Who else here is excited for Blender 2.5?

Discuss stuff not about Indigo.
204 posts
neo0.

Who else here is excited for Blender 2.5?

Post by neo0. » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:10 am

Im one of those people who, about a year ago, discovered this really neat 3D app that seemed to pack everything you could ever want (liquidds, physics, etc.).. Tried it and promptly gave up because the UI was a mess.

Well, thats all going to change soon.
http://download.blender.org/documentati ... ers_ui.pdf

How many other 3D packages even have fluid simulation?

Borgleader

Re: Who else here is excited for Blender 2.5?

Post by Borgleader » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:30 am

neo0. wrote:Im one of those people who, about a year ago, discovered this really neat 3D app that seemed to pack everything you could ever want (liquidds, physics, etc.).. Tried it and promptly gave up because the UI was a mess.

The blender UI is not a mess, it actually feels quite nice, if you actually try to learn it for more than a few days. I stuck with it and im quite happy. and of course I'm excited about 2.5 bu thats not new.
benn hired a mercenary to kill my sig...

eman7613

Post by eman7613 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:35 am

Borgleader wrote:
neo0. wrote:Im one of those people who, about a year ago, discovered this really neat 3D app that seemed to pack everything you could ever want (liquidds, physics, etc.).. Tried it and promptly gave up because the UI was a mess.

The blender UI is not a mess, it actually feels quite nice, if you actually try to learn it for more than a few days. I stuck with it and im quite happy. and of course I'm excited about 2.5 bu thats not new.
i gave up on day 4 :P

but seriously, the blender UI has needed some loveing for a long time now.
Yes i know, my spelling sucks

Borgleader

Post by Borgleader » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:38 am

eman7613 wrote:
i gave up on day 4 :P

but seriously, the blender UI has needed some loveing for a long time now.
I'm not saying its perfect because it isnt, but I still like it. and its not like its that hard to learn. yeah it takes a while, but I mean c'mon the thing's free. I rather spend more time learning to use something thats free (like Blender, or Gimp) than cracking a well established software like 3DS, Maya, XSI...

But I guess that's just me.

PureSpider

Post by PureSpider » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:41 am

The new UI looks friggin similar to the one C4D ever had...
Looking good though :D

€dit: Just noticed the new UI looks very mac-like, which I really like!

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:55 am

Gave up at day 3, started again a year later and sticked to it :P

AFAIK, that UI doesn't have to be the final one. As I understood it, that's the authors design-ideas but it could aswell turn out entirely different.

fused
Developer
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by fused » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:31 am

Borgleader wrote:The blender UI is not a mess
it is - seriously. it takes a lot of getting used to. too much for my taste.

so...

im excited about blender 2.5!!! :D

WytRaven
Indigo 100

Post by WytRaven » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:39 am

As long as the keyboard shortcuts still work I don't really care what they do to the interface. Also must keep same general mouse interaction as there aint nothing wrong with it right now.
:idea: "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds..." - Emerson 1841

Borgleader

Post by Borgleader » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:43 am

WytRaven wrote:As long as the keyboard shortcuts still work I don't really care what they do to the interface. Also must keep same general mouse interaction as there aint nothing wrong with it right now.
+1

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:53 am

+1 :)
Though, besides making the hotkeys costumizable, it wasn't said that any of those two would be changed anyway ^^

doublez

Post by doublez » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:07 pm

Not really. I already know the current UI and don't want to have to learn a new one. Hopefully it's not changed to much. It's actually pretty easy once you learn it. Sure it's confusing at first, but I think any program with lots of features would be confusing at first.

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:43 pm

The pdf perfectly puts into words my issues with the UI. Heck, clicking a button in the button panel can cause a completely new set of buttons to appear.

When I tried to learn it, I found that the options menu is hidden, and you actually need to pulll it down. Come on. :) It could have been much more self explanatory than that.

That really epitomizes the problems underlying Blenders learning curve. They have way too much stuff to fit and they've taken bizarre approaches to getting it to fit. Thats the problem with the nonoverlapping UI concept. Popups, free up space by only presenting you with options, when they are called for. Heck, the bottom tool bar has a scroll bar... Alot of the buttons are labeled with amigious shorthand. Something like "trnsp" to stand for transparency.

Personally, I spent a week with Blender and I got nowhere. I learned Hexagon in an hour or something.

Although to be fair, Blenders UI came about when the very concept of a GUI was still in it's infancy.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:20 pm

Gave up after 2 hours I guess... From the link neo gave:
The design and layout of buttons and fields here is absolutely terrible - nothing less can describe it. First of all it is illogical. It is not at all communicated that the Corner Cut drop-down menu (Innervert is currently selected in the screenshot) applies only to Fractal and Subdivide, neither is it communicated that the Limit number field relates to Rem Doubles, nor is it clear that Threshold applies to none of the tools visible in this panel (It applies to the Select Similar command found elsewhere).

Apart from being illogical, it is also inconsistent: Some of the mesh editing tools are only found in this panel, others are found in the mesh editing menu in the 3d window, yet some of these are found both places, and some of them not. Some features accessible from the Mesh menu have settings for it in the Mesh panel.
I have said nothing !

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:38 pm

neo, did you actually READ it?
The section about non-modality.
They actually want to even REDUCE the popups, where they still appear! xD Don't post things like that without READING......

For anyone who is too lazy to read through it:
http://river-valley.tv/conferences/blen ... am_Reynish <- 3rd in the list. Though, AFTER that, The paper got updated again... (didn't notice a difference, though xD)

dmn
3rd Place Winner

Post by dmn » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:18 pm

eh...

204 posts