes. The only limitations in the "trial" version as i recall are the size of the render (07.megapixel) and having to keep the logo.

As for the animations i believe theyre possible in blender but i cant say for sure as ive never tried one, they do however take a lot of time to render, most of the ones ive seen are usually multiple renders which fade from one to the next to give the appearance of an animation when its actually an interpolation between renders.

as for your question about it being the right tool for the job, i guess its something only time will tell.
benn hired a mercenary to kill my sig...

Gridlost

Post by Gridlost » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:52 pm

I believe I had seen an animation using Blendigo to render the scene but demonstrating the Blender physics engine. Fluid to be exact.
It all looked seamless to me. but then again, i am an amateur.

I shall have to give it a go. I will play with Houdini as well and I would love to purchase Messiah.... but money is a giant wall. anyone here know anything about messiah? dose it animate very well? The next software i purchase will have to be on credit. I need to get the most bang for my buck.

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:05 pm

Gridlost wrote:I believe I had seen an animation using Blendigo to render the scene but demonstrating the Blender physics engine. Fluid to be exact.
It all looked seamless to me.
Yes, this was managed by precalculating (static) meshes that changed for each frame, so the exporter created a new (water) mesh for each frame, and indigo simply rendered each after the other :)

Only fallback here is the missing motion blur since motion vector cant be calculated between the frames :/
polygonmanufaktur.de

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:54 am

Zom-B wrote:
Gridlost wrote:I believe I had seen an animation using Blendigo to render the scene but demonstrating the Blender physics engine. Fluid to be exact.
It all looked seamless to me.
Yes, this was managed by precalculating (static) meshes that changed for each frame, so the exporter created a new (water) mesh for each frame, and indigo simply rendered each after the other :)

Only fallback here is the missing motion blur since motion vector cant be calculated between the frames :/
Motion blur has been implemented since:

http://www.indigorenderer.com/forum/vie ... 9&start=60

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:04 am

@Tom

MB currently works only with object transforms (Rot, Loc, Scale) and not with actual deforming meshes, such as the output of a fluid sim.

Borgleader

Post by Borgleader » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:05 am

StompinTom wrote: Motion blur has been implemented since:

http://www.indigorenderer.com/forum/vie ... 9&start=60
Yes but those "particles", they were animated right? Where as I believe fluid sim is simply a mesh varying from one frame to the other by being recalculated and not animated, so I think Zom-B's point stands.

(dougal2 beat me to it)
benn hired a mercenary to kill my sig...

FPSatan

Post by FPSatan » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:09 am

The Blender Fluid simulation output is just a bunch of meshes which is loaded one per frame, so there is no transformation, just static meshes.

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:25 pm

dougal2 wrote:@Tom

MB currently works only with object transforms (Rot, Loc, Scale) and not with actual deforming meshes, such as the output of a fluid sim.
Ah, Ok. Yeah, that makes sense. Hope we'll see something in the near future to that effect!

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:07 pm

StompinTom wrote:Ah, Ok. Yeah, that makes sense. Hope we'll see something in the near future to that effect!
Only thing that works here would be multiple subframe rendering and merging the different igi files into a single image.
But I don't know how "unbiased" this is.... anyway, works quite good regarding the results ;-)
polygonmanufaktur.de

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:57 am

Zom-B wrote:
StompinTom wrote:Ah, Ok. Yeah, that makes sense. Hope we'll see something in the near future to that effect!
Only thing that works here would be multiple subframe rendering and merging the different igi files into a single image.
But I don't know how "unbiased" this is.... anyway, works quite good regarding the results ;-)
Would probably take forever, though, to get a decent result! It's kind of like the old motion blur in Blender.

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:50 am

StompinTom wrote:Would probably take forever, though, to get a decent result! It's kind of like the old motion blur in Blender.
No, it wouldn't!!!

I talk about merging igi files: 8 images with 25spp would result in a image with 200spp!!!
polygonmanufaktur.de

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:26 am

Zom-B wrote:
StompinTom wrote:Would probably take forever, though, to get a decent result! It's kind of like the old motion blur in Blender.
No, it wouldn't!!!

I talk about merging igi files: 8 images with 25spp would result in a image with 200spp!!!
Hmmmm! The man has a point.

benn

Post by benn » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:11 pm

We may support mesh deformation motion blur in the 3.x series.

14 posts • Page 1 of 1