Image borders darker than center

General questions about Indigo, the scene format, rendering etc...
7 posts • Page 1 of 1
ropel

Image borders darker than center

Post by ropel » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:45 am

I Just noticed that if I render a simple flat white surface illuminated by a sunlight, the image is darker at borders: the wider viewing angle, the bigger is the effect
(The effect is visible in every scene, but a white surface makes it more visible).
This is a real problem for me because i need to join six images with a 90° degree viewing angle (a cube) in a spherical proiection.

Can I avoid this effect without post processing the image and without changing the viewing angle (that for me is mandatory) ?

Thanks
Attachments
whitewall.PNG
whitewall.PNG (76.54 KiB) Viewed 3174 times

pixie
Indigo 100
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by pixie » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:50 am

This vignette effect is akin to reality and AFAIK can be naturally removed, otherwise it would appear in all photo. I think it has to do with aperture, can be wrong though

ropel

Post by ropel » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:04 am

I tried changing aperture: a smaller one isn't useful, a really big one reduces my depth of field and almost everything goes out of focus (i get a uniform blurred white image)
The only way I can imagine is to combine my white vignetted image together with the real one with GIMP, but it's hard to obtain a good result without loosing image quality...

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:06 am

No, from my experience that's correct pixie, or with a wide camera angle. In the following image, camera angle is above 120°:
Attachments
vignetting.jpg
vignetting.jpg (99.67 KiB) Viewed 3164 times

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:25 am

My answer was incomplete... vignetting in Indigo is not an option, although it's a physical effect it can indeed prevent stitching.

There is a tutorial in these forums (maybe it's a scene in a wip) showing how to create a latlong hdr environement output with a virtual chrome strobe, maybe you could do that and convert later to cubemap with a free app like hdrshop (if it can, I believe so) ?

Now, you can request either making vignetting an option, or adding an environment camera, wich by definition don't use vignetting... I guess the second is more popular ;)

zsouthboy

Post by zsouthboy » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:42 am

Vignetting is literally caused by less light making it to the "film" at oblique angles.

Render to .exr and open in Photoshop, for example, and it's quite easy to "correct" - and unlike real life, Indigo's vignetting is perfectly aligned.

ropel

Post by ropel » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:30 pm

Ok, Thanks to everybody.
I'll surely solve the problem searching for the virtual strobe or generating a white vignetted image and subtracting it from my real images.
Meanwhile I'll request an environment camera, endeed useful for making env_maps

7 posts • Page 1 of 1