Maya To Indigo XML Converter v0.6 beta1 (0.6t6 & 0.6)

Announcements, requests and support regarding the MAYA exporter
arneoog
Indigo 100

Post by arneoog » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:02 am

Autodesk sucks! :evil: Alias ruled! 8)
But not smart enaugh to stay away from Autodesk... oh well...

Finished the example scene for maya and indigo :D
It works perfectly if you have downloaded the "updates" ;)
MayaCornellBox.rar

This will be included in the next release of Maya To Indigo also..

(maya 6.0 format) Hope it works!

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:53 am

Oohh no way ! Still the same error !
// Error: file: C:/Documents and Settings/Administrateur.ZNCT/Mes documents/maya/8.0/scripts/mtiGen.mel line 461: No object matches name: lightLinker1.incandescence //
Ok, before assuming this is Maya 8 related I am going through a fresh install, cause I've installed many scripts and some amongst them do modify the original ones, maybe you are using a list item number to recompose a string, that has been modified, dunno. Maybe there is a more general or secure way to get that string out (materialname.incadescence) ?

I'll do that within 8 hours...

BTW scene loaded fine, but as usual cpu activity goes to 0 when the progress window reaches the "Making Models..." part.
Autodesk sucks! Alias ruled!
That's my thought too ;)

cya !

bazuka

Post by bazuka » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:40 am

working fine in maya 7, ill try in maya 8 but...

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:58 am

ill try in maya 8 but...
I'll be more than happy if you were to tell it's working, Bazuka, I guess I'm worrying the devs for nothing :?

MattMR2 Sorry if I've been rude, nothing personnal as far as I'm concerned :)

PS: Bazuka, I'm waiting for your answer for further decision, thank you.

tripnfall

Post by tripnfall » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:07 pm

Here are a couple of comments on the new scripts.

- You guys rock, keep up the great work.
- Arneoog test file works great for me in Maya 7.
- I can also get my own scenes to work with Phong and Lambert and just reflections but no diffuse with Blinn, I think I have to play around with the scripts more to understand what I am doing wrong with Blinns.

Here are a couple of questions:

- Why does Indigo not start automatically from Maya. Also, I can not get an Indigo XML file to launch Indigo unless they are in the same directory as the Indigo.exe, I get an -could not open file "localinifile.txt"- error. Maybe there is an environmental variable I need to set?
- Is the Normal Smoothing in the Object Editor using the smoothing angle from Maya, or is it a set (one standard angle) smoothing angle?
- I there a way to include texture maps through Maya currently?

Also, about the whole Maya 8 debate, I"m glad you said you were sorry CTZn, it seems MattMR2 is only trying to help out. I have not yet green lighted Maya 8 for the company I work at to use, even though we have it.

I look forward to more updates :D

MattMR2

Post by MattMR2 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:06 am

Hello,

Don't worry CTZn :wink: ... I tell that about maya 8 because I ever tried it... and in our MR (sorry to tell something about an other render) pipeline, to much things are not really good in maya 8, at the moment. just to closed the subject of maya 8, MR 3.5 works good with maya (poseidon production...) but not at the released one call 8.

I tell you something about maya 8 only to tried to found an answer at your troubles... because exporter works good in maya 7 so it's maybe maya 8 or an other things on your system can make it failed...

If you have a mail I can send you a xml scene tomorrow, I forgot my external HDD.

Best regards.

Matt

Technical Director / SHAX studio.

PS : Maya 8 debate was only to try to help you :wink:

MattMR2

Post by MattMR2 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:16 am

It's me again I forget to tell something to tripfall... blinn are convert in the specular material so you can do perfect mirror or dielectric material... so no diffuse only :

Code: Select all

<specular>
                <transparent>true</transparent>
                <ior>1.5</ior>
                <cauchy_b_coeff>0.0</cauchy_b_coeff>
                <rgb_absorptivity>0 0 0</rgb_absorptivity> 
</specular> 
so you can use rgb_absorptivity to color your perfect mirror or glass material.

Matt

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:15 am

And concerning textures with Indigo...

Yeah sorry again for my loss of control. I'm just harrassed to see that some people are repeating bad stuff about Maya 8 without having tested it, I was prone to that at the beginning too and I admit it has just been botched up for SIGGRAPH, but I'm now using it my little way and it's working just fine for me :? I know it may not be the case thorough a whole production pipeline.

For know I'm just waiting for someone to test the exporter with Maya 8 so we'll know if the problem is local to me or not, don't bother for the scene Matt as Arne provided one already.

Thank you !

arneoog
Indigo 100

Post by arneoog » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:18 am

Thank you very much, tripnfall! :D 8)
- Why does Indigo not start automatically from Maya. Also, I can not get an Indigo XML file to launch Indigo unless they are in the same directory as the Indigo.exe, I get an -could not open file "localinifile.txt"- error. Maybe there is an environmental variable I need to set?
That is some sort of environmental error... It doesn't work for me either :)
I cant get Maya to understand that indigo.exe should be opened inside of that folder... :?
to open a file from another directory, just write the whole path in the inifile.txt
- Is the Normal Smoothing in the Object Editor using the smoothing angle from Maya, or is it a set (one standard angle) smoothing angle?
If you want the object to be flat shaded you just turn of smooth shading in the objects attributes :wink:
- I there a way to include texture maps through Maya currently?
Nope...

ThatDude33

Post by ThatDude33 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:11 am

yeah, I'm gonna add textures tomorrow, as well as rat out that ugly localinifile bug

;)

peace,
Matt
Matt B. >>Maya To Indigo<<

arneoog
Indigo 100

Post by arneoog » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:13 am

Yay! :D
Good luck with the "localinifile bug" :lol:
Haven't managed that myself... heh :)

ThatDude33

Post by ThatDude33 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:15 am

:shock:
Matt B. >>Maya To Indigo<<

MattMR2

Post by MattMR2 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:56 pm

Hi,

Why do not put directly texture in a relative path like :

texture/test.jpg

like indigo and force it directly in the material bloc... so it's possible to make a text caption for the "texture dir" and an other who only take the name of files... after in the exporter panel who choose where write xml file so user must put the directory who contain the directory texture... after to launch indigo via maya, you can maybe use the function who call a cmd command to launch indigo, like a command who start a cmd who start indigo so if the first cmd is in the indigo dir, normally indigo will start in local forced by the first cmd relative path... I do this to make batch render in cmd command and work with indigo...

@echo off
indigo.exe

but this cmd must be in the same place of indigo exe... I use this trick to launch multi core by the ethernet in local when indigo didn't do multi-threads...
also maya can execute the first cmd with an absolute path without make an error directly by indigo :wink:

PS : I'm not programmer...lol...

psor
1st Place Winner

Post by psor » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:59 am

I have to agree with Matt. I use a shell script myself to render my .xml files,
it looks like this:

Code: Select all

@echo off

set INDIGOHOME=x:\Indigo\indigo_06

cd /d %INDIGOHOME%

start /b /belownormal Indigo.exe %1

exit

The batch script is associated with .xml files so that I've another entry in my context menu called "Render with Indigo". It works like a charm. ;o)

So I guess you could use a shell script and call that from Maya to start
Indigo without any errors.

take care
psor
"The sleeper must awaken"

bkircher

Maya 8

Post by bkircher » Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:34 am

First off: This thing rocks! (=Very Happy)

Alas, w. Maya 8 I'm also experiencing this issue with LightLinker1.incandency being requested.
Creating a custom attribute .incandency and providing a Colour Value to it,
a file is exportet and indigo crashes with a memory error.
(=Very Sad)

[I know this is heavy dabbling, yet maybe it's a hint]

Maya 7 experiences doesn't show this problem though, so I can toy around somewhat...

[P.S. some problem with the emoticon preview, so I'm using a workaround: I type in a bracke... aargh]

66 posts