Materials Request: Make them easy to share and apply.

Feature requests, bug reports and related discussion
8 posts • Page 1 of 1
zsouthboy

Materials Request: Make them easy to share and apply.

Post by zsouthboy » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:13 am

We can already separate materials in another XML file for editing, but I'd like to take it one step further.
My idea would also work great for the "Materials DB" that does/will exist online here.

Allow the inclusion of a separate XML file for each material in a scene.

Then, we modify the exporters for our various applications (Blender, for example) to do the same thing they already do with the .nk files: if you name a material something.xml, no material is exported, and instead Indigo looks for something.xml (which would be linked from the generated scene file) for that material.

This would keep everyone from going, "Hey, how did you get x material! I'd like to try it!" - simply upload the xml (and textures, if needed) :)

Judging from your latest work (diffuse/phong masks), materials are already in nodes, so this wouldn't be too hard to do.

Also, allowing at least a few (or infinite) OTHER materials to be called from a material XML would be useful, especially in regards to what I just said.

Thoughts? Criticisms?

I hate to use the "M" word again (Maxwell), but being able to download and share materials rocks!

oodmb

isnt it there already?

Post by oodmb » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:00 am

i think indigo can already do this, although i am not sure. i think in one of my scenes, the one with the glass dinosour likish things with metal balls, i had a link to a file with the glass and difuse materials, and a link to the file with the metal materials, although i dont quite remember if this is true. if this is true, its more of a matter of coding the scripts to export each material into a different file and import the links. however, i imagine having more links to different materials per file would cause indigo to load a scene slower.

however, i think it would be much more usefull to have the model to material links in the materials file for example, have each model(or material grouping) have a name, and have each material have what material group it links to inside of it. if find it quite annoying to have to search through a 800+ line file for the model i want to change the material grouping for. i suppose i could use the find function of the word processor, but its not as helpfull when you have one material linking to mulitple models or your materials as well as objects have vague names and such that you cant remember
a shiny monkey is a happy monkey

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:29 am

it can be done with a file "include", such as is already used.
it's just a case (ha, is if it's an easy job ;) ) of changing the way the exporter works.

atmmatt

Post by atmmatt » Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:30 am

I would also like to see a material db that is user supported.

Is it possible to have one large file containing many materials that you just call out when doing your render? (maybe this has already been answered in this topic I'm just dumb :lol: )

-Matt
"To be, or not to be" That is a question?

arneoog
Indigo 100

Post by arneoog » Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:36 am

Code: Select all

<include>
      <path>path_to_xml.xml</path>
</include>
I think it's like that :)
Anyway, you can make a file containing the materials and put the above code in the file insead of the materials. 8)

e.g.
scene.xml -> using materials in -> scene_mat.xml

EDIT: you will be able to upload a .zip file containing all the material stuff for each material,
and a xml file with the code, not only on the DB site :wink:

zsouthboy

Post by zsouthboy » Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:48 am

I know that you can include a "materials" xml now; that is not what I am suggesting.

Having to go in and manually add text to xml files to try out materials is a no-no. :)

arneoog
Indigo 100

Post by arneoog » Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:55 am

Okay, I'll make a flash based material editor with a pretty accurate material preview :)
Just give me some weeks :wink:
(Aslo with XML output)

Hehe :P

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:56 am

You mean a standalone, non application-dependent one ?

:o Okay ! :D

Take your time

8 posts • Page 1 of 1