REQ: export meshes as external .obj's from blendigo

Announcements, requests and support regarding the Blender Indigo export script
1 post • Page 1 of 1
FakeShamus

REQ: export meshes as external .obj's from blendigo

Post by FakeShamus » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:36 am

I have been working with a lot of big, 2- to 3-million-poly meshes lately and have found that, while possible to export that amount of data from Blendigo in 64-bit Blender, the xml file produced for a mesh of that size is about 3 times the size of the same mesh exported as an obj (753 mb vs. 245 for the obj). in addition, Indigo eats up vastly more ram and time parsing the xml file. the mesh I was working with this morning maxed out my 4 GB of ram and was using 5 GB swap on top of that while it was parsing. it also ran for so long, I don't think it would ever have started rendering. by comparison, I exported the same mesh as an obj and it took roughly 8 seconds for indigo to parse and used only about 1 GB ram in the process.

so my request is, would it be possible to have the choice through Blendigo to export your scene's meshes as obj's or other external file types of the user's choosing (whatever is most efficient, I guess). as it is, you can use the obj exporter on the big things and do the rest normally, then go through and hand-edit the igs to reference the external files, but it is a bit tricky and would get tedious if you were working with more than a few meshes.

thanks in advance for your thoughts

1 post • Page 1 of 1