SkIndigo 1.1.16

Announcements, requests and support regarding SkIndigo - the Sketchup / Indigo exporter.
Whaat
Developer

SkIndigo 1.1.16

Post by Whaat » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:35 pm

#Version 1.1.16

#Changed: slightly improved the material types query (shows emitting materials)
#Changed: removed environment map rotation hack and added Indigo env map rotation
#Fixed: Simple UI emitter checkbox works again
#Changed: Material preview thumbnail shows SketchUp texture if no thumbnail is present
#Changed: filenames (not pathnames) are now listed in the External texture editor drop-down list
#Changed: toolbar icons
#Added: Position Map button to Texture Editor
#Changed: UV mapping workflow

Download Preview Scenes

For details on the new texturing/uv mapping workflow, download the SkIndigo Texturing Tutorial WIP
Attachments
SkIndigo_1_1_16.zip
(641.48 KiB) Downloaded 1478 times

kellpossible

Post by kellpossible » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:51 pm

wow thanks whaat!! Just wondering whether you were planning to have saving materials available for the next stable release of indigo/skindigo? Oh yeah and I guess this is your answer to those asking for the use of several sketchup materials on one indigo material for the purpose of texture mapping? This is one of the most perfect solutions to that problem I could think possible! I don't know what else to say!

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:18 pm

Saving materials has never been disabled. Loading materials will not be the next stable release, however you can link a saved material by creating a Linked IGM material (change the type to Linked IGM).

(Why does no one know about this????) :)

cpfresh

Post by cpfresh » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:02 pm

thanks for the release whaat! :)

kellpossible

Post by kellpossible » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:24 pm

oops loading, that's what i meant! hmm, wow! I never new about the linked igm, thanks whaat!

kellpossible

Post by kellpossible » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:56 pm

hey, just wondering, but is it possible to have more than 3 custom uv sets? (is the saving of the uv set only restricted to that particular entity? Because i find that 3 is definitely enough for anything I would ever want to do with one object, but I was wondering whether it is possible to have say 3 custom uv sets on one object and another 3 on another object with different materials applied) or is this impossible with skindigo at the moment?

crojack

Post by crojack » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:02 am

Thanks Whaat!

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:32 pm

Thank you a lot Whaat!
I just downloaded this latest release, and gave it a try just to get a little more used about the new workflow and stuff. I set up a really simple scene and the result after a night of calculation is attached.
There are two light layers (a simple emitter behind the corner and the three lights in front), no specular materials. The light material of the three tubes is assigned directly to the cylinders. The spp reached has something astonishing: 1750 in 8 hours or so. :shock: I don't know if it's because of the simplicity of the scene, but: :shock:
I mean, if that's not clear, that i expected the rendering process to be much slower than it turns out to be, using layers! I absolutely have to add something specular, now..
Btw, i noticed some kind of artifacts around the cylinders, some red spots that are not supposed to be. Perhaps it's a little bug or something. Sadly, I don't have the scene any more. The server just deleted it for it was on my desktop.. :?
So here it is. :D :D :D
Attachments
artifacts.jpg
These are the little red dots
artifacts.jpg (139.62 KiB) Viewed 10014 times
interior test.jpg
Here is the test! I tried to apply a little displacement to the carpet but i think it's too smooth to be visible. Gonna test on another scene asap
interior test.jpg (497.02 KiB) Viewed 10104 times

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:43 pm

Pibuz wrote:The spp reached has something astonishing: 1750 in 8 hours or so. :shock: I don't know if it's because of the simplicity of the scene, but: :shock:
I mean, if that's not clear, that i expected the rendering process to be much slower than it turns out to be, using layers! I absolutely have to add something specular, now..
Actually this doesn't seem to be very fast ^^
But for interiors it maybe fine...

Just a hint about Light Layers:

Indigo does use some weighting on how much samples each layer gets. This weighting is related to the LuminousFlux of the light Layer!
I don't know if this is simply in %, but if a layer has a much smaller luminousFlux than the other(s) you can see very nice in the GUI that it evolves slower then the other(s)

The Red dots seem to be evil :evil:
polygonmanufaktur.de

crojack

Post by crojack » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:09 am

everything seems to be working fine Whaat, except the dialog boxes are coming up at a smaller size than the window, causing scroll bars on the sides.

also, is there a possibility to add .exr as a material option? I know that Indigo has it, and I know that sketchup wouldn't let you add it in, but maybe it could be worked in similar to the Linked IGM way.

thanks-

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:22 am

crojack wrote:also, is there a possibility to add .exr as a material option? I know that Indigo has it, and I know that sketchup wouldn't let you add it in, but maybe it could be worked in similar to the Linked IGM way.

thanks-
What do you mean? Are you asking for the Indigo Background Material feature or are you asking if you can use and EXR file for an external texture. The latter should work but I haven't tested this.

crojack

Post by crojack » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:34 am

I tried it as an external material under diffuse and phong and I get this error.

I saved the material and opened it in a text editor and this is it-

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<scenedata>
			<material>
			<name>Color_C01</name>
		<phong>
				<texture>
					<uv_set>default</uv_set>
					<path>beijing.exr</path>
					<a>0.0</a>
					<b>1.0</b>
					<c>0.0</c>
					<exponent>2.2</exponent>
				</texture>
				<texture>
					<uv_set>default</uv_set>
					<path>beijing.exr</path>
					<a>0.0</a>
					<b>1</b>
					<c>0.0</c>
					<exponent>1.0</exponent>
				</texture>
			<diffuse_albedo>
				<texture>
					<texture_index>0</texture_index>
				</texture>
			</diffuse_albedo>
			<ior>1.52</ior>
			<exponent>
				<texture>
					<texture_index>1</texture_index>
				</texture>
			</exponent>
			<base_emission>
				<constant>
					<blackbody>
						<temperature>5000</temperature>
						<gain>1.0</gain>
					</blackbody>
				</constant>
			</base_emission>
		</phong>
 		</material>
</scenedata>

Hope this helps, I think this would be a great feature!
Attachments
gamma-error.jpg
gamma-error.jpg (11.18 KiB) Viewed 9891 times

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:04 am

so change the gamma to 1.0 and see what happens.... :)

cpfresh

Post by cpfresh » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:03 am

Everything seems to working great so far, whaat. Also, thanks for changing the default render settings! :)

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:45 am

Pibuz wrote:These are the little red dots
Let's call a cat a cat: I believe that fireflies are a natural consequence of using bidir, say often. I know two ways to reduce their impact if I may:

- Post-process diffraction will fail with fireflies. It is responsible for the colored dots. A single firefly, without post process, concerns a single pixel.

- MR_cubic as SPLAT filter (default settings) is likely to fail as well, outlining fireflies. MN_c is recommender as downsize filter.

Hence the third hint:

For production use super sampling along with the forementionned tips, then apply post_process diffraction in a resuming session.

edit: post process filter seems to be applied before reduction, wich makes sense quality wise but ehances fireflies and takes more time to compute. [REQ-non SKIndigo specific] I suggest to add an option to force post-proc filter after resizing.

Hope that helps !
obsolete asset

71 posts