Blendigo 2.3.x test releases

Announcements, requests and support regarding the Blender Indigo export script
The3dcie

Re: Blendigo 2.3.x test releases

Post by The3dcie » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:06 am

Any ETA on a Mac version of the exporter ? :)

Cheers,
Laurent aka Tartiflette :)

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:39 am

Mac version coming this weekend, with any luck

Doug Armand
Indigo 100

Post by Doug Armand » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:22 am

I'm sure you know this already but that irritating error:
Error%Broken installation of Blendigo, please reinstall
Abort

occurs everytime I use undo in blender, if you have a few steps to undo it fires off for each one - it's f*%king irritating :evil:
Doug

Doug Armand

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:23 am

OSX UPGRADE INSTRUCTIONS:

TO UNINSTALL:
- Close all open Blender and Indigo instances (or reboot).
- In Finder, go to /Applications/Utilities
- Run the Terminal application
- Type the following commands, pressing return after each line; be careful that you type each command exactly:
cd ~/
rm -r .indigo
defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
killall Finder
With these commands, we are removing the old Blendigo configuration file and allowing Finder to show hidden files. Keep the Terminal window open for now, we need to reverse the hidden files command later.

- Next we need to remove the old blendigo files. These are located inside the Blender.app package.
- In finder, locate the place(s) where you have blender installed. For example, this may be:
/Applications/blender-2.49b-OSX-10.5-py2.5-intel/blender
- you should ctrl-click blender and choose 'Show Package contents' (procudure explained here: http://www.mactipsandtricks.com/article ... dles.lasso)
- Go into the Contents, and then the MacOS and then the .blender and then the scripts folders.
- Delete the file blendigo.py and the folder blendigopkg. You may be asked for your password.

- Close the Finder window and go back to the Terminal. Type:
defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE
killall Finder
To restore Finder's behaviour.

INSTALLATION

OK, now you can proceed with installing this: http://www.indigorenderer.com/dist/expo ... -2.3.1.zip

And don't worry, you'll never have to do an uninstall like that again, things are different now :)

The3dcie

Post by The3dcie » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:21 am

Thanks a lot, doing the installation right now ! :D

Cheers,

The3dcie

Post by The3dcie » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:24 am

OK, bad news, it's not working ! :(

I have tried with Indigo installed in /Applications/, /Applications/Graphics/blender/ (where it is by default...) and also in /Users/myname/ and it's a no go every time !
The installer tells me that it can't find any Indigo installed (searched 2 levels deep in /Applications/ and 3 levels deep in ~home...)

Aargh, i really need to decide if i go for a licence of indigo before it raises to 595€, but as i get a lot of UV errors from the blender exporter (seems related to settings still taken into account in materials even though i have setup new materials since then...), i'm not sure i want to spend that much money even if it's a great render engine. :?

Cheers,

Edit : And before you ask regarding uv problems with the exporter, the exact same scene renders fine with YafaRay or LuxRender, but it's just that Indigo does so much more great renders ! :D

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:42 am

Hi Laurent,

Please don't panic, we can resolve any issues you may find in Blendigo - you shouldn't let that influence your decision to buy Indigo ;)

I'm a bit surprised that the installer cannot find Indigo, though at the same time not surprised - it's proving to be quite difficult to make reliable installers. However, I intend to master it eventually :twisted:

Any further details you can give me on the UV problem (what Indigo says, example .blend or .igs) would be very helpful too.

The3dcie

Post by The3dcie » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:21 am

I don't panic, i don't panic, i don't panic, i don't panic..... :shock: :wink:

Seriously though, i probably should start by putting Indigo directly into /Applications folder, as it seems blendigo 2.2 stable (which i just installed after being frustrated not being able to install 2.3... :oops: ) doesn't find the path to where Indigo.app is now (/Applications/Graphics/blender/Indigo/), even though i have modified the "location" file in ~home/.indigo/ ! :(

As for the uv problem i'm testing right now something, which is to come back to "default" or "UVTex" for any uv i have in one of the problematic scene. I'll see what's going on, and if it doesn't work, i'll upolad the .blend file as well as the .igs, but it will take some time as the scene file is quite huge ! (approx. 190MB...)

Thanks anyway for reading ! :D

Cheers,

The3dcie

Post by The3dcie » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:39 am

Well, a bit off-topic ( :mrgreen: ), but it seems i have been able to get rid of the uv problem by renaming all of them to the default name (that is UVTex in blender and default in Blendigo...) 8)

The question why is it working like this and not when i rename them (being that i have double/triple checked to be sure there was no difference in the uv name... :?: ) is another one ! :wink:

Let's say that it leaves room for improvements in Blendigo ! :D
That said, it should be a good sign for me to buy this great renderer, as i'd like to be able to render without limitation and without the watermark. (not that i don't like it, quite the opposite actually, but still... :wink: )

Thanks and keep up the good work,
Cheers,

FakeShamus

Post by FakeShamus » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:28 am

same problem here. installer can't find the indigo installation, no matter where I put it.

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:35 am

OK, thanks for the report. I obviously need to find a new strategy for the OSX installer.

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:15 am

There is no toggle to switch between post-process aperature diffraction and true aperature diffraction...

dag

Post by dag » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:15 am

Hello, some suggestions here.

Move xm, anim, render buttons above tabs to save space, and remove "press q to close" and the title bar thing under the tabs, which is useless.
The collapse/expand tabs are a little annoying to click all the time, especially since some of them stay open and some are closed when you save a blend, close, then reopens, even though some of them have a texture loaded.
If you use a texture for color and you save, then reopen the blend, color, and not texture is selected from the dropdown.
Maybe select texture automatically, or have some kind of indicator that you're using a texture.

What's the reason for subd beeing enabled by default, when you usually do subsurfs in blender?
Having to turn that off for all your meshes is no fun.

Where did the convert material from blender button go?

There is no sun and sky layer input field under environment.
Also get the broken install error.

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:24 am

dag wrote: The collapse/expand tabs are a little annoying to click all the time, especially since some of them stay open and some are closed when you save a blend, close, then reopens, even though some of them have a texture loaded.
If you use a texture for color and you save, then reopen the blend, color, and not texture is selected from the dropdown.
Maybe select texture automatically, or have some kind of indicator that you're using a texture.
The code that determines whether a texture is in use seems to be broken, I'll see about fixing that and then the GUI should behave as expected.
dag wrote:What's the reason for subd beeing enabled by default, when you usually do subsurfs in blender?
Having to turn that off for all your meshes is no fun.
a bug, I'll see about fixing that too.
dag wrote: Where did the convert material from blender button go?
Not sure, won't be hard to bring it back
dag wrote:There is no sun and sky layer input field under environment.
They are automatically named "sun" and "sky", other than having a button to force them into the same layer, I see no real reason to be able to call them any other arbitrary name.
dag wrote:Also get the broken install error.
OK, at least this bug is consistant. I know there's more work to be done in this area.

Thanks for highlighting the above points, they all seem valid and good candidates to get fixed.

FakeShamus

Post by FakeShamus » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:52 am

I've been wondering if it might be easier to download the mac Blendigo as a simple drag and drop package that you put in a 'scripts' folder somewhere, instead of as an installer, then you just give people directions to set their scripts directory path in Blender. also, didn't there used to be a dialog at Blendigo start-up that asked where indigo was located, and had you browse to it? that seems like a good way to avoid the missing indigo installation problem.

128 posts