Indigo 1.1.9

General News and accouncements regarding the Indigo render engine
Borgleader

Post by Borgleader » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:07 am

So I guess all we can do now is wait and see what Ono decides to add/fix next? :wink:

And yeah I personally prefer new features rather than faster rendering times.
benn hired a mercenary to kill my sig...

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:37 pm

...still waiting patiently for some information on how to use efficacy scale and emission scale... :roll: :)

I haven't found anything useful in the test scenes for efficacy scale with emitting materials. I would like to see both efficacy scale and emission scale as material attributes, not mesh attributes, if possible.

Big Fan

Post by Big Fan » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:07 pm

@Whaat
I have decided emission scale is not applicable to mesh lights and left it out.
That is mesh lights are a different breed to emissive materials.
You will still be waiting for ono come next summer :wink:

BTW have you success using albedo maps in any materials with new code?
I have these loading with no exceptions now but they do not show in the render :roll:
I have looked over this again and again but I cannot see any error in the xml I make.

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:58 pm

Big Fan wrote:BTW have you success using albedo maps in any materials with new code?
I have these loading with no exceptions now but they do not show in the render :roll:
I have looked over this again and again but I cannot see any error in the xml I make.
Maybe this will help. I've had no problems with maps.

Code: Select all

<material>
			<name>previewmaterial</name>
		<phong>
				<texture>
					<uv_set>default</uv_set>

<path>textures/Tile_Checker_BW.jpg</path>
					<a>0.0</a>
					<b>1.0</b>
					<c>0.0</c>
					<exponent>2.2</exponent>
				</texture>
				<texture>
					<uv_set>default</uv_set>
					<a>0.0</a>
					<b>0.02</b>
					<c>0.0</c>
					<exponent>1.0</exponent>
				</texture>
				<texture>
					<uv_set>default</uv_set>
					<a>0.0</a>
					<b>0.2</b>
					<c>0.0</c>
					<exponent>1.0</exponent>
				</texture>
			<diffuse_albedo>
				<texture>
					<texture_index>0</texture_index>
				</texture>
			</diffuse_albedo>
			<ior>1.52</ior>
			<exponent>
		<constant>1000</constant>
			</exponent>
			<bump>
				<texture>
					<texture_index>1</texture_index>
				</texture>
			</bump>
			<displacement>
				<texture>
					<texture_index>2</texture_index>
				</texture>
			</displacement>
		</phong>
 		</material>

Big Fan

Post by Big Fan » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:48 pm

OK found the issue :D :D its not the textures that are the problem :?

In previous Blendigos the RGB colour info was included in the export regardless of the albedo texture presence
Indigo would ignore the RGB col and use the texture.

Now it will use the colour info first and disregard the texture.

The latest Indigo will still take the old style code and render it correctly but not in the case of the same scene done in the new style with the colour in it

so now I know how to fix it :idea: :wink:

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:13 pm

suvakas wrote:Just a small question (sorry if it has been discussed already).
Should the interactive stuff (tone mapping, light layers, etc) work while doing a network rendering or not?
Ideally, yes.

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:14 pm

lyc wrote:hmm there's a problem with the glossy glass, see attachment.

edit: not a bug, just looks horrible without mlt!
Yeah, the glossy glass BSDF is resulting in high variance weights for some reason, consider it a bug.

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:17 pm

Whaat wrote:...still waiting patiently for some information on how to use efficacy scale and emission scale... :roll: :)

I haven't found anything useful in the test scenes for efficacy scale with emitting materials. I would like to see both efficacy scale and emission scale as material attributes, not mesh attributes, if possible.
Documentation coming soon. In the mean time, check out luminance_test.igs and luminous_flux_test.igs.

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:21 pm

Regarding the current poll on what would be most helpful for Indigo users, It seems pretty clear that rendering speed is the most desired improvement.
That's fine; I have lots of ideas on how to improve performance.
Of course, making such improvements takes serious development time, so as always, it's a trade-off between increased performance and new features.

Azazeo

Post by Azazeo » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:15 pm

Gimme fuel!
Gimme fire!
Gimme that which I desire!

Speed! More speed! :twisted:
...and the Earth becomes my throne!

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:03 am

OnoSendai wrote:Regarding the current poll on what would be most helpful for Indigo users, It seems pretty clear that rendering speed is the most desired improvement.
That's fine; I have lots of ideas on how to improve performance.
Of course, making such improvements takes serious development time, so as always, it's a trade-off between increased performance and new features.
another area for speed improvements i think would be real helpful is the 3d-package-to-Indigo pipe cuz its a wee bit difficult to make quick test renders when it takes a couple minutes to export and fire up the scene. i guess thats more of an exporter issue, but im guessing the fact that you have to go through an intermediate XML file slows things down as opposed to a plugin (a la mentalray n maxwell etc etc etc).

again, feel free to correct me if im wrong, im nothing but a mere end-user.

fused
Developer
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by fused » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:11 am

StompinTom wrote:another area for speed improvements i think would be real helpful is the 3d-package-to-Indigo pipe cuz its a wee bit difficult to make quick test renders when it takes a couple minutes to export and fire up the scene. i guess thats more of an exporter issue, but im guessing the fact that you have to go through an intermediate XML file slows things down as opposed to a plugin (a la mentalray n maxwell etc etc etc).

thats only possible with the commercial SDK, there is a plugin of that type in the making: IndigoTinted for XSI Unveiled

Phoenix
Indigo 100

Post by Phoenix » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:53 am

fused wrote:
StompinTom wrote:another area for speed improvements i think would be real helpful is the 3d-package-to-Indigo pipe cuz its a wee bit difficult to make quick test renders when it takes a couple minutes to export and fire up the scene. i guess thats more of an exporter issue, but im guessing the fact that you have to go through an intermediate XML file slows things down as opposed to a plugin (a la mentalray n maxwell etc etc etc).

thats only possible with the commercial SDK, there is a plugin of that type in the making: IndigoTinted for XSI Unveiled
I wonder, if it wouldn't be at least for the new C4D R11 possible/expedient to benefit from the new supported COLLADA format.

As it's also based on XML and is an open standard it should make it perhaps a lot easier and better for you to create the *.igs files out of Cindigo. And perhaps also without the need of external *.obj files for the meshes, but I'm not sure about that.

The disadvantage is, that it won't work with pre R11 C4D versions.

But maybe COLLADA is also something interesting for Ono to implement it in Indigo but I don't know exactly if that is really reasonable cause my background knowledge is too little about this topic. :roll:

Edit:
Oh, I think I misunderstood the topic, you were talking about a closer seamless integration of Indigo in the host 3d packages, right?

That would of course be really cool if that could be handled somehow. 8)

Lord of the Rings Junkie

Post by Lord of the Rings Junkie » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:22 am

I think the linear tone mapping slider needs a drop-down box next to it with an exponent multiplier. :) (i.e. Slider value x 10 to the nth, where n is an integer 0 or greater.)

I think it's fantastic that we can adjust tonemapping on the fly now! The only thing missing that Violet had is a histogram.

Direct value entry for the sliders would be nice too. :)

[Edit] Doh! Me again... Perhaps there could be a button that forces an update of the render buffer, that way you don't have to wait 20-30 seconds to see the changes take effect.
Last edited by Lord of the Rings Junkie on Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

fused
Developer
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by fused » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:26 am

Phoenix wrote:Oh, I think I misunderstood the topic, you were talking about a closer seamless integration of Indigo in the host 3d packages, right?

That would of course be really cool if that could be handled somehow. 8)
could be, not for free of charge, tho.

73 posts