What going to happen to us?

General questions about Indigo, the scene format, rendering etc...
FakeShamus

Re: What going to happen to us?

Post by FakeShamus » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:58 pm

Stinkie wrote:
benn wrote:As for people who can't afford the full price - I'd like to do something like a monthly fee to use Indigo that eventually adds up to the full price, or a button that creates a render at full resolution.
That's pretty cool.
I like these ideas too - monthly payments could make the price more manageable for some poeple while keeping them here and involved.

delic

Post by delic » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:27 am

I'll wait for the official annoucement, but I'm very interested.

For those who want unbiased rendering for free there is luxrender.

For the price :

https://www.nextlimit.com/newtpv/#selectItem

I think that Indigo is better than maxwell, regarding to the workflow with blender.

Have you ever worked with max and maxwell ? For me it's total nightmare ...

But with maxwell you still have to own a commercial 3d app license, which makes the price much higher all in all.

I just hope that blender exporter will still be developped as commercial apps exporters.

And that could make indigo a real good and reasonable pricing renderer, imho.

Edit :

But I should also admit thatI liked the way it is now, you only pay for rendering on several nodes, or on RANCH.

Using Indigo for professionnal work is not possible when rendering on single computer at home, perhaps for one or two prints it's still decent, but you need a farm, and thats already commercial, if I understood well the actual license ...

carbon

Post by carbon » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:51 am

delic wrote:But with maxwell you still have to own a commercial 3d app license, which makes the price much higher all in all.
actually you don't have to, their studio is capable to import models, transform and assign material.. so pipeline blender/blendigo/indigo would be nearly the same as blender/maxwell studio/maxwell render
http://www.maxwellrender.com/features.html

maybe you remember:
http://www.blendernation.com/2007/03/01 ... -tutorial/

now it is time to look around and compare..

c.

Stinkie
Indigo 100

Post by Stinkie » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:32 am

carbon wrote:
delic wrote:But with maxwell you still have to own a commercial 3d app license, which makes the price much higher all in all.
actually you don't have to, their studio is capable to import models, transform and assign material.. so pipeline blender/blendigo/indigo would be nearly the same as blender/maxwell studio/maxwell render

maybe you remember:

c.
Dunno, but something tells me you haven't used the Studio much so far. Tell you what, get the demo, and use the app intensively for a week or so. Keep some Valium handy. :twisted:

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:45 am

I actually don't like having a separate application between your 3D app and the render engine!
Even Maxwell have for example a C4D export Plugin, that exports directly from C4D to the renderer!

Don't think about kicking the Export Devs out of the game and code such a middleware yourself Glare :evil: :evil: :evil:

Anyway... how is the status about the Exporter guys... haven't heard anybody of them saying anything about this topic and their future relation with glare... I hope there will be some more info about this on Friday :!:
polygonmanufaktur.de

carbon

Post by carbon » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:58 am

just teasing Glare.. haven't heard anything what going to be with exporters and their developers..
btw, the price is not so high now, and still, maxwell is much more known, even for clients :wink:
delic wrote:Dunno, but something tells me you haven't used the Studio much so far. Tell you what, get the demo, and use the app intensively for a week or so. Keep some Valium handy.
sure i will

Stinkie
Indigo 100

Post by Stinkie » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:00 am

Enjoy. :twisted:

benn

Post by benn » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:09 am

ZomB we're waiting for the exporter writers to get back to us - we've been working on an agreement with them to be paid for their work and so we can help them with their code.

alex22

Post by alex22 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:06 am

Since there is no "demo" exporter, you could use the ranche to render the final images. The free version of indigo could be enough to do testscenes.

benn

Post by benn » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:09 am

Alex22 - exactly, and there may be a button to upload to ranch from inside the "demo" gui.

carbon

Post by carbon » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:20 am

Glare Technologies and Ranch Computing consolidation? :P

benn

Post by benn » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:27 am

no

delic

Post by delic » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:13 pm

carbon wrote: actually you don't have to, their studio is capable to import models, transform and assign material.. so pipeline blender/blendigo/indigo would be nearly the same as blender/maxwell studio/maxwell render

maybe you remember:

c.
never tried the studio, but within Max, which I owned a license, it's really slow, and hard to setup, preview, for my own experience.

And for the blender/maxwell studio/maxwell pipeline, I dont know how you would manage working on huge meshes, complex scenes. Imagine you have to change the light setup over a mesh modified scene ... Endless I think.

And yes I can remember this incredible BA thread. :wink:

The workflow is 99% of the final result you can get I think, so the features are not that important imho. I need to be flexible, quick, and know exactly how far I can go.

So blender/blendigo/indigo is really perfect for me, no max ball and chain ...

delic

Post by delic » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:30 pm

carbon wrote:Glare Technologies and Ranch Computing consolidation? :P
benn wrote:no
I think if RANCH does not support indigo commercial, I wont buy indigo, if there is no x64 farm alternative.

Blender/indigo/ranch is what makes it useable for professional work, or else it's useless for me ...

carbon

Post by carbon » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:38 pm

delic wrote:And for the blender/maxwell studio/maxwell pipeline, I dont know how you would manage working on huge meshes, complex scenes. Imagine you have to change the light setup over a mesh modified scene ... Endless I think.
well, it is a bit off topic, but it seems to me pretty straightforward.. modeling done in blender, export finished objects as wavefront with separated objects preserved, i have found somewhere tut for it.. and the rest done inside studio eg material creating/assigning, camera composition and lighting, even object position/rotation/scale fine tuning.. don't know.. have to test it.. BUT, you confirm what i mentioned before: great render engine is nothing without great exporter.
c.

154 posts