SkIndigo Help?

General questions about Indigo, the scene format, rendering etc...
6 posts • Page 1 of 1
BluShift

SkIndigo Help?

Post by BluShift » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:28 am

I'm just beginning to discover displacement mapping, and this may sound pretty nooby, but WOW. So cool! :lol:

Anyways, so I still haven't moved beyond SketchUp and I get the feeling this is more a SketchUp issue than Indigo. In SketchUp you can "project" a texture to make it better wrap around a multi-faceted model (such as a sphere, etc.) Now, whenever I project textures it works great on the front and back of my model, but on the edges between them the texture (or displacement map, in this case) gets extremely stretched out. Does SketchUp/Skindigo support UV mapping or something similiar? (I'm not even sure that UV maps is what I need) :?

I've figured out how to make custom bump/displacement maps, how to "project" them, and get a nice phong going, and I must say I'm proud of how cool it looks. THAT's what my renders were missing :D

Now I just need to know how to "wrap it" properly. (inb4 condom jokes) :roll:

I'll attach a render so you can understand what I'm talking about. :lol:

As you can guess, it's been projected from the bottom left corner.
Attachments
render.png
Cool, no?
render.png (276.06 KiB) Viewed 2043 times

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Re: SkIndigo Help?

Post by Zom-B » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:26 am

This issue is known link.
Disable smoothing for subdiv and the stretching should disapear!

Try to post your threads in the right Subforum.... this here would fit in "Bugs and Requests"... your other thread would fit well in "Website & Community Forum"...

Anyway, you are always welcome to post Bugs you found :)
polygonmanufaktur.de

BluShift

Post by BluShift » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:13 pm

Zom-B wrote:This issue is known link.
Disable smoothing for subdiv and the stretching should disapear!

Try to post your threads in the right Subforum.... this here would fit in "Bugs and Requests"... your other thread would fit well in "Website & Community Forum"...

Anyway, you are always welcome to post Bugs you found :)
Ahaha my mistake. I figured it was more simple nooby-ness as opposed to a legitimate bug.

And yes, I probably should have put the other one in the right forum. Thanks for the heads up!

EDIT: I'm not actually seeing a place to uncheck smoothing for subdivison. I found the setting under "Mesh Subdivision" -- This allows me to change both Max Subdivisions and Minimum Micro-Poly Pixels, but I can't seem to disable one or the other altogether. Should I just enter "0" as a value under Max Subdivisions? This is with Indigo 1.1.18 and SkIndigo 1.1.16

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:50 pm

Hi BluShift, I think that the result is correct and that there is no subdivisions issue in the image.

Rather, you are projecting a 2d image onto the whole object (nb:so there are no UV seams).

A projection means that the whole object is "passed through" the texture, as opposed to "having the texture wrapped around the object"; the later is called "to make UVs" and is hardly the result of one click. It's hell :lol: Well it can be for complex models.

UVs are "pins" set all over the surface to stretch the texture between each of them, that's how people control how a texture is laying on a mesh.

Ultimately I think that's not something that SketchUp allows to do, or limitedly but I use a different software... Most downloadable models should have proper UVs I believe.
obsolete asset

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:24 am

Yes, the issue is the projected texture. Unfortunately, the UV mapping tools in SketchUp are almost useless. Displacement mapping requires nicely wrapped UVs.

I wrote a plugin for UV mapping in SketchUp using external UV software. You need to register on SCF to get it:
http://forums.sketchucation.com/viewtop ... 23&t=23725.

BluShift

Post by BluShift » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:29 am

I figured as much. I didn't have to set any UV anything, so I'm not sure what I was expecting :lol:

I think I'm going to have to move on to Blender at some point... I'm just put off by it's insanely complex UI.

6 posts • Page 1 of 1