1rst render: Problem with lighting

Get feedback from others on your works in progress
JotaSolano

Re: 1rst render: Problem with lighting

Post by JotaSolano » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:34 pm

Zom-B wrote:
JotaSolano wrote:Any advice on the other thing, (rendering time)... before you said that sometimes when you don't use emitters properly, it can get pretty slow... (i know photon rendering is slower than the other kind... like blender internal...) but still... 30 min should be enough for this simple scene... or not?
Any info about your system could help here ;-)

A advice would be to keep emitting meshes "low Poly" if possible... also use a pure black diffuse with emission for this!
The emitting mesh is quite low poly and it's black diffuse ... so the problem is not there...

I'm suspecting my pc is not the fastest one around lol... the thing is that when i bought it it wasn't intended for 3d rendering... just simple graphic design... that was about a year ago... then I discovered Blender and it all changed...

It's a Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 2.0GHz, 800Mhz, 2M L2 Cache an 3GB RAM
The video card is a 512MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570
Running Vista 32 bit :oops:

For the record it DOES render fast using vray for rhino and blender internal... quite fast... even with high quantity of transparencies and reflections, HDRs, etc... (so that's why im asking lol)

JotaSolano

Post by JotaSolano » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:36 pm

StompinTom wrote:
JotaSolano wrote:Lol... that's the fast way... it's also not the best looking...
If you've got the same number of edges on either side, it works wonderfully. Depends on your edges though, doesn't work in every situation.
Hmm... didn't know that... then I would've worked just fine for this !!

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:56 pm

Hmmm... seems quite slow rendering speed for you machine (even if not a Render Monster!).
Maybe you can post the scene, and some blender Head could take a look (me on C4D)!
polygonmanufaktur.de

JotaSolano

Post by JotaSolano » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:04 pm

Zom-B wrote:Hmmm... seems quite slow rendering speed for you machine (even if not a Render Monster!).
Maybe you can post the scene, and some blender Head could take a look (me on C4D)!
Well... compared to your machine... it's like ridiculous lol... I've already uploaded my scene... is on the opening post of this thread...

BTW... I love your portfolio !... omfg! lol... i just love the way you present your work in wire-frame... even if it's not rendered, it looks quite clean and thought trough :D

lycium

Post by lycium » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:56 pm

You guys have similar CPUs, just that Zom-B is giving dualcore as "2x" :P

I agree that it should be converging quickly on that scene; I still suspect that the walls are reflecting too much, given how long it's taking to converge... but it could well be another issue since the image doesn't look quite right yet ;)

JotaSolano

Post by JotaSolano » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:43 am

lycium wrote:You guys have similar CPUs, just that Zom-B is giving dualcore as "2x" :P

I agree that it should be converging quickly on that scene; I still suspect that the walls are reflecting too much, given how long it's taking to converge... but it could well be another issue since the image doesn't look quite right yet ;)
Could it be size? .. .cause I'm using blender units so... it's like... a huge lamp for indigo... that's the only thing i can think of... and the walls... also... there's a wall missing.. i'm only using 3 walls... (and the ceiling...)

JotaSolano

Post by JotaSolano » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:35 am

OK...

So i resized all the scene it to 0.3, (originally, the lamp sphere had a radius of 1 blender unit, which i think = 1m in Indigo) but still... it took 1h 16m 11s for these results (307 spp) !!! (my pc IS NOT that slow! lol)

It's still VERY noisy... I would never present this at college or to a client... I worries me that somethings wrong with my settings... (something that I wouldn't be able to change if detected)

Here's the latest .blend file: http://www.sendspace.com/file/m2xx91
If someone has the time... please take a look at it!, maybe you guys can detect what's making the rendering times sooo long!

Question: Can the noise be cause by overexposure? Cause if i let the camera tonemapping EV at 0... it looks quite sharp... (yet very dark obviously... completely useless)

I set the exposure to "automatic" cause I haven't found the way to "guess" the correct exposure. I know enough about photography but even when you use a camera you've got a metering system that suggests the correct exposure!

Thanks again for the input!

JS
Attachments
Lamp Test 4.jpg
Lamp Test 4.jpg (323.69 KiB) Viewed 3111 times
Lamp Test 5.jpg
Tonemapped with ISO 800 and EV:8
Lamp Test 5.jpg (453.47 KiB) Viewed 3112 times

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:06 pm

Those are normal rendering times. I hate to say it, but on average my full rez renderings take between 6 to 10 hours to resolve to a point where they're clear enough to use. I'm running a Phenom 9550 quad core.

JotaSolano

Post by JotaSolano » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:30 pm

:cry:

OMG !... well... at least apparently is not my computer...

JotaSolano

Post by JotaSolano » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:32 pm

Isn't it bad for the pc/processor to be working at its fullest for so many hours?? :lol:

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:10 pm

Yep, actually I think this JotaSolano may have a point. It's good thing indigo is getting gpu support because video cards are a lot more resilient to that kind of thing than cpus usually are..

suvakas
3rd Place Winner

Post by suvakas » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:54 pm

neo0. wrote:Yep, actually I think this JotaSolano may have a point. It's good thing indigo is getting gpu support because video cards are a lot more resilient to that kind of thing than cpus usually are..
That can't be true. 8)

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:07 am

JotaSolano, perhaps deactivate bidirectional path tracing but above all activate Metropolis (MLT) if it's not.

You are using real glass, almost the whole scene is lit by caustics hence the slowlyness. MLT will perform better here !

Not all computers have a proper cooling system to constantly run at full throttle; you may want to monitor system temperatures :!:
obsolete asset

JotaSolano

Post by JotaSolano » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:03 am

CTZn wrote:JotaSolano, perhaps deactivate bidirectional path tracing but above all activate Metropolis (MLT) if it's not.

You are using real glass, almost the whole scene is lit by caustics hence the slowlyness. MLT will perform better here !

Not all computers have a proper cooling system to constantly run at full throttle; you may want to monitor system temperatures :!:
Ok... i'll activate Metropolis next time... i ran a little google search and i found a lot of different software to monitor temperatures... any in particular you might recommend?

The good thing about this type of rendering is that you can pause and resume hours later lol

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:14 am

for a lampshade also try a Diffuse Transmitter material, should be way faster and also more Lampshade like ^^

JotaSolano wrote:BTW... I love your portfolio !... omfg! lol... i just love the way you present your work in wire-frame... even if it's not rendered, it looks quite clean and thought trough :D
Thanks a lot :)
The images should ALL be rendered, with a Flash based layer over it that you can drag and slide rendering to wireframe. Maybe my Flash Code is buggy here, try to refresh when you are on the private projects!
polygonmanufaktur.de

40 posts