[NEW VERSIONING] MayaToIndigo JAN-2010

Announcements, requests and support regarding the MAYA exporter
CTZn

Re: [NEW VERSIONING] MayaToIndigo JAN-2010

Post by CTZn » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:53 am

Added Maya instances support, needs more testing I'll release that on monday 25.
obsolete asset

SreckoM

Post by SreckoM » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:29 pm

Gr8! Thank you.

SreckoM

Post by SreckoM » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:00 pm

BTW CTZn, do you need help in developing this plugin?

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:24 am

Haha ! Thanks for asking SreckoM, I read you happened to code ;)

Let's cut it down, I'm not a coder myself, and yes I could use some management to make faster progresses. I'm just THE Maya user who wanted continuously an exporter since he knew about Indigo. Maybe noone would have been better, but for the life of me I can not just sit down and wait. In this regard I understand your question very well SreckoM, it's really, much appreciated.

Now, you must know that I consider that Glare do currently have the human ressources to do the job you need done, only that they are fully used for another project concerning more users than have ever shown in this subforum. I have good hope that when the first project will be mature, these ressources will be used toward a new paradigm for MtI, perhaps (probably in fact) toward a brand new exporter.

It's a matter of time and Maya users will be informed, I'm just reporting some implicits here.

Now In turn, your request (on instances) is pretty much all I am requesting from users: use me ! Yes, users request a working exporter :lol:

My first implementation for Maya instances was way too naive, I'm redoing that. See my point, because of you SreckoM I looked into parts of the code wich were scaring me and I'm now operating on them, I can nothing but thank you again for your reports, that's exemplary ;)

All in all, bear with me if you can (edit: that is, until the existing human ressources get unlocked), Glare has what it takes and I'm proud of that (e: with reason).

Update when I'll have perfected my traversals :) (and edit: I'm very close)
Last edited by CTZn on Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
obsolete asset

Phr0stByte

Post by Phr0stByte » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:36 am

I for one, feel your pain. I actually gave up Indigo altogether as soon as it went commercial. I have nothing against commercial software, but have always thought the MtI exporter for Maya (not meaning to offend here) was sub-par. I can understand why though, as it must be tough having to involve Maya's scripting language. I have gone on to master and play with other renderers, but still drop by the forum to check out the awesome renders from the community.

I hope one day to see a Maya exporter as silky smooth as Blendigo is. I am not a coder, but I can offer my testing services.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:49 am

I for one, feel your pain.
Ironically this fact from you released it somehow, thanks PhrOstByte !

Again, I understand users expectations. It is true that if that's not for a team work I'm getting crushed by snails :lol: you are all welcome to take part to the badgy man's support !

Men, if self-derision was not perceived negatively I would feel better overall ;)
obsolete asset

SreckoM

Post by SreckoM » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:56 am

I will for sure provide more feedback in future. Maybe I tried with bit complicated scenes at first...

I really like the results of Indigo, speed (my observations shows it is probably fastest unbiased render engine at market), and ease of use.

But without fully functional working Maya exporter (as for Cinema4D) I will not buy it. I just can not risk my projects nor import export to other apps to be able to use Indigo. I would really like to buy it for lower price (before 1st Feb), but what are guarantees that one day I will have working exporter....

So I am interested to help as much as I can, and I will by sending more feedback whenever I have spare time to play with it...

Keep up the good work.

Phr0stByte

Post by Phr0stByte » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:03 am

I will be trying my hand with Octane shortly. I think that is the fastest unbiased render on the market (or soon to be on the market, anyway).

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:38 pm

Your choice about that PhrO, it's you running ;) You are at home here anyways.

So... the current attempts for a fix are:

partial support for Maya instances
  • limitation: instances of instances will be exported as a whole mesh, up to the higher instanciation level.
    workaround: keep that in mind. Dispatch instances procedurally.
jumping meshes upon export

Palette display for layeredShaders

virtual plane option in textures
  • for fast baking of 2d textures (candy with pfx)
Indigo shelf

Regarding instances I went up fixing error events with increasingly complex scenes to a point, hopefully far enough for a basic usage. Tested with cubes and paint effects plants and grass.

@SreckoM: Keep in mind that I never really operated on transforms before your first post here, I learned some lots the last days ty !

I hope this release will be of use, if useable at all ;)

Hit the sign !
obsolete asset

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:58 pm

just the test render, pfx:

grass is made of half a dozen instances, tress about one quarter each.

Raw materials apart one ramp shader converted to a phong, no fancy stuff.
Attachments
instNatureTest.jpg
instNatureTest.jpg (154.53 KiB) Viewed 11152 times
obsolete asset

Soup

Post by Soup » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:31 am

Nice! Did you say it will support paintfx?? that'd be great if it's possible, but I know even mental ray that comes with Maya cannot.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:10 pm

Hey $oup, paintFX is supported since brushes can be converted to meshes, just as for mr :) Some default materials must be changed to supported ones tho, like the rampShader.

ATM i'm looking to refine the last added support for Maya duplicate instances, and btw update (and hopefully fix) particle instancers support, left behind.

How's the shelf now ? I'm hanging video tuts back until I'm sure at least some users could install MtI and start the editor successfully, or I don't see the point.
obsolete asset

SreckoM

Post by SreckoM » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:11 pm

Hey, about shelf was problem on my side, as soon as I deleted UserPrefs.mel, content of shelf appeared. Strange thing was that it was happening on 2 computers.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:24 am

Good to know SreckoM, I heard you.

How's the Duplicates instancing working for your tables btw ? I'm sure I haven't tested all scenes graphs, I have to suppose it's not rock solid.

Meanwhile I rehabilitated the partice instancers support (updated to the last system, fixed when up axis is Y), though it's not supporting mesh cycling (it's drawing'em all for each particle atm).

I'll be sure to ship a video with the next release.
obsolete asset

photons

Post by photons » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:57 pm

Hey my Maya crashes when I choose sun/sky under environment .. Did i do something wrong.?

37 posts