You play video games too much when...

Discuss stuff not about Indigo.
9 posts • Page 1 of 1
Borgleader

You play video games too much when...

Post by Borgleader » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:11 am

You try out a carjacking in real life like it's done in GTA IV.
Dailytech wrote: Murderer wanted to see if carjacking was as easy in real-life as it was in-game

Thailand authorities banned best-selling videogame Grand Theft Auto 4 Tuesday, following an outrage sparked by the brutal carjacking and murder of a taxicab driver. Reports indicate that the perpetrator, 19-year-old Polwat Chinno, cited an intention to act out the game’s carjacking scenes.
Source

Pretty much all I got to say on this is... SERIOUSLY WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU???

Discuss?
benn hired a mercenary to kill my sig...

dougal2
Developer

Re: You play video games too much when...

Post by dougal2 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:43 am

Borgleader wrote:Discuss?
The world is full of head cases who can't distinguish fantasy form reality (or choose not to). End.

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:15 am

reality != reality

zsouthboy

Re: You play video games too much when...

Post by zsouthboy » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:29 am

dougal2 wrote:
Borgleader wrote:Discuss?
The world is full of head cases who can't distinguish fantasy form reality (or choose not to). End.

butbutbutbut think of the children!
Last edited by zsouthboy on Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

matsta

Post by matsta » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:02 am

honestly. fucking retard. he just gave self righteous mommy groups backing to cut the production of upcoming games for the next decade or so. god, think before you act like a complete fart knocker. zboy i agree, god, if you are old enough to actually hijack a car, you'd expect that your old enough to handle the responsibility of playing an R rated game, if not, your just not doing life correctly. press f2

over stuff like this
but nice find

mat

zsouthboy

Post by zsouthboy » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:21 am

The thing is, I don't understand why games get picked on.

Movies and music, however, have already gone through this bullshit (rock and roll is the devil, etc.).

However, I guess video games as an industry is still quite young.

Here's one of my favorite arguments AGAINST banning say, Grand Theft Auto:

Do you know how many copies of that game were sold?
Millions. Millions of people have bought and played that game.

If there were something in the game causing people to...stab other people and hijack cars, wouldn't we see a nationwide epidemic of said actions?

Borgleader

Post by Borgleader » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:06 am

I agree with you zsouth, in fact my friends made an oral for english class on the subject.

I think that these people (who hijack cars and kill people "just to see what its like") are somewhat like "ticking bombs", anything could've triggered them, it just happened to be video games (as they are really fun and a growing trend worldwide).

samething with dawson college, they blamed video games in his case too but fuck...i played diablo 2 when i was like 9-10, and a LOT more violent games ever since and i never got into a fight in my life so...yeah.
benn hired a mercenary to kill my sig...

fused
Developer
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by fused » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:34 am

perception of reality is very subjective for some people... :shock:

SimonLarsen

Post by SimonLarsen » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:24 am

I pretty much agree with zsouthboy and Borgleader.
There's always these rare cases of people who can't distinguish games, movies ect. from real life, but that doesn't mean that an otherwise great game, enjoyed by millions of people worldwide, should be banned.

I've been a pacifist for almost all of my life, but still I find it extremely satisfying to cut a guy in half with a chainsaw and teabag his corpse... in games!!!
A lot of studies have shown, that we humans have urges to kill and are attracted to violence (just watch a car crash on a large road or all of these gross websites with dead people). And that violent games and movies is a civilized way of "pleasing" these urges.

It's just like with the Columbine (and all the other high school massacres) where Golden Eye (that awesome N64 FPS game), Marilyn Manson (yeah, their music suck, but doesn't encourage anybody to murder) ect. was blamed for the killings.
This was even by educated politicians. You would think they were wiser than that.

Oh, btw, I haven't even had the opportunity to try GTA IV yet. :(

9 posts • Page 1 of 1