[REQ] Backface-Culling!

Feature requests, bug reports and related discussion
zeitmeister
2nd Place 100

[REQ] Backface-Culling!

Post by zeitmeister » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:56 am

Hey,
would it be possible to have an option wether polygon normals pointing away from the camera are being rendered or not?
This could help hiding objects from the camera!
Cheers, David

DAVIDGUDELIUS // 3D.PORTFOLIO
·
Indigo 4.4.15 | Indigo for C4D 4.4.13.1 | C4D R23 | Mac OS X 10.13.6 | Windows 10 Professional x64

pixie
Indigo 100
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Re: [REQ] Backface-Culling!

Post by pixie » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:00 am

zeitmeister wrote:Hey,
would it be possible to have an option wether polygon normals pointing away from the camera are being rendered or not?
This could help hiding objects from the camera!
I usually just select the second red ball, which is the object parameter that tells cinema you don't want a given object rendered. But it could indeed in some cases make the workflow easier (it would avoid separating the planes from a wall for example so that they could be hided).

delle

Post by delle » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:24 pm

I posted a similar message exactly one year ago (see here), but until now... no answer... :(

zeitmeister
2nd Place 100

Post by zeitmeister » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:04 am

Oh... ! :mrgreen:

I came into it becaus Prof4D asked for it, and then one day later a collegue at my former employer asked for it, too...
He needed the function for an interiour viz, where the camera is situated outside the room, but inside there's a mirror that should show the wall directly in front of the camera.
He wanted to avoid huge perspective distorsions with that...
hm.
Cheers, David

DAVIDGUDELIUS // 3D.PORTFOLIO
·
Indigo 4.4.15 | Indigo for C4D 4.4.13.1 | C4D R23 | Mac OS X 10.13.6 | Windows 10 Professional x64

pixie
Indigo 100
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by pixie » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:44 am

What he really want is camera clipping ;)

delle

Post by delle » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:23 pm

I'd like to have both :wink: but, if camera clipping implementation is too difficult to Ono (I don't know how Indigo is implemented internally), I proposed a work around to try to solve the problem (interior rendering of small rooms).

Until now no answer... :cry:

Here in Italy we say: "La speranza e' l'ultima a morire"...

bye

Delle

lycium

Post by lycium » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:30 pm

i try to keep off the forums but it pains me to see this go unanswered.

it does not make physical sense for a surface to suddenly stop existing once you look at it from another direction; indigo is a physically-based renderer.

delle

Post by delle » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:38 pm

lyc wrote:i try to keep off the forums but it pains me to see this go unanswered.

it does not make physical sense for a surface to suddenly stop existing once you look at it from another direction; indigo is a physically-based renderer.
...and what about camera clipping? Can be used in a "physically-based renderer" ? :wink:

lycium

Post by lycium » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:53 pm

sorry, i don't know what camera clipping is in this context. you mean not showing what's not visible to the camera?

lycium

Post by lycium » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:58 pm

ah, just read your post in the thread you linked (camera clipping == near clip plane). this is in the same family of hacks - making objects conveniently disappear.

consider that in a renderer such as indigo, of central importance is the energy balance in a scene. specifically, if energy is lost or gained in some inconsistent manner, things go awry (this is especially true for MLT since it explores around looking for higher contribution). the classical hacks and tricks of 3d graphics cannot apply here if we wish to keep using the laws of physics.

ps. delle, aren't you one of the lux render devs? if so i would imagine you know this :?:

delle

Post by delle » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:02 pm

lyc wrote:sorry, i don't know what camera clipping is in this context. you mean not showing what's not visible to the camera?
To be more precise, I'm talking about front plane camera clipping. It is a plane that virtually makes invisible the objects between tha camera and the plane itself.

Front Plane Clipping is what you need if you want to render a small bathroom placing the camera outside :wink:
Attachments
side.png
side.png (48.31 KiB) Viewed 5234 times

delle

Post by delle » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:08 pm

lyc wrote:...ps. delle, aren't you one of the lux render devs? if so i would imagine you know this :?:
No, I'm not a LuxDev man :lol: , but I'm currently following three Forum: Indigo, Lux and Yafaray :wink:

Maxwell Render has Camera Clipping and it's a Physically based Render... so... :roll:

lycium

Post by lycium » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:13 pm

i agree, that's good evidence that it can be done. please don't be too cynical man, nobody has an agenda to suppress anything.

since it's important to you, i'll try to remember to ask nick about it next time i see him.

suvakas
3rd Place Winner

Post by suvakas » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:15 pm

Well it's important for archi viz in general, not just for delle. :wink:
It's a quite common feature of proffessional renderers in our days.

delle

Post by delle » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:20 pm

lyc wrote:since it's important to you, i'll try to remember to ask nick about it next time i see him.
From the Interior Rendering point of view, this would be the major change to Indigo "core" since 1.1.18 (I'm speaking for myself of course) :roll:

50 posts