What going to happen to us?

General questions about Indigo, the scene format, rendering etc...
154 posts
Jambert
Indigo 100

Re: What going to happen to us?

Post by Jambert » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:05 pm

What about network rendering, does it mean one licence per node?

SATtva_
1st Place Winner

Post by SATtva_ » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:27 pm

I think it's too early to judge anything. I'm looking forward for an actual license agreement. Until then I'm migrating to Lux.

Stromberg

Post by Stromberg » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:29 am

SATtva_ wrote:I think it's too early to judge anything. I'm looking forward for an actual license agreement. Until then I'm migrating to Lux.
Dont you use cinema4D from what i remember?
And atm the lux to c4d plugin, realy is not useable :P

SATtva_
1st Place Winner

Post by SATtva_ » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:44 am

I'm a Blender user.

Stromberg

Post by Stromberg » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:55 am

I have a weak memory of seeing you at the vrayforc4d forum, where you had some tutorials and such.

SATtva_
1st Place Winner

Post by SATtva_ » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:36 am

That was somebody else for sure. I've never used vray nor any other commercial 3d software.

AzureSky

Post by AzureSky » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:03 am

I have been reading the comments on this thread and I'll add my 2 cents:

To those acting like deer caught in the headlights and to those who are throwing only criticism at the idea of Indigo going commercial: Who are any of you to judge Nick on his business decisions? ('Customers', you say? Well, first become one before you jump up & down and complain about the product or the company.) I am sure one can say "things could have been handled better", etc - but it is really easy to be an armchair critic, isn't it? If you feel so strongly that things could be "done better" then why not offer your services to Glare Tech as planning/PR manager? :wink:

Either you think Indigo is a good program worth supporting or you don't. Which is it? Everything else is really just a distraction.

I think Indigo is a great program - very worthy of supporting in any way I can. Even though I can't currently afford to buy a copy of the commercial version - when I am in a position to, then I will.

PureSpider

Post by PureSpider » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:06 am

AzureSky wrote:I think Indigo is a great program - very worthy of supporting in any way I can. Even though I can't currently afford to buy a copy of the commercial version - when I am in a position to, then I will.
+1!

Akhenathon

Post by Akhenathon » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:52 am

I'm a Luxrender user today, but I learned a lot with Indigo, specially on topics like absorption spectra and dispersion. I cannot afford commercial software at the moment, but I think it will be inevitable to go back to it someday.

I think you should invest more time and resources on support and ease of use, that's what commercial users look for.

Wish a good luck for you, guys. :D

Frt

Post by Frt » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:10 am

AzureSky wrote:I have been reading the comments on this thread and I'll add my 2 cents:

To those acting like deer caught in the headlights and to those who are throwing only criticism at the idea of Indigo going commercial: Who are any of you to judge Nick on his business decisions?

Nicely said. Nick makes something perfect. Why not to support? Geez, it's not 3000 Euros. Not such an unaffordable price. I didn't use the commercial renderers before, but in this case i will for sure. I guess it doesn't matter whether it is commercial or not. You like it - you help the developer, you like it a little - you use the free version, you do not like it - you don't use it. Just that simple. Guys, who made the exporters.. They didn't get paid for their work (AFAIK). But they are able to help this way. Why not to pay money when there is no other option (ability, knowledge, time) to help?

FakeShamus

Post by FakeShamus » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:30 am

well, I wouldn't say perfect, but it is damn good software. I have no problem with these guys taking indigo commercial, I just think the price is too high. for a lot of the users in this community it might as well be $3000 euros. if it was offered at a more community-friendly intro price I think probably a lot more of the current users could buy it and stick around.

Frt

Post by Frt » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:39 am

FakeShamus wrote:well, I wouldn't say perfect, but it is damn good software. I have no problem with these guys taking indigo commercial, I just think the price is too high. for a lot of the users in this community it might as well be $3000 euros. if it was offered at a more community-friendly intro price I think probably a lot more of the current users could buy it and stick around.
Damn perfect software? :D

Yeah, I know what you mean. But when you are buying shoes or paying rent, it's just the same for everyone. For some reason I am sure there will be a price for "inside the community" guys. Маybe Nick or Benn just didn't tell that yet. Just the panic appeared very early :) Maybe Nick and Benn just don't know how to do it right. And trying to make it soft.

However, I guess everything is going to be ok. (Positive thinking helps in any case) :mrgreen:

TomServo

Post by TomServo » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:24 am

I have been an on-again off-again user of indigo for some time now and am definitely sad to see it commercialize as I was hoping for just the opposite, the eventual opening of it's source. Having said that, I do not believe anything about the process has been unforeseen, unethical (pending that exporter business which I hope/believe will end with all parties satisfied), or misleading.

Closed-source but free projects almost always come to a fork in the road once they reach a certain popularity. The community expectations of new features in an equivalent time frame for release cycles puts incredible strain on the developers (which is usually a tiny group). They have two choices. Open-source it or commercialize it. While I am a huge proponent for the former that doesn't mean commercializing it is wrong.

If there are any non-developers upset with these turn of events it's most certainly because they were not consulted before the final decision was made. And while I personally think it would have made things easier (even if the final decision was made, an attempt to look like it was still considering other options would have made things go much smoother, in my OPINION) we, the community, aren't entitled to that. It's not ours. It never was. All we had was the Indigo devs willingness to hear us out and for the most part they did an excellent job.

I thank them for all the work they've done thus far and wish them the best of luck in the future. Because I am definitely a hobbyist when it comes to indigo, I will not be purchasing any new versions, and as I dislike watermarks that are not my own, I will continue to use the current version of indigo.

I hope Indigo becomes a huge success so that I can say "Heh heh. Yep, I was using Indigo before they made it big time". Good luck guys!

alex22

Post by alex22 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:16 am

Indigo could start with a low price and raise it after two months or so. That way the community could get it for a lower price at the beginning. At least 3d Brush did it that way. Afaik it was once 79$ for the full version.
The reason companies buy 3dmax or cinema or maya are the support, not the price. A big company can handle the support quite well alone. But Ono will need the help of the community to anwser questions of noobies. Thats why he does need the community.

Stinkie
Indigo 100

Post by Stinkie » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:56 am

alex22 wrote:Indigo could start with a low price and raise it after two months or so.
That's precisely what they're gonna do.

154 posts