Chronograph Watch

Show off your final renders
seanser

Chronograph Watch

Post by seanser » Sun May 17, 2009 2:46 am

This is my own 'design' of this style of watch, lit using IES emitters, thanks for looking.
Attachments
watchpocket.jpg
watchpocket.jpg (237.6 KiB) Viewed 19603 times
wristwatchmain.jpg
wristwatchmain.jpg (240.96 KiB) Viewed 8384 times

Doug Armand
Indigo 100

Re: Chronograph Watch

Post by Doug Armand » Mon May 18, 2009 1:44 am

Nice Modelling. I pretty much like it except for:

#Contrast - it lacks it. The image has no real blacks on the face. Also the diamonds should be 'cleaner'.

#Love the chain - but the chain though it is a bit 'stiff' in places.

#There is a wierd square line pattern reflected in the watch face - your environment map?

#The image seems to suffer from some aliasing.

Also finally I'm sure I've seen this posted somewhere else? :wink:

And please don't take the criticisms above to seriously - I think the work is pretty great overall and all of the above is just my opinion
Doug

Doug Armand

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Mon May 18, 2009 9:36 pm

I don't agree with you on contrast, Doug: some portions of the wristle watch have down to 2% brightness, I would blame your TFT display and its calibration, if any :P Bear also in mind that the materials are all reflective, in a bright environment.

I agree though that the chain might look stiffer than it could be, and the bump map/UV-ing for the pocket watch seems to have been a troublesome matter (but not "the image" per se).

Great shots, seanser !
obsolete asset

Doug Armand
Indigo 100

Post by Doug Armand » Mon May 18, 2009 9:46 pm

CTZn wrote:I don't agree with you on contrast, Doug: some portions of the wristle watch have down to 2% brightness, I would blame your TFT display and its calibration, if any :P Bear also in mind that the materials are all reflective, in a bright environment.

I agree though that the chain might look stiffer than it could be, and the bump map/UV-ing for the pocket watch seems to have been a troublesome matter (but not "the image" per se).

Great shots, seanser !
I was referring to contrast in the face of the watch itself - looks a bit light to me. The rest of the image the contrast is fine - hence why i mentioned in my post contrats on the face :wink:
Doug

Doug Armand

seanser

Post by seanser » Tue May 19, 2009 9:06 am

Thanks for the feed back guys. I take on board everything you say Doug, personally I don't have an issue with contrast (from my monitor)in these images, I see myself the issue of stiffness in the chain (made with blender dupliframes), with a bit more care it could and should have been better made.

Render times for whatever reason seemed very long to me on this little project, nearly 40 hours for the wristwatch render. I wanted my PC back so the diamonds didn't get a chance to sparkle.

The cube like pattern you see in the reflection is a plane with a concrete texture. I thought that it might give just another little dimension to the simplicity of the studio renders, I'm not fussed when I see a reflection of the Uffizi or some other outdoor scene in a studio render. I do take your point here again, I don't think it worked as well as I had intended. All said, on the whole i'm quite happy with my first try at designing and rendering a 'real world' object.

Doug Armand
Indigo 100

Post by Doug Armand » Tue May 19, 2009 1:42 pm

seanser wrote:on the whole i'm quite happy with my first try at designing and rendering a 'real world' object.
And so you should be - it's a very good render
Doug

Doug Armand

saponification

Post by saponification » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:43 am

Hey, Doug Armand, why don't you stop tampering with other peoples' stuff? Do you have some kind of set process whereby, depending how jealous you are of other peoples' art work, in direct correlation to how poorly it reflects your own, you choose the amount of comments to make such as - "have I not seen this somewhere before"? Of course you did! Anything impressive obviously came straight from you!!
That's quite a picture you have up of yourself!!!!

Godzilla
Indigo 100

Post by Godzilla » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:51 pm

saponification wrote:Hey, Doug Armand, why don't you stop tampering with other peoples' stuff?
Do you have some kind of set process whereby, depending how jealous you are of other peoples' art work,
in direct correlation to how poorly it reflects your own, you choose the amount of comments to make such as -
"have I not seen this somewhere before"? Of course you did! Anything impressive obviously came straight from you!!
That's quite a picture you have up of yourself!!!!
Lol.

He was providing useful critique, not an unusual thing around here. You obviously come from a forum where there is no such thing (or are you just new to the internet entirely?), so please don't post again until you are familiar with the concept.

'Tampering'? how is giving suggestions for things to improve upon 'tampering'? Are you unfamiliar with the definition?

Please, just don't post until you grow up, or at least mature another 5-10 years.
samlavoie.xyz

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:17 pm

Hi saponification,

I'm the reference around here when it comes to tamper with other's work while giving not any guarantee back, so I have to take your blame on me.

Your post, being a personal attack, doesn't belong to the Indigo forum in my opinion. It seems as much arbitrary as your own registration here, I'm sorry to say.

There is no reason why admins would not sanction further attempts from you to pursue on that flaming. I'm taking personally that unlucky event as over and finished and am encouraging users here to do so.

Be not surprised.
obsolete asset

Doug Armand
Indigo 100

Post by Doug Armand » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:12 pm

Thanks for the support guys.

Not sure where saponification's anger is coming from as I don't think I've ever said anything to them personally and I thought my comments for seanser's image was constructive :(

Ah well you can't please everyone eh? :D
Doug

Doug Armand

pixie
Indigo 100
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by pixie » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:57 pm

I hope you don't mind, just a bit of post processing to add a bit more of contrast
Attachments
watchpocket.jpg
watchpocket.jpg (225.32 KiB) Viewed 6246 times
wristwatchmain.jpg
wristwatchmain.jpg (64.75 KiB) Viewed 6248 times

seanser

Post by seanser » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:04 am

I have no problems at all with people giving crits, indeed I welcome the feedback. When Doug said he seen the renders somewhere else I presumed he just meant on blender artists or the cg society I certainly don't believe he meant anything at all untoward by it. Pixie, with regard to the extra contrasting in PS? it seems just a little to much to me, especially on the strap.

Also I took it was nice to get the heads up for these renders on blender nation a while back, thanks for that Ben!

pixie
Indigo 100
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by pixie » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:05 am

seanser wrote:I have no problems at all with people giving crits, indeed I welcome the feedback. When Doug said he seen the renders somewhere else I presumed he just meant on blender artists or the cg society I certainly don't believe he meant anything at all untoward by it. Pixie, with regard to the extra contrasting in PS? it seems just a little to much to me, especially on the strap.

Also I took it was nice to get the heads up for these renders on blender nation a while back, thanks for that Ben!
I'm seeing this on another computer, and it looks way dark indeed.

Note to self, need to calibrate the monitor.

seanser

Post by seanser » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:13 am

Actually that's something that I worry about myself, I sometimes wonder if my monitor is too much the other way :? I find the whole area of calibration a bit of a pain.

Doug Armand
Indigo 100

Post by Doug Armand » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:17 am

seanser wrote:When Doug said he seen the renders somewhere else I presumed he just meant on blender artists or the cg society
That was exactly what I was referring to
Doug

Doug Armand

18 posts