MayaToIndigo_1.0.96_beta1

Announcements, requests and support regarding the MAYA exporter
CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:17 pm

Please send me the obj, my pleasure.

Maybe you could report the error too...

Phr0stByte

Post by Phr0stByte » Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:21 am

Sorted out all errors so that the render now starts (went in simple baby steps and deleted all mats). But when the render starts, geometry is not in the correct locations - please see posted examples.

Sorry for the poor lighting in the Indigo version - was just trying to get output. The actual model file was too big to post here (19MB)
Attachments
im1229784488.png
Indigo render
im1229784488.png (263.67 KiB) Viewed 4435 times
Desk_lamp_clay.jpg
Vray render
Desk_lamp_clay.jpg (9.91 KiB) Viewed 4437 times

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:50 am

Okay, for that I don't need the object anyway...

Are you using instances, or a hierarchy maybe ? Did you Freeze or Reset Transforms ?

These operations can mess MtI interpretation of objects placement, because it seems not to manage all relationships possibly existing between them in order to write the correct matrice for their models.

I need to know how the objects are related the ones to the others in your scene, and if you applied one of the transformation named above.

What would definitly help is a dummy scene (boxes, shperes) representing two similar objects in Maya, that would be messed up in Indigo. This issue is critical, but also can be avoided along with certain operations while editing the Maya scene. I'll do my best to allow those back !

Phr0stByte

Post by Phr0stByte » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:29 am

CTZn
There are three groupings to the lamp, based on swivel points where the lamp is jointed:

Group 1 = lamp head
Group 2 = lamp middle armature
Group 3 = lamp base

And then there is a whole lamp group, so there are four groups total. (Hope that makes sense to you).

Freeze transformations was used, as is the good practice of modeling in Maya. Do you have any other way of getting you the Maya file, as I think it might help tremendously. One a side note - Vray, mental ray, maya software renderer, and Luxrender all render out the objects correctly. Very strange.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:41 am

No that's not strange Phr0, I fear MtI is kind of trivial in that regard... As long as it doesn't imply advanced messing with matrices I'll look into fixing that next week.

Well you pretty did all what could cause the issue, no wonders XD

I changed phong export code, so nkData can now be used along with bump mapping (nkData will always override diffuse input, may it be a texture). Expect an update within 7 days.

edit: as for the scene, no worries I got your setup !

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:46 pm

Phr0stByte wrote:Very strange.
I don't find it that strange. Unfortunately, the "core" of MtI is the objExport plugin, which is nothing short of a dirty hack to illustrate Maya's API. It's full of bugs.

The other render engines you mentioned interface with Maya differently and read the geometry in their own ways - and correctly too.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:51 pm

I see what you mean... sadly I believe it's safe to say thatIGMesh will not be implemented by me in MtI... certainly not yet.

Phr0stByte

Post by Phr0stByte » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:51 pm

CTZn
dougal2
I guess my whole point is that something seems not to be right in the script. Maya and everything else sees the object as they are supposed to. Only MtI sees it wrong. I wish I had programming skills to help out, but unfortunately, all I can do is report the problem.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:55 pm

Reporting is of great help, I'll try to see in detail what Dougal2 is meaning, maybe the fact that MtI is using Obj induces some limitations, and some hacks might be used over there too in MtI ;)

Meanwhile, don't use Freeze Transforms with MtI scenes, I never run into those troubles.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:17 pm

Well you pretty did all what could cause the issue, no wonders XD
Scratch that, unlike with instances freezing transforms actually helps with groups and MtI. I don't see myself adressing that issue right now as I've hardly designed something in MtI, but also I could not reproduce the error (I did freeze transforms).

Maybe you can take a screen cap of the expanded Outliner for one full group (without shapes) ? I tried

Code: Select all

group1
|
|-group2
|
|-group3
|
|-group4
and

Code: Select all

group1
|
|-group2
|      |
|      -group3
|           |
|           -group4
with 2 objects in each group (group2: base: 2 spheres. group3: arms: 2 cylinders. group4: head: two spheres. Actually that may differ in the pics below). In the image following, the original model is at the right and the copy has the arm group parented to the small sphere right between the base and the arms; I didn't represent that scheme above, here's a screen cap of the outliner too.
Attachments
freeze.jpg
omg they've got blasters !
freeze.jpg (34.38 KiB) Viewed 4373 times
freeze_outliner.gif
massively frozen scene
freeze_outliner.gif (21.5 KiB) Viewed 4373 times

Hellstorm

Post by Hellstorm » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:32 pm

Yeah I also had that problem with my Rubik's Cube scene. Managed to fix it, but don't ask me how.
I'm not sure anymore, but I did a lot of things including, but not limited to: freeze transformation, ungroup, regroup...

But also try to export the models yourself as .obj and then re-import those obj-models. Maybe that might help.

Phr0stByte

Post by Phr0stByte » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:08 pm

Hellstorm
In a moment of brilliance, I did try exporting the scene to OBJ and the re-importing. It gave the same odd results.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:32 am

I think I'm going to need your scene somehow, you can replace the meshes by any other I care not. From what I've seen in the model export code, I'm pretty sure I can't do better right now than what it is (it's simple and functional, too simple maybe ?). Be sure to uncheck "Append" for the export after you have frozen transforms to update correct matrices.

Really I think this issue shouldn't happen if all groups have frozen transforms... I admit that the why of this issue is not clear in my mind right now, but I believe that can be avoided... If you can't get a good behaviour with that scene I'll need it, just replace the shapes with primitives.

Phr0stByte

Post by Phr0stByte » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:37 am

CTZn
I guess it is not so serious - the model is exported from MoI as n-gons, so that may be causing the strangeness. I can try re-importing the .fbx it created and see... Just no time, as I am busy with so many other things

Thanks for looking into it, though

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:56 am

MoI and ngons causing troubles I don't think so, but I just never trusted fbx, something personal I guess, wasn't important to say. Maybe there is something happening based on wether rotations were in global or local modes, and effectively the objExport plugin could be in cause for some cases that remain to identify...

35 posts