Who else here is excited for Blender 2.5?

Discuss stuff not about Indigo.
204 posts
Borgleader

Re: Who else here is excited for Blender 2.5?

Post by Borgleader » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:01 am

To be honest I have to agree with handsom, now that I got thee hand of the UI i work sooo much faster with it. The shortcuts help a ton too.
benn hired a mercenary to kill my sig...

alex22

Post by alex22 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:36 pm

I recommend you to read this:
http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm
It basically says the same as Roosendall, but explains it a bit more.

Borgleader

Post by Borgleader » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:32 pm

http://www.blendernation.com/2009/04/21 ... code-2009/

Google's Summer of Code once again helping Blender's development this year :) Hoorah!

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:13 pm

alex22 wrote:I recommend you to read this:
http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm
It basically says the same as Roosendall, but explains it a bit more.
That is exactly where so many modelling programs go wrong. The UIs seem like they were designed by coders for coders.

That is also exactly why I will never use linux (aside from the fact that I can't play games on it.) Doing routine things like syncing your ipod is ridiculously complicated. More complicated for the sake of it = useless. Linux users often pretend like they are better than windows users because they wrestled with an OS that handles like an encyclopedia, but in reality, they've just wasted hours of their time.

I mean, just look at how much work you have to do to just update your video drivers

Code: Select all

NVIDIA Linux drivers may be downloaded at http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html.

The drivers cannot be installed within an X Window System session, so exit out of KDE/GNOME or your preferred window manager before installing the drivers.

To install the drivers, execute the self-extracting package as the root user. Example:
# sh ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7664-pkg1.run

After installing the drivers, modify /etc/X11/xorg.conf (Fedora Core 2 and later users) or /etc/X11/XF86Config (Red Hat Linux and Fedora Core 1 users) using the changes detailed in /usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/README:

If you already have an XF86Config file working with a different driver
(such as the 'nv' or 'vesa' driver), then all you need to do is find
the relevant Device section and replace the line:

Driver "nv"
    (or Driver "vesa")

with

Driver "nvidia"

In the Module section, make sure you have:

Load   "glx"

You should also remove the following lines:

Load  "dri"
        Load  "GLcore"

To see if you are running the latest NVIDIA driver, run the following command as root:
nvidia-installer --latest

To update your NVIDIA driver to the latest version, run the following command as root (an X server must not be running):
nvidia-installer --update
Ridiculous.

remus
Indigo 100

Post by remus » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:09 pm

You cant blame the linux community for a lack of compatability with ipods. If apple dont want to make ipods easily compatible with linux machines it is always going to be difficult to sync your ipod on a linux machine.

Its also worth noting that linux generally does a lot of stuff better than windows/mac. Take installing a program for instance. Linux: go to the installer, search a repository for the piece of software you want, press install and its done. And you can guaranty it is safe and will work. The same can not be said for windows.

Stromberg

Post by Stromberg » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:13 pm

There is no need to agrue about diffrent os systems, cause they each have there advantages.. and at the end of the day you will still use the one you like the best.

eman7613

Post by eman7613 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:14 am

remus wrote:You cant blame the linux community for a lack of compatability with ipods. If apple dont want to make ipods easily compatible with linux machines it is always going to be difficult to sync your ipod on a linux machine.

Its also worth noting that linux generally does a lot of stuff better than windows/mac. Take installing a program for instance. Linux: go to the installer, search a repository for the piece of software you want, press install and its done. And you can guaranty it is safe and will work. The same can not be said for windows.
except when aptitude barfs on one of your packages and mucks it all up :cry:

but general i do love the repos!
Yes i know, my spelling sucks

handsomedave

Post by handsomedave » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:19 am

If more of the big games and adobe software was ported to linux I would be an instant convert.

And don't try and tell me about wine.

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:50 am

remus wrote:You cant blame the linux community for a lack of compatability with ipods. If apple dont want to make ipods easily compatible with linux machines it is always going to be difficult to sync your ipod on a linux machine.

Is there any routine task that isn't mind numbingly complicated/tedious?

As for installing, it seems it's more complicated than you indicated
http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/linux- ... linux.html

You have to be logged in as something called a "root user" and use commands..

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:52 am

root is so to say the admin. That's a security thing but it's easy to change that. You can make your default user the root and never care about that...

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Fri May 08, 2009 7:16 pm

When it comes to 3d modelling packages, with most even if you have used the program before, you can eyeball the UI and get a rough idea of what buttons do what.. where as with blender, you take one look, and you immediately have to call your doctor. :? WIth silo, I immediately knew what tools I would use to manipulate my mesh, apply materials, chance the viewport options, etc (the viewport options were right in the viewport, as they should be for all apps.) :)

Also, the whole concept of modes vs panels is very confusing. Once you change the panels, you can never seem to make things go back to the way before.

Everything about the old blender UI didnt do anything for user friendliness...
Attachments
bleearrgghh 2.jpg
bleearrgghh 2.jpg (613.69 KiB) Viewed 4773 times

Borgleader

Post by Borgleader » Fri May 08, 2009 10:14 pm

You're being picky neo0. its really not that bad. If they made everything clear and unabreviated the UI would be jam packed with text and big buttons it would be horrible.

WytRaven
Indigo 100

Post by WytRaven » Fri May 08, 2009 11:57 pm

Odd you make a point of mentioning one of the things that is indicative of how good blender's UI is in your little rant. You picked on the axis manipulators...it's very clear, red is X green is Y and blue is Z as can always be seen in the lower right of your window.

Seriously ne0 try picking less and learning more and before you know it you'll be one of the ones praising the interface instead of dissing it.
:idea: "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds..." - Emerson 1841

Stinkie
Indigo 100

Post by Stinkie » Sat May 09, 2009 12:23 am

I've been wanting to give Blender a try for a while. Looks really competent - certainly for a free app! However, I think I'm going to wait until I grow up. Might be the best approach for *some* others as well. :lol: Seriously, though, I'm gonna give it a go in a couple of years.

Silo's not bad, and indeed it's intuitive, but it is far too unstable. On top of that, development seems to have stalled. Nevercenter's virtually stopped communicating with it's user base - much to the dismay of quite a few Silo users.

2kemon

Post by 2kemon » Sat May 09, 2009 5:59 am

I've decided that I'll try and learn blender, when 2.5 is released.
Modo is the 3d software that gets me most "excited", but if I spend the necessary time learning blender, I can spend the money on beer and cheetos :D

204 posts