Difference in the archives xml and .blend , because?

Get feedback from others on your works in progress
4 posts • Page 1 of 1
jansan

Difference in the archives xml and .blend , because?

Post by jansan » Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:50 am

Light-bulb of low consumption, time to render 4 hour 30 min. Xml is of 16,5 mhz, because? If it has so few elements, and. Single Blend has 611 khz?

I want help me to improve the image, that they suggest to me?

neepneep
Indigo 100

Re: Difference in the archives xml and .blend , because?

Post by neepneep » Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:44 am

jansan wrote:Light-bulb of low consumption, time to render 4 hour 30 min. Xml is of 16,5 mhz, because? If it has so few elements, and. Single Blend has 611 khz?
I want help me to improve the image, that they suggest to me?
Hi Jansan,

I'm assuming you mean MB instead of mhz and KB instead of khz... :D

The blend file is a lot smaller because it uses procedural methods to save the data of your mesh - eg. the blend file will describe a sphere object as simply a "sphere" and blender understands that. Meanwhile the XML is a complete description of every single vertice in your object, eg. a sphere would be described as a couple tens/hundreds/thousands of points all connected to each other. This is why the file size is so different between the two formats.

It is quite normal for the XML files to be large, but you can trim it down by exporting less complicated meshes from Blender. I'm assuming you are using the sub-surf modifyer on your lightbulb, a good setting to use is around 1 or 2...anything higher is not really noticeable and would make the XML file MUCH bigger.

As for the image, it's looking good so far but you should try find a good environment map for lighting and that will make it look a lot more realistic.

jansan

Post by jansan » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:56 am

Hi neepneep sorry is lapsus, you are right ,
you say enviroment map, can be a HDRI or simple jpg?

Thanks

jansan

neepneep
Indigo 100

Post by neepneep » Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:23 am

Simple JPG's aren't supported for environment maps, so you should stick with the .EXR format for your HDRI's. :)

4 posts • Page 1 of 1