Not even starting on a big scene

Feature requests, bug reports and related discussion
8 posts • Page 1 of 1
balder

Not even starting on a big scene

Post by balder » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:44 pm

I have a quite gigantic scene which i was able to render in yafray without problems. I tried exporting to indigo and got a massive 480mb xml...i guess there's not much i can do, anyway i want to be sure: is it normal that indigo crashes while parsing the file (and eats up all my 2Gb of ram)? Is that only a matter of getting more ram, or there can be tweaks or something i am missing (the strange thing is that yafray handles it with no problem at all)?
Thanks in advance for your help!

Here's a small preview of how the scene would look like (done in yafray as i said, there are lots of details in the production lines which cannot be seen this far):

Image[/img]

lego

Post by lego » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:50 pm

wow! :shock:
you may try splitting objects in smaller parts... this usually reduces loading time and maybe could help you with the crashing problem.
I usually split the objects in max 5k polys parts

zsouthboy

Post by zsouthboy » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:55 am

IMO Indigo in its current state can't handle something that large.

I start to get failures loading .xml files after about 200-300 megs, 2 gigs of RAM too.

IDK what Nick plans to do about it, if anything. Maxwell has an option to use your HDD as extra RAM (for very large scenes), but it was experimental, last I checked (multi-light didn't work with it).

jurasek

Post by jurasek » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:24 am

my 1gb ram can't handle 80-200mb indigo xmls...and time of loading is horrible, 1-2h on amd XP2500+. Indigo has really problem on my machine with 100.000 polys and above :(

btw. great image balder :wink:

greetz,
jur

Apollux3D

Post by Apollux3D » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:36 pm

This may not be what you are expecting to read, but here it goes..

You got to wise up!

Even if Indigo could handle such a scene, it would be very bad practice of your.

You said it yourself, there is modeled detail that plain cann´t be seen from this distance... so I got to ask, why is that level of detail even there?

You should replace those detailed objects with proxy ones, and only enable the high detailed ones for close ups, like any experienced renderer (person) would do.

Just my $.05

zsouthboy

Post by zsouthboy » Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:56 pm

In this case I agree, but complicated geometry in OTHER scenes (where you DO want that level of detail) ends up similar in size, and it fails there too.

In conclusion, allow me to slow it the hell down by my poor choices, but please prevent it from crashing outright.

(Hmm, sounds like some high level language descriptor, Java or something. Except Java just does the slow down thing. Oh, and the crashing thing, too. Hmm)

balder

Post by balder » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:23 pm

I need detail for several reasons (and you need the full story):

http://www.enriconencini.com/files/rajiv.avi

And the image i was testing will be rendered in yafray for an A1 poster, so things will be visible even from that angle :)
Testing indigo only seemed a good idea, as polycount is frequently a problem on renderers, and the scene was perfect...
Thanks for the help, now i understand i'll have to wait for indigo to get even better ;)

eman7613

Post by eman7613 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:04 am

a1, isnt that 30" by 20"? thats big!
Yes i know, my spelling sucks

8 posts • Page 1 of 1