What going to happen to us?

General questions about Indigo, the scene format, rendering etc...
benn

Re: What going to happen to us?

Post by benn » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:40 am

Hey guys, sorry for the late reply - I need to follow the forums more carefully (although having to move house this week has been a total distraction!).

Yup - that's our companies page:

http://coys.co.nz/company/?no=2108548 :)

Indigo is going commercial. It's going to be a good thing though - well, as far as I can see. There will always be a free version of Indigo - it's going have a maximum resolution of about 0.7 megapixel, and a watermark in the bottom right saying that it's rendered with indigo and for non-commercial purposes (in little writing).

So you don't have to abandon indigo if you don't want to.

The plus side to Indigo going commercial is that everyone, free users and commercial users - will benefit from:

* Better installers
* Better plugins
* Better documentation
* More feaures
* Faster Indigo - we have some cool tricks up our sleeves
* More exposure for Indigo, so that your renders become seen by more people

Indigo is great, and will stay available for everyone to use - we love the community and aren't going to abandon you guys.

I'll write up a proper post later today to explain more about what's going to happen.

Discuss? :)

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:50 am

benn wrote: * Better plugins
are there any atm???
polygonmanufaktur.de

benn

Post by benn » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:52 am

Haha sorry - I call exporters and plugins the same thing. I should probably sort that out. :)

Ben

Meelis

Post by Meelis » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:33 pm

If it's not a joke. :?:
What is the price?

Anyway old version will be usable after "going postal".

PureSpider

Post by PureSpider » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:34 pm

Meelis wrote:What is the price?
+1...
benn wrote:There will always be a free version of Indigo - it's going have a maximum resolution of about 0.7 megapixel, and a watermark in the bottom right saying that it's rendered with indigo and for non-commercial purposes (in little writing).
I personally won't show any renders with any other watermark than my own on deviantART... :roll:
Hoped to keep that thing away from my pictures, as (just) maximal resolution is fine to me... :|

Stromberg

Post by Stromberg » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:43 pm

Product watermarks on your renders, just feels unprofessional.
Thats atleast my opinion.

pixie
Indigo 100
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by pixie » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:48 pm

If for once wouldn't water mark for that kind of resolution, at 0.7MP it's difficult to be used commercially and it could rule a lot of users who do it only for the sake of hobbie/learning. IMO it would be better to add the info bar downside where the user can take out if wanted..

@Stromberg:
Stromberg wrote:Product watermarks on your renders, just feels unprofessional.
All the other demo versions renders them, it's not a matter of being unprofessional, it's just that Indigo is supposed to be different.

fused
Developer
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by fused » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:41 am

Stromberg wrote:Product watermarks on your renders, just feels unprofessional.
Sorry Stromberg, but as a professional you should actually have the money for a full license, so your point is pointless.

Stinkie
Indigo 100

Post by Stinkie » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:56 am

I agree.

Lots of uncalled for negativity in this thread. If anything, we should congratulate Nick and Ben on making the 'big push forward'. May they make lots of moolah!

I for one am looking forward to what they'll come up with. A mature Indigo might be a good alternative for Maxwell.

Stromberg

Post by Stromberg » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:50 am

Just to mention it fused, there is actualy professionals using blender, maybe cause they dont have the money for another software.
And maxwell and fryrender artnt realy cheap, so if indigo is "alot" cheaper then i want have a problem with it :)
And i dont consider myself a professional :wink:

beyer

Post by beyer » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:34 am

Congratulations to the developers. A lot of hard work has gone into Indigo and it shows, so I'm happy they might get something back for all that they have given us.

Having said that I'm sad to see these developments from my selfish perspective. If Indigo is priced with hobbyists in mind I may continue using it, but if I can't afford it I'll likely be moving over to Lux. Fingers crossed then that Indigo will fill a niche between free and the existing commercial offerings.

handsomedave

Post by handsomedave » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:55 am

We haven't heard much from Ono, I think that maybe Benn has him chained to a workstation and is exploiting him for his own benefit! :twisted:

xrok1

Post by xrok1 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:05 am

Ben you should change your profile picture, you look like a smug a@@hole in it, which i'm sure you're not!
Last edited by xrok1 on Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PureSpider

Post by PureSpider » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:38 am

xrok1 wrote:Ben you should change your profile picture, you look like a smug a@@hole in it, which i'm sure you're not!
:shock: I don't think so...

Big Fan

Post by Big Fan » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:56 am

well boys I'm still waiting for an explanation...I'm not really interested in hearing a rah rah session for all the great features in the Indigo Pro Edition in recompense thanks.

you seem to have reinterpreted the understanding you had with the community to suit your own purposes at this time and I am not sure that really washes well with some of us or more particularly the way you have gone about this is somewhat offensive

whilst I dont have an issue with Ono deriving income from the time he spent developing this program he was doing this through SDK licensing and people were moderately happy with that arrangement.
indeed I remember suggesting Ono charge a small amount from the beginning but that idea was put aside in favour of always being freely available and complete for non commercial purposes
what I am hearing now sounds now sounds a little dishonest or evasive.
either it was always the intention to do this and you have taken everyone for a ride or you think you can spin some convenient slick BS now and it is ok

since the goal posts have shifted and Indigo is no longer free but is fully commercial and offers a free nobbled demo version in place of the open access to 'test' versions we were so kind enough to beta test and provide exporters for
I would like to know what contractual deal you propose with exporter writers to provide Indigo with their defacto service to your company and to maintain them to professional stds

I would also like to see you publicise the commercial status of Indigo to the people who have images in your gallery so that they can either remove them or grant you the right to use them

the same goes for any contributions to your forum - I am not sure everyone will be content to have their 'close knit family' contributions acting as a defacto support resource for the company
Last edited by Big Fan on Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

154 posts