Night time scene

Announcements, requests and support regarding SkIndigo - the Sketchup / Indigo exporter.
neo0.

Night time scene

Post by neo0. » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:54 pm

I was trying to create something with an evening feel. First I tried adjusting the sun and sky in light layers.. It didn't do anything.. After that I tried adjusting the time of day, but it doesn't make any difference.. it still looks like midday. :?

psor
1st Place Winner

Re: Night time scene

Post by psor » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:53 pm

Knock knock neo ... ;o))

If I understand you right, you want your sky red-ish and this special cozy feeling.
Take a look at the turbidity parameter and lower your sun angle then you'll be set.

I hope it will help ya out.

edit: Another old link I was digging out.

SoDa:: Services for Professionals in Solar Energy and Radiation - Let's get some values for your location

edit: Baahh, ... me being stupid. You're using SketchUp and you probably have no other
option to position the sun then to use some kinda time setting?! Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?! ;)

take care
psor
"The sleeper must awaken"

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:59 pm

neo0

I usually obtain my evening scenes by playing with sun and sky on separate layers, but this option is only available in the commercial version I think..
Which version do you currently use?
And could you post small tests to give us an idea? Thanks!

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:40 pm

My apologies for the lack of examples. :)

The first one here was done with turbidity set to 6 (the max is 7.5) and with the time of day set to 5 AM.. I wold have expected it to be pretty dark but yet the sun seems really bright.

After that, I set the time of day to 11 PM and maxed out the turbidity. The sky was no longer a bright yellow. Instead it was white.. But still.. Isn't it dark in most places at 11 PM?

I tried setting the sun to layer 2 and the sky to layer 3 (the screenshot with the indigo ui) and turned both down to almost null, and yet the brightness didn't seem to change at all

I don't know.. I do have another light source in the scene. The leters in the center are phone emitters, but their total power is only something like .1..
Attachments
she painted fire across the sky.jpg
she painted fire across the sky.jpg (425.34 KiB) Viewed 5022 times
waterdd.jpg
waterdd.jpg (463.95 KiB) Viewed 5016 times

kwistenbiebel

Post by kwistenbiebel » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:07 pm

Hi Neo,

The solution is simple. Make a big ground plane where the building sits on.
Since Indigo doesn't really has a 'physical night sky', setting night hours will just put the sun under (or on) the horizon. Because you have no ground plane, the sun is actually hitting the interior....

pixie
Indigo 100
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by pixie » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:08 pm

neo0. wrote:I was trying to create something with an evening feel. First I tried adjusting the sun and sky in light layers.. It didn't do anything.. After that I tried adjusting the time of day, but it doesn't make any difference.. it still looks like midday. :?
Why do you want a sun if you want it to be night?

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:51 am

neo,

Make sure you are using Camera tonemapping especially if you are trying to achieve a night scene.

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:19 am

kwistenbiebel wrote:Hi Neo,

The solution is simple. Make a big ground plane where the building sits on.
Since Indigo doesn't really has a 'physical night sky', setting night hours will just put the sun under (or on) the horizon. Because you have no ground plane, the sun is actually hitting the interior....
Hmm... I'll try that. This would be something interesting to add though.. Realistic movement of the sun and maybe realistic sun sets..

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:34 pm

Well, thanks to the suggestions, I think im up and running :)
Attachments
as i wander.jpg
as i wander.jpg (117.97 KiB) Viewed 4889 times

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:11 pm

Neo0, be careful because if you set a late evening time in SU, indigo sky will behave atipycally, producing some non-physical mostly violet-shaded shade. I tell you because I see a violet light ouside your window..

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:18 am

Yeah, noticed that too.. Is it just because indigo can't simulate physically accurate times of day beyond the standard night time and day time?

pixie
Indigo 100
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by pixie » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:59 am

neo0. wrote:Yeah, noticed that too.. Is it just because indigo can't simulate physically accurate times of day beyond the standard night time and day time?
It indeed simulate correctly the times of the day , emphasis on day. At night there is no light from the sun therefore it still correctly simulate it, if you are able not to use the sun sky, that us.

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:06 pm

Evening is a time of day too :) I've seen a ton of great night renders, but nothing that was really in between day and night time.. During the evening, there is only partial light from the sun.

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:58 pm

With the commercial version of Indigo, I usually take my nighttime shots by turning off sun's layer and setting the value for the sky gain to a very low value like 0.2 or something around that. That way the sky still remains "affected" by the original sun position (so I have a shade of blue which is lighter where the sun should be) and I can simulate there is some sort of out-of-the-scene moon.

This workflow is impossible with the free version sadly...

Jeff

Post by Jeff » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:56 pm

I am not sure if this is of any help, but when the sun is placed within an image with tonemapping set to Reinhard (auto-exposure), the scene would look like a moon lit evening when rendered.
Attachments
welding glas.png
welding glas.png (420.26 KiB) Viewed 4765 times
d MOUNTAIN 6.png
d MOUNTAIN 6.png (358.78 KiB) Viewed 4766 times

31 posts